Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5) by…

Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5) (edition 2010)

by Lisa Kleypas

Member:ilibridifrancy
Title:Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas

English (36)  Czech (1)  All (37)
Love in the Afternoon
4 Stars

Wonderful beginning but sort of fizzles once the "I Love You's" come along.

The opening sequence with the exchange of letters between Beatrix and Christopher is original and refreshing, and their reunion and subsequent revelations had me tearing up on more than one occasion.

The characterization is simply excellent. Beatrix is a unique and adorable heroine with a determination and strength of will that set her apart. Throughout the series her hilarious interactions with various animals are exceptionally engaging and her scenes with Albert are no exception. Christopher's evolution from a spoiled and shallow jerk into an intense and sensitive hero is seamless and the descriptions of his PTSD and his reactions to the episodes are heart-wrenching. The fact that remnants of his initial character remain when he is first reunited with Beatrix adds a realistic element to his transition (at this point, he infuriated me and I was convinced the Bea was better off without him).

The relationship between Christopher and Beatrix is intensely emotional and deeply passionate. The one aspect that disappoints, however, is the fact that once they declare themselves, the story has nowhere to go and the mini-conflict tacked on at the end is completely unnecessary and adds little to the romance.

All in all, a satisfying ending to a wonderful series that I can recommend wholeheartedly to lovers of well written romance. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Series Rating 4.5 Stars

I absolutely adored this one! Beatrix is beyond amazing and her relationship with Christopher was heartfelt from the very first page. There are definite re-reads in my future for Books 2, 3 and 5. The stories of Poppy and Beatrix are at the tops for me and I think a lot of that was in the discovery of finding their special someone.

And for me the sweetest character in this book...

" ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
Captain Christopher Phelan and Beatrix Hathaway's story is so hot and beautiful; the longing and pain for each other is obvious in every page, and of course there is the whole family to make you laugh. I loved that Christopher loved Bea without even seeing her through her letters, it is so romantic. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
To my brilliant and utterly fabulous friend Eloisa. If I may paraphrase E.B. White: “It is not often that
someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Eloisa is both.”
Love always,
L.K.
It all began with a letter.
Take too much time, and time will take you.
When we started to restore the Ramsay estates, we told ourselves the best thing we could do was make a mistake. It meant we would learn something.

As a lover of animals and nature, Beatrix Hathaway has always been more comfortable outdoors than in the ballroom. Even though she participated in the London season in the past, the classic beauty and free-spirited Beatrix has never been swept away or seriously courted…and she has resigned herself to the fate of never finding love. Has the time come for the most unconventional of the Hathaway sisters to settle for an ordinary man—just to avoid spinsterhood?

Captain Christopher Phelan is a handsome, daring soldier who plans to marry Beatrix’s friend, the vivacious flirt Prudence Mercer, when he returns from fighting abroad. But, as he explains in his letters to Pru, life on the battlefield has darkened his soul—and it’s becoming clear that Christopher won’t come back as the same man. When Beatrix learns of Pru’s disappointment, she decides to help by concocting Pru’s letters to Christopher for her. Soon the correspondence between Beatrix and Christopher develops into something fulfilling and deep…and when Christopher comes home, he’s determined to claim the woman he loves. What began as Beatrix’s innocent deception has resulted in the agony of unfulfilled love—and a passion that can’t be denied…

"As a lover of animals and nature, Beatrix Hathaway has always been more comfortable outdoors than in the ballroom. Even though she has participated in the London season in the past, the classic beauty and free-spirited Beatrix has never been swept away or seriously courted...and she has resigned herself to the fate of never finding love. Has the time come for the most unconventional of the Hathaway sisters to settle for an ordinary man--just to avoid spinsterhood?..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,183,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible