Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink

Baby Island (1937)

by Carol Ryrie Brink

The Children Who Lived in a Barn by Eleanor Graham (betsytacy)
    betsytacy: In Baby Island, two sisters are shipwrecked on a island with a passel of babies to take care of, and in The Children Who Lived in a Barn, a 13-year-old girl is left in charge of her siblings when her parents take a brief trip and don't return. Both books show the resourceful of children in the absence of adults.… (more)
    The Cay by Theodore Taylor (bookel)
    Shipwreck Bay by Marian Rumsey (bookel)
    Hurricane! by Marian Rumsey (bookel)
    Found by June Oldham (bookel)
    Middle Island Mystery by Ruth Forbes Chandler (bookel)
    Earthquake Terror by Peg Kehret (bookel)
    The Island by Gary Paulsen (bookel)
    Pippi in the South Seas by Astrid Lindgren (infiniteletters)
    The Trolley Car Family by Eleanor Clymer (bookel)
    The Great Rat Island Adventure by Charlene Joy Talbot (bookel)
    Blue Bay Mystery (The Boxcar Children Mysteries #6) by Gertrude Chandler Warner (infiniteletters)
    The Castaway by Arthur J. Roth (bookel)
    The Adventurous Four by Enid Blyton (bookel)

3.9 Sweet, nostalgic, and simple. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
Sisters Mary and Jean love babies and are delighted there are four to play with on their voyage to Australia. When their ship starts to sink, they grab the babies and head for the life boats. Their boat is launched, they drift a few days, and they wind up on a deserted island. But if it is deserted, who made those footprints in the sand?

This was originally published in 1937. I bought the 1965 Scholastic Book Club edition (apparently for 45 cents) when I was in second grade. It was one of my favorites! I loved the idea of these two resourceful girls surviving on their own and being responsible for the four babies. I lost my copy years ago, but my daughter gave me a copy for my birthday.

I don't think today's readers would like it as well as I did when I was young. I now find the prose a little patronizing and dopey, which is why I now give it three stars when 50 years ago, I would have given it five stars. ( )
  Hope_H | Jul 10, 2016 |
I'm not sure why this was reissued after its original pub. in 1935. I guess there are some girls, even recently, who love the idea of having an adventure and having the pluck to not only survive, but to help cute little live dolls thrive.

However, all the good luck in the world was theirs, and everything they tried worked, even things that truly wouldn't. I might have enjoyed it as a child in the early 60s, but I can't imagine sharing it now. The most fun for me, now, was remembering my recent reread of [b:Lord of the Flies|7624|Lord of the Flies|William Golding|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327869409s/7624.jpg|2766512] and comparing the two....

I did enjoy the illustrations - line drawings reminiscent of those of Beth and Joe Krush. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The book begins with the Wallace sisters, twelve-year-old Mary and ten-year-old Jean, traveling alone on a ship to meet their father in Australia. The girls often babysit young children: at home, they had enjoyed "borrowing" the babies of neighbors.

Their ship is disabled in a storm, and the girls are set adrift in a lifeboat -- alone with four babies under two, the children of fellow passengers. The craft eventually drifts to a tropical island, and in a Robinson Crusoe-like scenario, they must learn to build shelter and survive on wild foodstuffs. They do this with great success, while raising the babies through various developmental milestones and adopting a baby monkey who they raise alongside the babies.

Throughout the story, the girls sing Scots We hae to inspire their courage to deal with their situation.

In the latter part of the book the girls also encounter a character like Friday: a mysterious, gruff man who lives alone on the island and dislikes children. He eventually warms to their babies, and they enjoy his company and his useful craftsmanship.

Finally, the girls are rescued on Christmas Day, after a storm, and all the babies are returned to their parents.

bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
Nonsensical fantasy about two strong-willed girls and the babies who seem never to advance much in age.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Carol Ryrie Brinkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barnett, MonetaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sewell, HelenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Twelve-year-old Mary Wallace and her ten-year-old sister Jean survive the wreck of an ocean liner on its way to Australia and manage to make it to a seemingly deserted island in a lifeboat with four babies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,508,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible