The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

The Jungle Book (original 1894; edition 2015)

by Rudyard Kipling (Author)

Series: Jungle Books (1)

Presents the adventures of Mowgli, a young boy raised by the animals in an Indian jungle, as well as other animal stories and songs.
Member:mattandbranson
Title:The Jungle Book
Authors:Rudyard Kipling (Author)
Info:BOOKS (2015), 200 pages

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (1894)

English (106)  Spanish (8)  Catalan (5)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (122)
I come back to this a lot, a favorite for the writing, and a reminder that imperialism and racism are sweet poison of the time - that it's easy to fall into the beautiful words, and ignore the utter callous horror of that neutral shunning voice. The claim that some people aren't people, that some are dirty, that some are better.

This is probably the best example - especially in The White Seal - of Kipling just being godsawful toxic while loving their subject matter and embracing their words. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
White seal
Rikki tikki tavi
Jungle book
Servants of the queen
Toomai of the elephants
Quiquern
The undertakers
The miracle of purun bhagat ( )
  Ajmi | Jan 25, 2021 |
Digital audiobook performed by Ralph Cosham
3.5***

Of course I was familiar with Mowgli, Shere Khan, and Baloo, but I had never read the stories that make up this classic of children’s literature.

This edition had Mowgli’s tale, but also included three bonus stories: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi (the mongoose who battles the cobras), Toomai (who watches the elephants dance), and Kotick (the white seal who leads his herd to a safe haven). They are marvelous adventure stories with a few life lessons included. The exotic nature of the setting appeals to the imagination as well.

I remember a children’s book I had as a child that had a one of the Jungle Book stories in it. I loved when my Daddy would read it because he of the voices he used for the different animals. Well, sorry, Daddy, but Ralph Cosham does an even better job when performing the audio. His underlying sibilant hiss for the cobras was just chilling. And his deeply sinister voice for Shere Khan would make anyone afraid. It was an absolute delight to listen to him read this classic. ( )
  BookConcierge | Oct 28, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This was not very good. Maybe the first book I ever read that the movie was way better (and not just for the singing).

This is a collection of short stories about anamorphic animals in the Inidan Jungle of the 19th century. I added it to my queue when I wanted more English stories from India in hopes of better communiating with my Indian colleagues.

They aren't well written, they have no redeeming or overarching story and even though they are very short, they feel very long and boring.

This audio book collection was particularly poor. there Were three distinct different narrators, I believe it was first recorded for Tape in the 80s and then re-released on CD in the 90s (and maybe digital in the 21st) and each time they added some artifacts and its just not good.

Not worth stabbing yourself in the eye, but not worth reading. ( )
  fulner | Jul 28, 2020 |

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

This edition, with its illustrations, is dedicated to the illustrator's granddaughter.
For Abigail
Now Rann the Kite brings home the night
    That Mang the Bat sets free –
The herds are shut in byre and hut
    For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
    Talon and tush and claw.
Oh, hear the call! – Good hunting all
    That keep the Jungle Law!
This is the main work for The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141325291, 0141333421

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101204, 1400120462

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,050,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible