Among the Hidden (Shadow Children #1) by…

Among the Hidden (Shadow Children #1) (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix, Cliff Nielsen (Illustrator), Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)

Member:butterbrodt
Title:Among the Hidden (Shadow Children #1)
Authors:Margaret Peterson Haddix
Other authors:Cliff Nielsen (Illustrator), Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2000), Edition: 1, Paperback, 153 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Published Before 2000, Novel
Tags:population police, third children, barons, farmers, solitary confinement, forest, over population, massacres, protests, chat rooms, bribery

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (1998)

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (infiniteletters)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (writecathy)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these riveting, suspenseful and thought-provoking dystopian novels, 12-year-old boys learn from inspirational figures about the true nature of their repressive societies: Jonas, from the elderly Giver; Luke, from another hidden -- albeit, more privileged and knowledgeable -- "third child."… (more)
    Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix (jtippett)

This book would be good to use when talking about how the world could be in the near future. I think the students will like this book because the character is relatable and they could imagine having that life. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 5, 2015 |
While I have not read this books recently, it was among my favorites in elementary school. Books about dystopian societies are always on my radar. I will definitely recommend this book, as well as the ones that follow it, to any of my students for independent reading. This series of books is suitable for third through sixth grade.
  Sarah.Lew | Apr 30, 2015 |
N. liked it and said 'yes Mom you should read it & I'm glad I did but I doubt either of us will read the rest.' He's absolutely right. Good exploration of an important theme - but I'm not sure I want to keep on going with it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Among the Hidden is about a boy named Luke who has to be in constant hiding from the population police because he is a third child which is against the rules. Luke struggles with hiding away especially when a new housing development is built next door. Now Luke is put under even stricter rules where he is not allowed to go outside or be near any open window. After a while Luke begins to notice what he believes is another third child next door. He sneaks out in order to see her and finds out that she has been in contact with many other third children and that they are not the only ones. The girl encourages Luke to attend a rally in which we later find out he was wise not to attend. This book is a science fiction novel.
  Jcadd13 | Apr 14, 2015 |
Realistic fiction,Population police have a law that only allows families to have 2 kids and no more. Luke happen to be the 3rd child born in the family and has had to spend his whole life hiding in the house due to fear of being seen. If the population police find out about Luke they would take him away and possibly kill him like all the other 3rd children they have found. Luke gets new neighbors and soon discovers that there is another 3rd child living there. He sneaks over to her house and they soon become friends and they start talking about starting a rally with all the other 3rd children to over throw the rule. ( )
  Rsantoyo13 | Feb 24, 2015 |

Margaret Peterson Haddixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For John and Janet
He saw the first tree shudder and fall, far off in the distance. Then he heard his mother call out the kitchen window: "Luke! Inside. Now."
I know you're scared- who isn't? But this is important. Do you want to hide all your life, or do you want to change history?

Luke has never been to school. He's never had a birthday party, or gone to a friend's house for an overnight. In fact, Luke has never had a friend.

Luke is one of the shadow children, a third child forbidden by the Population Police. He's lived his entire life in hiding, and now, with a new housing development replacing the woods next to his family's farm, he is no longer even allowed to go outside.

Then, one day Luke sees a girl's face in the window of a house where he knows two other children already live. Finally, he's met a shadow child like himself. Jen is willing to risk everything to come out of the shadows -- does Luke dare to become involved in her dangerous plan? Can he afford not to?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:12 -0400)

In a future where the Population Police enforce the law limiting a family to only two children, Luke has lived all his twelve years in isolation and fear on his family's farm, until another "third" convinces him that the government is wrong.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,282,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible