The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

The Jungle Book (1894)

by Rudyard Kipling, Walt Disney company

Series: Jungle Books (1)

English (62)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (68)
I have always enjoyed the Wal-Mart Classics while I wish these would come back out but that is a wish for something else. My sister was able to send me these copies so I have been trying to read them - reading the other short stories then moving onto the Mowgli stories all at the same time.

Before I actually start my review I would like to make mention of something that may be of interest to some others who may want to shake things up for these stories. While I was trying to figure out how to pronounce one of the names from another included story I came upon a website that claims they had the pronunciation guide that the author had made for the stories. And so as a result I have been trying to read this time around with Rudyard's name pronunciations and not Disney's - interesting although I am not quite sure whether I like it or not.

The problem with this is its not just one story but several - the stories of Mowgli (never in any chronological order), White Seal, Rikki Tikki Tavi, Toomai of the Elephants and The Servants of the Queen. Unlike the Wal-Mart Jungle Book 2 I love the fact that Mowgli's story is in the front while the other stories are in the back with each other.

For Mowgli's story it is simple, not in chronological order and the cast isn't very many, especially for a large jungle. The child is definitely a Man-Cub for he is scared of nothing, is defiant and yet given enough encouragement to know where he stands in a world that is not so sure of his place in it.

White Seal is probably my next one of two favorites in the book even though it is strictly not jungle. Kotick is born a very rare white seal on the beaches who finds within his next year that his people just ignore the fact they were born to be butchered. Being one of the only dreamers in the series he sets off to see if he can safety and a place where no man can harm his people. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful stories by Kipling.

Rikki Tikki Tavi is maybe one of the best and most often remembered stories within the Jungle Books right behind the Mowgli stories and my second out of two other favorite stories for me. A young mongoose almost loses his life but repays his rescuers by taking up with them. In their Indian garden he finds that not all is peaceful and that Death is quite close thus leading him to the battle against the vengeful snakes.

Toomai of the Elephants doesn't hold much for a storyline besides introducing us to Little Toomai how isn't content with the life of his father but with another life of chasing wild elephants. He is implied at by one of his idols and that idol's workers of a rare event known as the Dance of the Elephant if he to be one of them. With the help of an elephant that has been in the family for generation the boy gets to participate in the very rare and little known Dance thus becoming an instant hero to the tried trackers who have never seen such a sight.

And finally Servants of the Queen brings in a cast of more animal characters with the exception of the narrator as the animals each compare and describe the way they are used for fighting. When the youngest of the screw battery mules ask why he is told to be quiet since it is just the way that orders fall.

These beautiful stories are given with each a song that is suppose to relate to the story that you have read and it can be fun to try to sing some of them if you are for the challenge. Definitely a good collection of stories to lose yourself with. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |
I think this book is a bit gruesome for children, but... oh well, that's just me. Maybe it's all a matter of point of view, the original fairy tales are not half as glamorous as it is shown by the Disney universe.

I usually dislike books with talking animals, and this one was no exception. I found that this book was rather bland and it failed to draw my attention to any of its tales. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi's was, by far, the most interesting one. As for the other ones, well, they're not really impressive. Indeed, perhaps I'm not the target audience of this book, thus my lack of interest for most of its aspects. ( )
  aryadeschain | Jul 24, 2015 |
One of my favorites. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
Even better now than when I was a child

This is the first time I have read this book since I was a little girl. The stories are well written, for adult and child alike. It is a great thing to get to know these classical characters. ( )
  Mozzie | Jan 15, 2015 |
Enjoyed the main story of The Jungle Book, didn't enjoy the other stories in the book quite as much. Other than The Jungle Book I liked the story of Little Toomai.

Wonder if J.K. Rowling was inspired by Rudyard Kipling when she created Nagini as there are two snakes in a story named Nag and Nagaina.

Made me want to read The Just So stories again. I might look out for it on the Kindle.

Think it tied in well with my EA300 course though I enjoyed it more for not having to study it!

Would love to get a pretty illustrated version to read again in the future. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 7, 2014 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Now Rann the Kite brings home the night
    That Mang the Bat sets free –
The herds are shut in byre and hut
    For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
    Talon and tush and claw.
Oh, hear the call! – Good hunting all
    That keep the Jungle Law!
This is the main work for The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812504690, Mass Market Paperback)

Tor Classics are affordably-priced editions designed to attract the young reader. Original dynamic cover art enthusiastically represents the excitement of each story. Appropriate "reader friendly" type sizes have been chosen for each title—offering clear, accurate, and readable text. All editions are complete and unabridged, and feature Introductions and Afterwords.

This edition of The Jungle Book includes a Biographical Note, Foreward, Preface, and Afterword by Jane Yolen.

Run with them. Or fear them--

Bagheera the Panther: A silken shadow of boldness and cunning.

Kaa the Python: A thirty foot battering ram driven by a cool, hungry mind.

Baloo the Bear: who keeps the lore and the Law, and teaches the Secret Words.

Rikki the Mongoose: The young protector who sings as he slays.

Akela and Raksha the Wolves: Demon warriors of the Free People.

Shere Khan the Tiger: The dreaded enemy of all.

And Mowgli the Man-cub: The orphan baby raised by the wolves, taught by Baloo, trained by Bagheera and Kaa. The sorcerer who knows the ways of the jungle and speaks the language of the wild...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:47 -0400)

Presents the adventures of Mowgli, a boy reared by a pack of wolves, and the wild animals of the jungle. Also includes other short stories set in India.

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183659, 0141325291, 0141333421

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,994,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible