And Justice There Is None by Deborah Crombie

And Justice There Is None

by Deborah Crombie

Series: Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James (8)

English (20)  French (1)  All languages (21)
AND JUSTICE THERE IS NONE by Deborah Crombie is Book #8 in her Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James mystery series.
This book is excellently plotted with very interesting characters and situations. I like the emphasis on location. (In this book we learn about the history of the Notting Hill area of London.) There are layers of ‘back stories’ which all come together at the end.
This period is a very difficult one for Gemma and Duncan’s personal and professional relationship.
All of the ‘endings’ leave the reader with a great sense of sadness.
Highly recommended title and series. ( )
  diana.hauser | Feb 15, 2019 |
Dawn Arrowood was six weeks pregnant. Her lover, Alex Dunn, a porcelain dealer in London's bustling Portobello Market, appears absolutely devastated by her death, but Gemma's main focus of investigation is soon Karl Arrowood, who had the most powerful motive for killing his unfaithful wife. But this case sets off warning bells for Duncan: it's far too similar to an unsolved murder in which an antiques dealer was killed in precisely the same way and when the escalating violence claims yet another victim, he and Gemma find themselves at increasing odds with each other -- as two separate investigations become linked in the most startling of ways. Their hunt for a killer will traverse the teeming stalls of the city's antiques markets to a decades-in-the-making vendetta of history and hatred that has been honed to a flawless, deadly point. To solve this case, Gemma and Duncan must walk a merciless razor's edge through a place where true justice will be a long time coming.
I enjoyed this book #8 of the Kincaid/James police procedural series. Crombie's books never disappoint. I like how the relationship between Duncan and Gemma is coming along. It's best to read this series in order as the characters grow with the series. I found this book to have an intricate plot but still a very entertaining read. Her books continue to be page-turners with very surprise endings. I look forward to reading the next book in the series and I would highly recommend this series to those who love British mystery novels. ( )
  EadieB | Mar 18, 2018 |
Gemma James heads her first investigation as an Inspector, when the wife of a well-known antiques dealer is murdered in her front garden. At the same time, she and Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid are planning for the birth of their child, having finally decided to move in together. Kincaid has been looking into another murder some time earlier, and he begins to suspect that there are links between the two deaths, links that might relate to the antiques dealer’s extracurricular activities…. I have read the first two books in Deborah Crombie’s James/Kincaid series; this one is, I think, the eighth, so I have skipped quite a few in between. As a result, there’s a number of things about this relationship that I don’t know about. Despite that, I enjoyed the story and the psychological underpinnings of the characters. I was disappointed by the ending, however, so I’m not certain whether I will pursue this series further or, as with this book, just pick up any in the series that I run across in a used bookstore. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Feb 21, 2018 |
Decent British police procedural. 4.5 years ago, I read #2, All Shall Be Well. I rather liked it, but my comments there are equally applicable to this book. "While I enjoyed the book, I found it slow and tedious at times. Further, the conclusion, while pulling together various characters and unresolved questions, also draws a rabbit out of the hat." In #8, Gemma is no longer with Scotland Yard, but is a DCI. The main difference is that (1) she is pregnant with his baby and (2) they move in together. Nevertheless, Duncan finds a way to involve himself in the case, and Gemma professes to enjoy working with him again.

I know Crombie has her ardent fans, and that's fine, but the MC's seem kind of drab to me, and their relationship seems to be more one of convenience more than excitement. I won't be rushing out to grab another in the series. ( )
  MidwestGeek | Dec 29, 2017 |
Dawn Arrowood, the trophy wife of a much-older antiques dealer, is found dead – with her throat slit – in her driveway. It’s a brutal crime and seemingly personal – certainly not random. But who would want her dead. Suspicions fall on the husband, but there are other possibilities. It takes some digging into the characters’ pasts to solve this crime and there are no better investigators than Gemma James and Duncain Kincaid of Scotland Yard.

Kincaid remembers a similar crime a few years back and pretty soon he and Gemma are whispering “serial killer.”

Intertwined with main tale is the story of “Angel,” a young woman whom readers learn about in bits and pieces sprinkled throughout the book. What is Angel’s tie to the murder? And there certainly must be one. And who, exactly, is she?

And Justice There is None has a satisfyingly complex plot, great secondary characters and top-notch writing. Just what readers expect from Deborah Crombie. ( )
  NewsieQ | Oct 17, 2017 |

Crombie, Deborahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodska, ChristianNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chergé, Gérard deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deehy, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jäger, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun no longer shows
His face; and treason sows
His secret seeds that no man can detect;
Fathers by their children are undone;
The brother would the brother cheat;
And the cowled monk is a deceit...
Might is right, and justice there is none.

Walther von der Vogelweide
For Nanny
He ran, as so many others ran, the black anorak protecting him from the mist, the reflective patches on his trainers gleaming as he passed under the street lamps.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579304, Mass Market Paperback)

The life of Scotland Yard's Gemma James is changing in major ways--she's just been promoted to Inspector, she's pregnant, and she and her young son are about to move into spacious new digs with her lover, Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid. Then the beautiful young wife of a Portobello Road antiques dealer is murdered in the driveway of her Notting Hill home and the case lands in Gemma's disappearing lap. Dawn Arrowood, as Gemma soon discovers, was pregnant when she died, most likely by Alex Dunn, a porcelain dealer in Portobello Market whose disappearance after the murder makes him a prime suspect. But Gemma rules him out as the killer, focusing her investigation on Karl Arrowood, the dead woman's husband. When Karl is murdered, she's stymied, but then Kincaid's investigation into what may be a serial killer turns up a bizarre connection to Gemma's case and a link to Karl Arrowood's sideline as a drug smuggler. As usual, Crombie handles a complicated plot with style, providing enough twists and turns to hold the reader's attention while driving the narrative to a stunning conclusion. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:10 -0400)

Award-winning author Deborah Crombie has elevated the modern mystery novel to new heights of human drama and multilayered suspense with her critically acclaimed tales of intrigue featuring Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James. In their latest outing, Kincaid and his former partner--and soon-to-be roommate--follow a twisting trail of rage and retribution whose buried roots are about to exact a deadly toll on the living. And Justice There is None Gemma James is adjusting to professional and personal changes that include her eagerly sought promotion to the rank of inspector--and a future now intricately entwined with Duncan Kincaid. But her new responsibilities are put to the test when she is placed in charge of a particularly brutal homicide: The lovely young wife of a wealthy antiques dealer has been found murdered on fashionable Notting Hill. Dawn Arrowood was six weeks pregnant. Her lover, Alex Dunn, a porcelain dealer in London's bustling Portobello Market, appears absolutely devastated by her death, but Gemma's the main focus of investigation is soon Karl Arrowood, who had the most powerful motive for killing his unfaithful wife. But this case sets off warning bells for Duncan: it's far too similar to an unsolved murder in which an antiques dealer was killed in precisely the same way and when the escalating violence claims yet another victim, he and Gemma find themselves at increasing odds with each other--as two separate investigations become linked in the most startling of ways. Their hunt for a killer will traverse the teeming stalls of the city's antiques markets to a decades-in-the-making vendetta of history and hatred that has been honed to a flawless, deadly point. To solve this case, Gemma and Duncan must walk a merciless razor's edge through a place where true justice will be a long time coming. From the Hardcover edition.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible