A Perfect Proposal by Katie Fforde

A Perfect Proposal (edition 2011)

by Katie Fforde

1901162,147 (3.49)8
Title:A Perfect Proposal
Authors:Katie Fforde
Info:Arrow (2011), Paperback, 416 pages

A Perfect Proposal by Katie Fforde

While A Perfect Proposal doesn't really break any new ground as far as rich boy/poor girl chick lit themes go, it is still a cute & fun read. The author created believable characters, most of whom are easy to relate to.

Because the author is English, the book is rich in details and make me want to visit England & Cornwall (I now know there is a bit of a difference) even more!

The ending felt a little rushed, I am hoping the author decides to revisit these characters in future works.

twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
Sophie is a young, caring woman in a family of academics. She is quite practical, and often finds herself taking on jobs that nobody else wants to do. She's persuaded to look after her great uncle Eric for a couple of weeks, which turns out to be far more enjoyable than she expects... and shortly afterwards flies to the USA where she meets the delightful Matilda, an elderly lady with a suspiciously aloof grandson called Luke.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, which I borrowed from a friend. The writing is nicely paced, the main characters eminently believable and likeable. While Sophie's two best friends are rather flat, and her family fairly dull, I did like Uncle Eric, Matilda, and a new friend she makes in Cornwall called Moira. Rather than reading for ten or fifteen minutes at bedtime, I found myself drawn in and enjoying it os much that I kept on reading well past the time when I wanted to be asleep.

Definitely recommended to anyone who likes light women's fiction. Four and a half stars, really. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Fun light summer read. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Pretty standard chick-lit, heavy on the English vs American viewpoints and language. I realized what I liked about previous books by this author was the voice actor who did the audio version. As this is hard copy, I have to rely on the voices in my head -- no wait. That didn't come out right. Make that, the voices in my own imagination, and their accents aren't nearly as lovely. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 16, 2013 |
Sophie is the organized, practical one in her snobbishly academic family, and has spent her life sorting them out with little recompense or respect. She jumps at a chance to leave England for New York and a nanny job -- but when she gets there, the job has disappeared. A chance encounter gets her an invitation to spend Thanksgiving in Connecticut with her wealthy older friend - and a budding relationship with the grandson. The course of true love never runs completely smoothly in fforde's books, so there will be many misunderstandings and adventures along the way. Quite an enjoyable way to spend a few hours -- fforde has a keen eye for human foibles and a talent for creating lovable protagonists. Recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | May 14, 2013 |
To my family, all generations, past and present, who all helped with this book.

And to the Romantic Novelists' Association, for being Fabulous at 50 - thank you!
So, remind me, who's this "Evil Uncle Eric" then?

Sophie Apperly has been supporting herself since she left school, but as far as her academic family are concerned she's never had a 'proper' job. And because she's currently in between work she's despatched to look after Uncle Eric while his housekeeper is away. Here, whilst tidying his papers, she discovers a document relating to family business in America. Driven mad by her family and wanting to prove herself to them and bring in some much-needed income for them all, when her best friend Milly invites her over to New York she jumps at the chance - what's more she's lined up some nannying work for her to pay her way. However, she's hardly been in the country five minutes before disaster strikes. She suddenly finds herself with no work, nowhere to stay and very little money. Luckily Milly has a corner in her tiny apartment she can camp out in. A jaunt to an art gallery opening throws her into the path of Matilda - a grand old lady who is delighted to find someone who comes from the same part of the world as she grew up in. She is very taken with Sophie and invites her to her house in Connecticut for Thanksgiving. But Matilda's grandson Luke is very suspicious of Sophie - what exactly does this English girl want, is she after her grandmother's money? - and he's determined to nip this growing friendship in the bud.

Sophie Apperly's family has never taken her seriously. Fiercely academic, they see her more practical skills as frivolous whilst constantly taking advantage of her. So when her best friend Milly invites her over to New York, she jumps at the chance. It'll do her ungrateful family good to do without her for a while.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible