Blueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke

Blueberry Muffin Murder (2002)

by Joanne Fluke

Series: Hannah Swensen Mystery (3)

Another fun installment in this cozy mystery series. We get to see things slowly heating up on the romance front for Hannah (can anyone say “love triangle”) , but the story is still focused on the murder mystery and quaint small town living that drew me into the series in the first place. The mystery is a decent one in that I didn’t figure out who the suspect was right away. With a town full of visitors for the local Winter Carnival and a celebrity chef with a reputation for making more enemies than friends, the potential list of suspects (and motives) is high, leading me to make multiple guesses as to the identity of the murderer as clues are revealed. Hannah’s stylish real estate agent sister Andrea is an eager accomplice as Hannah snoops around for clues and yes, their on-going sibling banter adds to the charm this story holds for me. As for Hannah’s poised and polished mother Delores, I love that woman. When she is not trying to angle for a husband for Hannah, she is aghast at Hannah’s love for casual wear, wild hair and her habit of continuing to be the one to discover dead bodies in Lake Eden. Delores doesn’t pull any punches when she makes her opinion known through comments like this one: “Hannah! You've simply got to stop finding bodies. I swear you attract them like a magnet. If you're not careful, everyone's going to get the wrong impression of you." Just the kind of comment I would expect to come out of Delores' mouth, and brings a smile to my face.

Overall, another delightful, mystery romp filled with tantalizing goodie recipes. ( )
  lkernagh | Jun 1, 2019 |
A friend has loaned me her collection of the Hannah Swensen mysteries and I am enjoying reading them in sequence. Something I don't usually do.

In this book Hanna is faced with her shop, The Cookie Jar, being the scene of the murder of America's "Cooking Sweetheart," a misnomer for Connie Mac. Not only is Hanna supposed to keep from finding the murderer, she also has to find somewhere else to bake the huge orders of cookies that have been ordered for the Winter Carnival! A quantity that cannot be done in the average kitchen.

While investigating the murder, Hanna also finds that the "Cooking Sweetheart" is a domineering, demanding demon of a person to work with, but she just puts on the sweet act for her public. Her staff are in fear of losing their jobs and are just plain miserable.

Hannah also is finding that she has two interested men in her life, which can be good or not. If only her mother would stop pushing her to settle down and marry!

This cozy series is a fun read, and the recipes are a nice addition. I may have to try my hand at one and see how it turns out. Cookies can always be a good thing to go along with a good read! ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 30, 2018 |
Blueberry muffin murder by Joanne Fluke
Hannah is in charge of the sweets for the winter carnival. Connie is in charge of the cake-she runs a cable TV cooking show.
She bad tempered and wants everyone to do her work and get the credit. She's found dead at the Cookie Jar and Hannah has to investigate with help of her family and friends.
Others are at the top of the list: the disgruntled employees of Connie's.
  jbarr5 | Jun 23, 2016 |
I like this series, it is undemanding fluff and sometimes that is just what you need. I really like the recipes. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
It's been a while since I'd read a Hannah Swensen mystery. They're fun ... and have great cookie recipes! ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 3, 2016 |

Joanne Flukeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Bakery owner Hannah Swensen is back--and the cookies are crumbling--as acclaimed author Joanne Fluke serves readers another helping of murder, mayhem, and mouthwatering mystery... Blueberry Muffin Murder.

Preparations are underway for Lake Eden, Minnesota's annual Winter Carnival--and Hannah Swensen is set to bake up a storm at her popular shop, The Cookie Jar. Too bad the honor of creating the official Winter Carnival cake went to famous lifestyle maven Connie Mac--a half-baked idea, in Hannah's opinion. She suspects Connie Mac is a lot like the confections she whips up on her cable TV cooking show--sweet, light, and scrumptious-looking, but likely to leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

Hannah's suspicions are confirmed when Connie Mac's limo rolls into town. Turns out America's "Cooking Sweetheart" is bossy, bad-tempered, and downright domineering. Things finally boil over when Hannah arrives at The Cookie Jar to find the Winter Carnival cake burnt to a crisp--and Connie Mac lying dead in her pantry, struck down while eating one of Hannah's famous blueberry muffins.

Next thing Hannah knows, the police have declared The Cookie Jar's kitchen crime scene off-limits. She's a baker without an oven--and the Carnival is right around the corner. Hannah's only alternative is to cook up a plan to save her business--by finding the killer herself....

As Lake Eden prepares for its annual Winter Carnival, America's "Cooking Sweetheart," Connie Mac, is named creator of the official carnival cake. But when Hannah opens her bakery, The Cookie Jar, and finds the domineering Connie dead in her pantry, she must save her shop by finding the killer herself.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,660,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible