The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

The Kitchen House (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Kathleen Grissom

1,8221293,839 (4)132
Title:The Kitchen House
Authors:Kathleen Grissom
Info:New York : Touchstone Books, 2010.
Tags:historical fiction, plantation life, 19th century Virginia

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (2010)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Blogletter)
    Blogletter: Zowel Het Keukenhuis door Kathleen Grissom als Een keukenmeidenroman door Kathryn Stocket gaan over slavernij in Amerika.
    Someone Knows My Name: A Novel by Lawrence Hill (Anonymous user, vancouverdeb)
    Anonymous user: Both The Kitchen House and the Book of Negroes are about Black Slavery in the South. They are different, but provide an eye opening look at Black Slavery.
    Oonagh by Mary Tilberg (Iudita)
    Iudita: Historical fiction about indentured servants.
    Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball (dara85)
    Cane River by Lalita Tademy (dara85)
    Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: this is also a tale of the south and slavery but this one is not as depressing as The Kitchen House but has a similar feel.
    Year the Colored Sisters Came to Town by Jacqueline Guidry (varwenea)
    The Ways of White Folks: Stories by Langston Hughes (varwenea)
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker (varwenea)
    The Long Song by Andrea Levy (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Similar themes: black slaves, a young woman who works within the "White Master's" Plantation house.Slavery,Freedom from slavery; both wonderfully written. Divided loyalities, a fiesty female slave.
    Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (varwenea)

I struggled between three stars and four, but looking at other four star books, this one was not quite there. I loved the story. It was well told and kept me turning the pages. As an historical novel, it was excellent, but it did not have the beauty that would make me want to own the book. I would still recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. This one is set in the late 1700's and early 1800's. It takes place on a plantation in the Southern United States and exposes much of the ugliness of plantation life. But it also reveals the unique meaning of "family" to individuals who care deeply about each other no matter what the circumstances of their birth. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This was an excellent first book and I appreciated the research and work the author put into it. Even though I haven't been to Virginia, I could imagine the scenes and the characters that were larger than life. ( )
  eliorajoy | Aug 13, 2015 |
Interesting story of slavery as viewed through an Irish girl's eyes. She is raised in the slave quarters, but eventually is married to the son of the plantation owner. My interest was maintained throughout the entire tale, despite not liking what was happening to the main character. ( )
  Pmaurer | May 15, 2015 |
The audio for this was just plain wonderful! Two readers absolutely captured the characters and the flow of the book is incredible---portraying lots of high drama of life in this time period. A brief author's description at the end explained how this book came to be and about the tremendous amount of research involved---I had wondered because it seemed so completely believable as I listened. It was a very compelling and worthwhile listening experience. ( )
  nyiper | May 3, 2015 |
Lavinia would have been a more reliable narrator if she didn't keep forgetting things and the use of laudanum seemed like a cover up for a plot that had gone missing. ( )
  JenMDB | Mar 8, 2015 |
Though there are several compelling insights in The Kitchen House, it’s nevertheless a formulaic story. There are graphic shocks, but no surprises.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Sara Forsyth (Mar 1, 2010)
For my beloved parents, Ted and Catherine Doepker, and for my dear mentor, Eleanor Drewry Dolan
There was a strong smell of smoke, and new fear fueled me.

After seven-year-old Lavinia is orphaned on the journey from Ireland to the United States, she begins work in the kitchen house of a tobacco plantation and bonds with the slaves who become her adopted family, but when Lavinia is accepted into the big house, her loyalties are challenged.

"In 1790, Lavinia, a seven-year-old Irish orphan with no memory of her past, arrives on a tobacco plantation where she is put to work as an indentured servant with the kitchen house slaves. Though she becomes deeply bonded to her new family, Lavinia is also slowly accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. As time passes she finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds and when loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare and lives are at risk. "--Publisher's description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,783,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible