The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

The Jungle Book (1894)

by Rudyard Kipling

Series: Jungle Books (1)

4,450None1,100 (3.77)140
19th century (73) adventure (95) animals (146) British (26) children (119) children's (140) children's books (26) children's fiction (47) children's literature (93) classic (221) classics (181) ebook (57) English (30) English literature (47) fantasy (71) fiction (546) Folio Society (40) India (179) jungle (62) juvenile (34) Kindle (59) Kipling (50) literature (106) novel (54) own (26) read (46) short stories (79) to-read (56) unread (31) young adult (28)

English (57)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
This is not Disney's version. Still it's a great classical book. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
This is not Disney's version. Still it's a great classical book. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
After re-reading "Jungle Book" I still did not enjoy it. It's a book for children but as a child I did not enjoy it that much so I decided to put it off for x number of years. I guess a boy who grew up with wolves, bears and panthers just does not sit well with me but I did love the Disney movie. Maybe I'm just not a jungle girl and the Rules of the Jungle does not apply to me ;p. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 10, 2014 |
Public domain book. It's been a long time since I saw the movie, and I've never read the novel. There's not actually a lot of "The Jungle Book" in this. Two, maybe three stories. And Shere Kahn is killed in the beginning. The rest are some stories about elephants and seals that involve a lot of "not things happening".

It's not dissimilar from "Just So Stories". The stories just don't hold up well. They were meant for another time. Except "Rikki Tiki Tavi", which could take place in space with aliens if you switched some characters and settings around. I started skipping towards the end, because I just didn't feel like the stories mattered. If you want a Jungle Book fix, see the movie. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 24, 2014 |

Detmold, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frenzeny, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ingpen, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kipling, John LockwoodIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now Rann the Kite brings home the night That Mang the Bat sets free--The herds are shut in byre and hut For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the main work for The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812504690, Mass Market Paperback)

Tor Classics are affordably-priced editions designed to attract the young reader. Original dynamic cover art enthusiastically represents the excitement of each story. Appropriate "reader friendly" type sizes have been chosen for each title—offering clear, accurate, and readable text. All editions are complete and unabridged, and feature Introductions and Afterwords.

This edition of The Jungle Book includes a Biographical Note, Foreward, Preface, and Afterword by Jane Yolen.

Run with them. Or fear them--

Bagheera the Panther: A silken shadow of boldness and cunning.

Kaa the Python: A thirty foot battering ram driven by a cool, hungry mind.

Baloo the Bear: who keeps the lore and the Law, and teaches the Secret Words.

Rikki the Mongoose: The young protector who sings as he slays.

Akela and Raksha the Wolves: Demon warriors of the Free People.

Shere Khan the Tiger: The dreaded enemy of all.

And Mowgli the Man-cub: The orphan baby raised by the wolves, taught by Baloo, trained by Bagheera and Kaa. The sorcerer who knows the ways of the jungle and speaks the language of the wild...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:24 -0400)

Presents the adventures of Mowgli, a boy reared by a pack of wolves, and the wild animals of the jungle. Also includes other short stories set in India.

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183659, 0141325291

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible