Romeo and Juliet by SparkNotes Editors

Romeo and Juliet (2003)

by Spark Notes Editors (Author)

380None28,300 (3.83)None

boring, couldn't understand it ( )
  smgs-ccarter | May 16, 2011 |
This was my first play by Shakespeare, and I enjoyed the play even more with the help of No Fear Shakespeare. Compared to the other Shakespearean plays, I felt though as if Romeo and Juliet is an introduction to the world of Shakespeare, because Romeo and Juliet is often (though one of the most famous) the least best of William Sakespeare's plays. With the modern translation, and footnotes, the process of reading a Shakespeare plays becomes feasible and enjoyable.
  bossgirlhana | Feb 26, 2011 |
I'm all for this series, not just for students. For anyone who wants to get into Shakespeare, it's great to have some help and not miss anything that is going on. I recommend reading Shakespeare's language first and then (when needed) the explanation (given side by side for every page). After a while you get used to the original language and you don't need the explanations as often. You'll feel comfortable enough with archaic words and phrases. For me Romeo and Juliet is at least as much a comedy as it is a tragedy. For the silly aspects of love - intoxication, unstable emotions, overly dramatic responses - R and J are a celebration and a parody. ( )
  joewmyrtle | Apr 23, 2009 |
Its a sweet book and very romantic. You dont want to put it down right aways. You just want to keep reading it to understand it. ( )
  bandit1 | Oct 26, 2008 |
Its a romance that has a little bit of action and lots of passion. Its a book that once u start reading it, u dont want to put the book down right away. ( )
  Lindsaybooklist | Oct 26, 2008 |

Is a student's study guide to

Two households, both alike in dignity
(In fair Verona, where we lay our scene),
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
In the beautiful city of Verona, where our story takes place, a long-standing hatred between two families erupts into new violence, and citizens stain their hands with blood of their fellow citizens.
This is a Sparks' Notes edition. Please do not combine it with Shakespeare's original play, Romeo and Juliet. Thank you.

Presents the original text of Shakespeare's play side by side with a modern version, with marginal notes and explanations and full descriptions of each character.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,437,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible