Romancing Miss Brontë by Juliet Gael

Romancing Miss Brontë

by Juliet Gael

The Taste of Sorrow by Jude Morgan (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Both books are about the lives of the Bronte sisters- the ups and downs on the road to publishing their now famous works.

Romancing Miss Bronte is technically a novel, but is based primarily in fact in its re-imagining of the domestic lives of the Bronte sisters, with an emphasis on Charlotte, the longest surviving of the sisters. Gael’s text meticulously details the complexities of relationships between writers, but also sisters, as they pursue publication of their poetry and novels. Having lived somber lives rife with loss, Romancing Miss Bronte is passionate yet heartrendingly honest, while offering unique insight into the intricacies of crafting literature, particularly as a woman in the 19th century. The title suggests a light, heavily romanticized version of the truth; however, Gael remains true to the stark realities of the Bronte family with a well-researched and inspired account. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Part fact, part informed fiction - I liked the idea of this book, and some parts I enjoyed very much, but I didn't love the authors voice. If you love the Bronte novels, this is a fun book to read to get a picture of the three sisters lives and personalities. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
Getting into this book was slow going for me BUT once I did I fell in love with the characters. I cried like a baby at the end. I love historical fiction and this was very true to history and wonderfully written! ( )
  Blondie539 | Apr 7, 2016 |
I've read a number of Bronte biographies (and novels, of course), and this novel fits the facts I know very clearly in at least the first three quarters of the book (the only parts of her life that I know well). It makes this novel more enjoyable knowing that Gael probably used the same meticulous research to make the end of her life come to life too. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
I picked this book up at the library because I thought it might be fun since I just read Agnes Grey. I ended up really enjoying this book about Charlotte Bronte. I knew little bits about the Bronte sisters' lives, but I've never read any of the biographies of them. This book convincingly portrayed the dynamic in the family and later between Charlotte and her husband Arthur. I'm now dying to read all of the Bronte books again! I was especially fascinated by Emily Bronte, even though she was a relatively small part of the book. In some ways it's hard to connect her novel, Wuthering Heights to her life experience, but Gael does a good job portraying her though she's so different from her other sisters. Charlotte's writings seem much more autobiographical, at least Gael uses them that way. ( )
  japaul22 | Aug 7, 2014 |
Certainly, at some hour, through perhaps not your hour, the waiting waters will stir; in some shape, though perhaps not the shape you dreamed, which your heart loved, and for which it bled, the healing herald will descend.
Charlotte Brontë, Villette
He rode in on the back of a wagon loaded with crates of chickens and bales of hay, driven by a brutish farmer who had not uttered a word throughout the journey except to curse his horse.

During the two years that she studied in Brussels, Charlotte had a taste of life’s splendors—travel, literature, and art. Now, back home in the Yorkshire moors, duty-bound to a blind father and an alcoholic brother, an ambitious Charlotte refuses to sink into hopelessness. With her sisters, Emily and Anne, Charlotte conceives a plan to earn money and pursue a dream: The Brontës will publish. In childhood the Brontë children created fantastical imaginary worlds; now the sisters craft novels quite unlike anything written before. Transforming her loneliness and personal sorrow into a triumph of literary art, Charlotte pens her 1847 masterpiece, Jane Eyre.

Charlotte’s novel becomes an overwhelming literary success, catapulting the shy and awkward young woman into the spotlight of London’s fashionable literary scene—and into the arms of her new publisher, George Smith, an irresistibly handsome young man whose interest in his fiercely intelligent and spirited new author seems to go beyond professional duty. But just as life begins to hold new promise, unspeakable tragedy descends on the Brontë household, throwing London and George into the background and leaving Charlotte to fear that the only romance she will ever find is at the tip of her pen.

But another man waits in the Brontës’ Haworth parsonage—the quiet but determined curate Arthur Nicholls. After secretly pining for Charlotte since he first came to work for her father, Arthur suddenly reveals his heart to her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345520041, Hardcover)

In this astonishing novel, a brilliant mélange of fact and fiction, Juliet Gael skillfully and stylishly captures the passions, hopes, dreams, and sorrows of literature’s most famous sisters—and imagines how love dramatically and most unexpectedly found Charlotte Brontë.

Romancing Miss Brontë is a fascinating portrayal of an extraordinary woman whose life and work articulated our deepest human longing: to love and be loved in return.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:44 -0400)

Remaining lonely in spite of her literary celebrity, Charlotte Bront?e endures unfulfilling trips to London while spending time with her aging father and his brash curate, Arthur Bell Nichols, who reveals his long-time secret love for her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Juliet Gael's book Romancing Miss Bronte was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,420,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible