Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Jungle Book (1894)

by Rudyard Kipling, Walt Disney company

Series: Jungle Books (1)

English (71)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (77)
I enjoyed this book. Jungle Book was my favorite movie as a child so I was excited to read the book. I was surprised at the differences between the two. It looks like the new movie will be more based off of the book. I do not think most children would be very interested in the book because it was hard to get into. Older kids would probably enjoy it if they stuck with it. ( )
  SamanthaPurvis3 | Mar 12, 2016 |
I made the mistake to take this book and expect it to be a book version of the Disney classic. My bad. In reality the Jungle Book is a collection of short stories in which some of them we have our well known character Mowgli. Not knowing that might have add some negative influence to this title, but the truth is I didn't find anything fantastic about. The narrative is so simple like it was supposed to be only for children and not engaging at all for adults, for a book full of short stories it took me forever to finish it. To be fair though there some stories that have their charms like "The White Seal" and "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" but all and all I wouldn't recommend to anyone, unless this person has sleeping problems 'cause this book is a sure thing for that. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
Not at all what I expected when I sat down to read it. I thought Disney took the story and only tweaked it instead of dropping it on its head. This is actually a series of short stories, most of them mediocre at best. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
The Jungle Books Rudyard Kipling
3 Stars

I am not a great lover of short stories but this had been on my shelf awhile, to be honest I expected it to be novel made up of stories about Mowglis adventures in the jungle but it was actually a collection of short stories about animals and life in the wild some of which happened to feature Mowgli and the animals typically associated with him.

There were 2 stories set in the antartic/ artic featuring a while seal and a group of Inuit and their huskies, not really jungle stories.

There were a couple of other stories featuring different animals and humans and set in India.

What the stories have in common is that they are often brutal and death is a common feature in this way they are true to the life of the jungle.

Not my sort of thing but worth reading for the technical descriptions of the wild. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
This children’s book is a series of stories which are quite short and at times amusing, even for an adult. In an era, a long time ago, as a boy cub (a fledgling of the boy scout movement), I was read the Jungle book at pack meetings but I don't remember very much of it. What I did remember was that Akela was what we called the pack leader and indeed chanted AAAAAAAAA KAAAAAAA LAAAAAAAAA. That person, in the case of my 1960s Stoneywood pack, was a very bubbly charismatic person of the female persuasion, who went on to receive an MBE for services to scouting. While reading the book, the only other things that I recognised, from my cub days, were Riki Tiki Tavi the mongoose and Shere Khan the Tiger.
  NeilT | Jan 4, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Now Rann the Kite brings home the night
    That Mang the Bat sets free –
The herds are shut in byre and hut
    For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
    Talon and tush and claw.
Oh, hear the call! – Good hunting all
    That keep the Jungle Law!
This is the main work for The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

This title is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online.

GUTENBERG.org is the origin for most of the human and well-edited FREE kindle editions online in various languages. Scam sites will ask for money for the hard work and titles which Gutenberg volunteers provide free. ARCHIVE.org provides a huge selection of FREE e-pub & PDF public domain titles in various languages also. (easily readable with the Free CALIBRE-ebook.com app]. Project Gutenberg is a great organization. They will never ask you for money before allowing you to download their books (though voluntary donations are welcome).

Only SCAM SITES & CON ARTISTS will ask for money for the hard work and e-book titles which the Gutenberg volunteers provide free. Their latest bs? "You're paying for the ability to wi-fi your download." Really? So these con artists who steal Gutenberg's hard work then re-post what should be FREE e-books for sale .... rationalize it because they provide wi-fi downloads? Now that is a load of nonsense. Do you think these scammers are donating all the money back to the non-profit Gutenberg? I don't think so. Please don't patronize e-thieves or con artists. And don't let them gull you. How hard is it to plug your e-reader into your computer and do a manual download? Pretty damn easy. If you don't know how to do this, ask one of your grandkids to show you how.

There are lots of free pre-1923 public domain kindle books on Amazon.com. [Type in 'free' and 'public domain' in the search bar.] Some current authors make their copyrighted e-books available free on Amazon and other sites also. [I would assume as a form of advertising and/or as a loss leader for a book series. Make sure to review their books as a thank you.]

ManyBooks.net offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. If the book you downloaded from them doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.

FeedBooks.com/publicdomain offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. It also offers ebooks for sale. If the book you downloaded from Gutenberg doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812504690, Mass Market Paperback)

Tor Classics are affordably-priced editions designed to attract the young reader. Original dynamic cover art enthusiastically represents the excitement of each story. Appropriate "reader friendly" type sizes have been chosen for each title—offering clear, accurate, and readable text. All editions are complete and unabridged, and feature Introductions and Afterwords.

This edition of The Jungle Book includes a Biographical Note, Foreward, Preface, and Afterword by Jane Yolen.

Run with them. Or fear them--

Bagheera the Panther: A silken shadow of boldness and cunning.

Kaa the Python: A thirty foot battering ram driven by a cool, hungry mind.

Baloo the Bear: who keeps the lore and the Law, and teaches the Secret Words.

Rikki the Mongoose: The young protector who sings as he slays.

Akela and Raksha the Wolves: Demon warriors of the Free People.

Shere Khan the Tiger: The dreaded enemy of all.

And Mowgli the Man-cub: The orphan baby raised by the wolves, taught by Baloo, trained by Bagheera and Kaa. The sorcerer who knows the ways of the jungle and speaks the language of the wild...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:47 -0400)

Presents the adventures of Mowgli, a boy reared by a pack of wolves, and the wild animals of the jungle. Also includes other short stories set in India.

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183659, 0141325291, 0141333421

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible