Artists in Crime by Ngaio Marsh

Artists in Crime (original 1938; edition 1997)

by Ngaio Marsh

Member:mirrordrum
Title:Artists in Crime
Authors:Ngaio Marsh
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***1/2

Artists in Crime by Ngaio Marsh (1938)

Recently added byryaSilvia, flu1918, SusanKrzywicki, private library, cbcsms, vrullan, K_Weston, shanaqui, EdJWebb, Clare_M
    The Five Red Herrings by Dorothy L. Sayers (Bjace)
    Bjace: Also about a murder among artists.

I was quite hopeful about Artists in Crime bringing Alleyn to life for me a bit more, since this is where he meets his love interest. In a way, the whole set-up of this relationship is reminding me a lot of Lord Peter, especially since Alleyn's mother has a title and so on. It's not exactly parallel, but close enough to annoy me a little.

Still, it does introduce a bit more of a human side to Alleyn. Bathgate's role is thankfully reduced, though the annoying creature does contrive to be present. Inspector Fox and all the other steady, reliable characters who attend Alleyn's crime scenes are present, and I am getting fond of them, especially since Fox is just different to Alleyn, not lesser in the way that, say, Watson is. Alleyn doesn't condescend to him like Wimsey to Parker, too.

I'll need a bit more time with Troy to decide what to think about her and the relationship with Alleyn, but at least she brings in more of a personal life for him.

The mystery in itself, in this book, is typically convoluted and puzzle-like. I did catch on to most of the clues now, because I've sort of got used to the shape of these mysteries. ( )
  shanaqui | Jun 15, 2014 |
Listened to the audiobook read by Benedict Cumberbatch. Very well read (love how he does different, consistent voices for each character) and greatly enjoyed the story. Lovely old fashioned "who done it" that doesn't make the killer obvious, yet does give you clues in context as you go along. ( )
1 vote Clare_M | May 25, 2014 |
Roderick Alleyn is returning from a year-long vacation in New Zealand and strikes up an acquaintance with the famed artist Agatha Troy, who is also returning to that part of the world. He is smitten but feels like he's made a fool of himself, even if she did paint a very nice portrait of him. He resolves to put their acquaintance behind him and enjoy the last few days of his vacation with his mother, only to be called out to a case involving the death of an artist's model. The studio where the model works is owned by none other than Agatha Troy. This will certainly be an interesting case…

This might be my favourite Ngaio Marsh so far. The real joy lies in the interactions between Alleyn and his crew, and Alleyn and his mother, who is adorable. They all have such a good rapport and are quite affectionate in their teasing. The case itself is also interesting. I guessed one element of the solution, but not until the end when Alleyn was in the process of explaining whodunnit anyway. The story moves along fairly quickly, and the very end is well done indeed. Definitely recommended if you're looking to try a Marsh. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 27, 2013 |
I used to read Marsh’s Inspector Alleyn mysteries all the time–after Peter Wimsey he was probably my favorite fictional detective. Then I broadened my horizons, with the result that I haven’t read much by Marsh in awhile. This is the equivalent of Strong Poison for the series. Unfortunately, the library doesn’t have the equivalent of Gaudy Night. But that’s alright. I just used my Amazon gift card and bought it! [June 2010] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Aside from the excessive who was where when I enjoyed this mystery because It is in this story that Insp. Alleyn mets his romantic interest Troy. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |

Ngaio Marshprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Phyllis and John
Alleyn leant over the deck-rail, looking at the wet brown wharf and the upturned faces of the people.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312963599, Mass Market Paperback)

The art of detection gets clouded by desire.

It was a bizarre pose for beautiful model Sonia Gluck-and her last. For in the draperies of her couch lay a fatal dagger, and behind her murder lies all the intrigue and acid-etched temperament of an artist's colony. Called in to investigate, Scotland Yard's Inspector Roderick Alleyn finds his own passions unexpectedly stirred by the feisty painter Agatha Troy-brilliant artist and suspected murderess.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:31 -0400)

It' a difficult case for Chief Detective Inspector Alleyn. How can he believe that the woman he loves is a murderess? And yet no one can be above suspicion...

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible