Among the Hidden (Shadow Children #1) by…

Among the Hidden (Shadow Children #1) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix, Cliff Nielsen (Illustrator), Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)

Title:Among the Hidden (Shadow Children #1)
Authors:Margaret Peterson Haddix
Other authors:Cliff Nielsen (Illustrator), Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2000), Edition: 1, Paperback, 153 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Published Before 2000, Novel
Tags:population police, third children, barons, farmers, solitary confinement, forest, over population, massacres, protests, chat rooms, bribery

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (1998)

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (infiniteletters)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix (jtippett)

This was actually the second time that I have read this book, but it has been so long that I had forgotten how good it really was. This book takes place in a world where population growth is strictly governed and families can only have two children. Society is very split before the haves and the haves not and the government is the one enforcing it. I think this books is even more relevant today because of all the over population issues we have around the world. This book offers some important questions that the next generation might have to address.
  NathanMerlin | Oct 11, 2015 |
Anyone who likes books about life in a futuristic society will like this one also. The story revolves around a boy who is hidden in his home because society forbids a family from having more than one child. Famines have caused the government to become very powerful in an effort to deal with the shortage of food. People have very limited liberties, including the kinds of food they can buy. Although the totalitarian actions of the government are mentioned in the story, the main plot involves the feelings of the boy, Lucas, as he deals with his predicament. A quick read. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
Overpopulation is put a hold on by limiting the number of children. The main character makes an unexpected friend, they connect over the situation. Good science fiction.
  amkestek | Aug 13, 2015 |
I don't know why this isn't more popular than it is; It think it was a better read than The Giver, which I know is a blasphemous thing to say, but there it is.
This would be a good alternative to The Giver, actually, especially for a group with a slightly lower reading level, as the characters are a bit more realistic and the suspense level is higher. My students usually don't feel the suspense of The Giver because they struggle with the literal comprehension of what's even happening most of the time.

I look forward to reading the next book in the series!

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This is the story of Luke and the law against his very existence. In this futuristic society, it is illegal for anyone to have more than two children. Here in lies Luke's story. This book truly surprised me, and enticed me. The first, let's say, two to three chapters were hard for me to wrap around and stay focused but I'm glad I hung in there and boy was it a ride. Once Luke finds out that there is another third child in his midst the story is enthralling and progresses at a beautiful pace. There was suspense and tension that kept me captivated the entire time and end of the journey. What I love most is that the book took turns that I did not think it would take at all. I thought I could guess the outcome of the book and the decisions that Luke would make but it did not at all and I did not expect it at all, and I loved every part of it. Like I said earlier, this book surprised me in every way possible. There are also so many great themes here for young adults to analyze and contribute in such conversations. I would definitely recommend this book to any young reader. ( )
  alejandro.santana | Aug 4, 2015 |

Margaret Peterson Haddixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For John and Janet
He saw the first tree shudder and fall, far off in the distance. Then he heard his mother call out the kitchen window: "Luke! Inside. Now."
I know you're scared- who isn't? But this is important. Do you want to hide all your life, or do you want to change history?

Luke has never been to school. He's never had a birthday party, or gone to a friend's house for an overnight. In fact, Luke has never had a friend.

Luke is one of the shadow children, a third child forbidden by the Population Police. He's lived his entire life in hiding, and now, with a new housing development replacing the woods next to his family's farm, he is no longer even allowed to go outside.

Then, one day Luke sees a girl's face in the window of a house where he knows two other children already live. Finally, he's met a shadow child like himself. Jen is willing to risk everything to come out of the shadows -- does Luke dare to become involved in her dangerous plan? Can he afford not to?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:32 -0400)

In a future where the Population Police enforce the law limiting a family to only two children, Luke has lived all his twelve years in isolation and fear on his family's farm, until another "third" convinces him that the government is wrong.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,852,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible