Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean…

Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move (1995)

by Judith Viorst, Robin Preiss Glasser (Illustrator)

Other authors: Ray Cruz (Illustrator)

Series: Alexander by Judith Viorst (3)

This book perfectly captured a young child's attitude toward moving to a new place when they have grown so familiar with their current home. His repeated mantra, "I'm not - DO YOU HEAR ME? I MEAN IT! - going to move." was Alexander's way of rebelling against the move. His brothers always told him he was being silly and immature, but his parents kept reassuring him that he would find a new soccer team, new sitter, and new friends soon enough. I particularly loved the illustrations, even though they were in black and white. I chuckled out loud a few times like when he suggested hiding in the pickle barrel so they wouldn't be able to find him when it was time to move. Alexander is clever, but also felt nostalgic about all the places around town. He had great neighborhood dogs, friends, and lots of memories. This book would be great for a read aloud since there is quite a bit of text. ( )
  owaguespack | Oct 4, 2018 |
Alexander is in deep denial about moving - he doesn't want to and he won't! His fears and insecurities of moving away from his friends and his known environment are confronted and comforted. He decides that moving might not be horrible after all.

SOURCE: home bookshelf
AGES: 5-8 ( )
  kendianna | Dec 15, 2017 |
Everyone in Alexander's family are packing and getting ready for their big move. Everyone except Alexander. He absolutely, no way is moving. He begins to think of a list of people in the neighborhood that he could move in with so he doesn't have to leave his school and friends. Alexander begins to tell of the special people in his life good-bye, even though he says it won't really be good-bye since he's not moving. Slowly but surely, Alexander starts to feel better about moving when his dad brings home a dog for him. His mom says he'll be able to call all of his friends, and even his normally mean brothers say he can sleep in their room if he gets lonely in the new house. Even though he still doesn't like it, Alexander packs up his things and agrees to move, but this is it. Alexander is definitely not moving ever again.

We can clearly see Alexander's character develop while reading this story. He starts off beyond stubborn, refusing to pack and denying the fact that he's moving. Slowly, he starts to say his goodbyes and comes to terms with the fact that he has no choice but to move. In the end, thanks to the encouragement of his family and friends, Alexander packs his things. Still being Alexander though, he makes it a point to say he'll never move again after this. ( )
  T.Spears | Sep 14, 2017 |
Another great Alexander book! This one deals with moving and I think it would be a helpful story to read if you are moving and your child is worry about that transition. It's a silly read and will make you chuckle. Another must-have! ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
I like this book because of the storyline and the illustrations. The storyline is something that some kids can relate to (moving). For example, "I'll never have a best friends like Paul again." I can imagine if a kid reading this who is about to move, they can relate very strongly to the main character. I also like the illustrations. They are all black and white but very detailed. As the reader, you can tell exactly how Alexander is feeling throughout the book. The moral of this story is that sometimes change is good. ( )
  adietr3 | Mar 27, 2017 |

Judith Viorstprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glasser, Robin PreissIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cruz, RayIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ada, Alma FlorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Miranda Rachel Viorst -- J.V.
For my sister Erica, who has always been there for me -- R.P.G.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689820895, Paperback)

Alexander is not going to leave his best friend Paul. Or Rachel, the best babysitter in the world. Or the Baldwins, who have a terrific dog named Swoozie. Or Mr. and Mrs. Oberdorfer, who always give great treats on Halloween. Who cares if his father has a new job a thousand miles away? Alexander is not -- Do you hear him? He Means it! -- going to move.

Alexander's back, facing another of childhood's trials and tribulations with Judith Viorst's trademark humor and keen sense of what's important to kids.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

Angry Alexander refuses to move away if it means having to leave his favorite friends and special places.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,487,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible