Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Jungle Book (1894)

by Rudyard Kipling, Walt Disney company

Series: Jungle Books (1)

English (69)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (75)
Not at all what I expected when I sat down to read it. I thought Disney took the story and only tweaked it instead of dropping it on its head. This is actually a series of short stories, most of them mediocre at best. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
The Jungle Books Rudyard Kipling
3 Stars

I am not a great lover of short stories but this had been on my shelf awhile, to be honest I expected it to be novel made up of stories about Mowglis adventures in the jungle but it was actually a collection of short stories about animals and life in the wild some of which happened to feature Mowgli and the animals typically associated with him.

There were 2 stories set in the antartic/ artic featuring a while seal and a group of Inuit and their huskies, not really jungle stories.

There were a couple of other stories featuring different animals and humans and set in India.

What the stories have in common is that they are often brutal and death is a common feature in this way they are true to the life of the jungle.

Not my sort of thing but worth reading for the technical descriptions of the wild. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
This children’s book is a series of stories which are quite short and at times amusing, even for an adult. In an era, a long time ago, as a boy cub (a fledgling of the boy scout movement), I was read the Jungle book at pack meetings but I don't remember very much of it. What I did remember was that Akela was what we called the pack leader and indeed chanted AAAAAAAAA KAAAAAAA LAAAAAAAAA. That person, in the case of my 1960s Stoneywood pack, was a very bubbly charismatic person of the female persuasion, who went on to receive an MBE for services to scouting. While reading the book, the only other things that I recognised, from my cub days, were Riki Tiki Tavi the mongoose and Shere Khan the Tiger.
  NeilT | Jan 4, 2016 |
Picked up as premium on Folio Society order instead of 'Autumn' offering. Later saw a preview for new CGI Jungle Book Disney movie, so a refresher read seemed timely.

I enjoyed all the stories, most especially 'Toomai of the Elephants' that I had never before encountered. ( )
  kcshankd | Dec 31, 2015 |
“Welcome to the jungle
We've got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names”

The opening poem of The Jungle Book: “Now Rann the Kite brings home the night” etc. is much more elegant than Axl Rose’s effort, but I feel it would be much nicer for you to read it in the context of the book.

Now if you are looking for a review from someone with an in-depth knowledge of Rudyard Kipling’s works you had better look elsewhere. My Kipling-fu is so feeble I did not even know The Jungle Book was an anthology, not a novel about a badass little boy who blazed a trail for Tarzan. It didn’t even occur to me to read this book until I saw the trailer for the new 2015 movie a few days ago.

I’m just going to run through the list of the stories then:

1. Mowgli's Brothers
This surprised me, it’s basically the entire story of Mowgli as I know it from the movies (animated and live action). I wonder if Shere Khan is the inspiration for Chaka Khan? (cue eye rolls). If you only read one story from this book (what a silly notion) read this one.

2. Hunting-Song of the Seeonee Pack
Nice poem, all the poems in this book are nice.

3. Kaa's Hunting
This goes back up the timeline from the conclusion of “Mowgli's Brothers”, it features Mowgli being kidnaped by monkeys. At no point does Mowgli say “Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!”, Kipling was not into pop culture references (I am). Any way, Mowgli is chiefly aided by Kaa the python and his very particular set of skills.
“Trust in me”.
"but I didn't expect a Spanish Inquisition!"

4. Road-Song of the Bandar-Log
Nice poem

5. “Tiger! Tiger!”
Mowgli has a rematch with Shere Khan and finds human society not to his liking, the beds especially (I don’t blame him).

6. Mowgli's Song
Great song, especially the guitar solo.

7. The White Seal
Kotick the white seal is like the Columbus among seals. Very good story. Especially when Kotick decides he has had enough of the ignorant seals and their jibes then proceeds to hand their asses to them. They did not know he has been working out with some marathon swimming.

8. Lukannon
“A sort of very sad seal National Anthem”. Thank you Literaturepage.com

9. “Rikki-Tikki-Tavi”
Laugh at his silly name at your own peril Rikki-tikki-tavi is one badass mofo of a mongoose. I guess he could be the prototype for Ninja Turtles, K9*, Hong Kong Phooey and other superhero animals.

10. Darzee's Chant
Darzee is a tailorbird from Rikki-tikki-tavi’s story with a penchant of breaking into songs at the most inappropriate moment. After Rikki-tikki-tavi is allowed to knock himself out with full blown hero worship through this song.

11. Toomai of the Elephants
An Indian boy takes a clandestine ride on an elephant’s back and witnesses a huge herd of elephants performing “We Will Rock You”.
“You got blood on yo' face
You big disgrace
Wavin' your trunk all over the place”

12. Shiv and the Grasshopper
“The song that Toomai's mother sang to the baby”

13. Her Majesty's Servants
Ah! Oh dear! For me this story is like throwing an eel at a marble wall, it just won’t stick. I listened** to it twice and I still can’t remember what it’s about. Somethihg to do with a bunch of animals nattering about something completely devoid of interest.

14. Parade Song of the Camp Animals
Related to the previous story. No thanks.

That’s it then, I enjoyed most of the stories, poems and song, except number 13 and 14 as mentioned above.

Definitely recommended, especially the first story, which is a bear necessity.

_____________________________________
* Hey Cecily, I managed to sneak one in!

** Librivox Audiobook, very nicely read/performed by Phil Chenevert. Thank you! ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Now Rann the Kite brings home the night
    That Mang the Bat sets free –
The herds are shut in byre and hut
    For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
    Talon and tush and claw.
Oh, hear the call! – Good hunting all
    That keep the Jungle Law!
This is the main work for The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812504690, Mass Market Paperback)

Tor Classics are affordably-priced editions designed to attract the young reader. Original dynamic cover art enthusiastically represents the excitement of each story. Appropriate "reader friendly" type sizes have been chosen for each title—offering clear, accurate, and readable text. All editions are complete and unabridged, and feature Introductions and Afterwords.

This edition of The Jungle Book includes a Biographical Note, Foreward, Preface, and Afterword by Jane Yolen.

Run with them. Or fear them--

Bagheera the Panther: A silken shadow of boldness and cunning.

Kaa the Python: A thirty foot battering ram driven by a cool, hungry mind.

Baloo the Bear: who keeps the lore and the Law, and teaches the Secret Words.

Rikki the Mongoose: The young protector who sings as he slays.

Akela and Raksha the Wolves: Demon warriors of the Free People.

Shere Khan the Tiger: The dreaded enemy of all.

And Mowgli the Man-cub: The orphan baby raised by the wolves, taught by Baloo, trained by Bagheera and Kaa. The sorcerer who knows the ways of the jungle and speaks the language of the wild...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:47 -0400)

Presents the adventures of Mowgli, a boy reared by a pack of wolves, and the wild animals of the jungle. Also includes other short stories set in India.

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183659, 0141325291, 0141333421

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible