The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain

The Lies We Told (edition 2010)

by Diane Chamberlain

Member:Erin.Mast
Title:The Lies We Told
Authors:Diane Chamberlain
Info:Mira (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 379 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain

After a devastating hurricane hits the coast of North Carolina, Rebecca and Adam urge Maya to join them in the relief effort. To please her husband, Maya finally agrees. She loses herself in the care and transport of victims, but when her helicopter crashes into raging floodwaters, there appear to be no survivors.

Forced to accept Maya is gone, Rebecca and Adam turn to one another - first for comfort, then in passion - unaware that, miles from civilization, Maya is injured and trapped with strangers she's not certain she can trust. Away from the sister who has always been there to save her, now Maya must find the courage to save herself - unaware that the life she knew has changed forever.

My Thoughts: May contain spoilers.

This is the second book by DC that I have read and I didn’t enjoy it as much as ‘The bay at Midnight’.

I felt this book lost it way slightly and trailed off from what the impression was given by the title and how the book begins. I felt the characters were very too forgiving very quickly and really not realistic with their feelings. When Maya is believed to be missing then dead her husband and sister seem to forget her very quickly and don’t seem that bothered about her at all.

The story was ok but it lost it’s way with not a lot happening with the lies that were told and when revealed it wasn’t really focused on much. I felt that I was reading two books tied into one at times. I didn’t like the ending again it didn’t seem right and everybody was sugary and sweet and very forgiving.

The book wasn’t bad and I would read more by DC as I feel that after reading another by her which was really enjoyable I won’t let this one put me off. ( )
  tina1969 | Jun 30, 2013 |

Without going into the actual story, The Lies We Told has good developed characters. Feeling a connection to characters is the key to wanting to read a book. I will be honest. I almost gave up on this book. The first half was slow. However, I am glad I stuck it out. The last third had me glued to the pages. Would have rated it a four had the beginning not been such a long read. ( )
  Erin.Mast | Nov 25, 2012 |
Another captivating novel by Diane Chamberlain! ( )
  bookalover89 | Jun 28, 2012 |
This is another wonderfully crafted story by a very gifted author. It is amazing the way Chamberlain uses the twists and turns at just the right places. This is the story of sisters Rebecca and Maya Ward. The story tells of the challenges and bonds that unite these sisters from the time they lose their parents in a horrible double murder to the nightmare they endure as medical people working for a relief effort after a hurricane in North Carolina. Each sister keeps many truths to herself and when one sister is missing these lies seem to surface to make the girls doubt their feelings and love for the other. This is truly a must read especially for fans of Diane Chamberlain. ( )
  CandyH | Oct 23, 2011 |
Well written and engrossing at the time I read it. Almost a year later, I couldn't remember what the book was about. ( )
  CaraLindsey | Jun 21, 2011 |
To my sister, Joann Lopresti Scanlon. We are so lucky to have each other.
Every family has a story, told and retold so many times it seems firm and irrefutable. Etched in granite. Here are the bare bones of my family's story...

After a devastating hurricane hits the coast of North Carolina, Rebecca and Adam urge Maya to join them in the relief effort. To please her husband, Maya finally agrees. She loses herself in the care and transport of victims, but when her helicopter crashes into raging floodwaters, there appears to be no survivors.

Forced to accept that Maya is gone, Rebecca and Adam turn to one another first for comfort, then in passion, unaware that, miles from civilization, Maya is injured and trapped with strangers she's not certain she can trust. Away from the sister who has always been there to save her, now Maya must find the courage to save herself-unaware that the life she knew has changed forever

Maya and Rebecca Ward are both accomplished physicians, but that's where the sisters' similarities end. As teenagers, they witnessed their parents' murder, but it was Rebecca who saved Maya from becoming another of the gunman's victims. The tragedy left Maya cautious and timid, settling for a sedate medical practice with her husband, Adam, while Rebecca became the risk taker.… (more)

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible