Abduction! by Peg Kehret

Abduction!

by Peg Kehret

I haven't had time to read much lately--busy, busy, busy, you know. I have a to-read pile that I definitely need a ladder to begin to tackle, and this was nowhere on my list. It was a "free book" thanks to the books my kids ordered through me from Scholastic. It seems like the okay book that will be borrowed and lost, but at least it was free: the kind of book I don't have to lock up and sign out with deadlines. I never read the back of books, and I was curious if this was about a child abduction or aliens! I opened up to the first page.....and 3 hours later, I'm done with the book.

I had no time for this at all, and it wasn't great literature, that's for sure. Predictable plot, easy reading, yet sucked in my 7th grade self immediately. This is for the girls who love "A Child Called It", books about girls who run away and become prostitutes before learning that their mother was right all along, and any other book about scary, better-her-than-me books that aren't realistic enough to give us nightmares, but plausible enough to give awareness. Just the other day, for example, I read in the paper a story about a girl who supposedly ran away from home, was offered a place to stay by a guy who then beat her and forced her into prostitution. I was thinking, "Didn't she know that would happen? Didn't she read "Can Steffie Come Out to Play?" That cheesy book taught me at a young age, before I could watch R-rated movies, that if I run away, I'll be forced into prostitution, but it didn't go into enough detail to disturb me indefinitely. Those books are perfect for middle school girls who want to experience and learn from danger vicariously.

This book is all of that--a boy gets abducted and you are amazed at how truly easy it was to accomplish...you can see it really happen...you can get into the mind of the abductor and think, "Totally, that's how it must be! I'll be sure to look out for that next time." Of course, it's totally simple and tame--no child rape, a relatively quick and unrealistic rescue,but gives you enough suspense, horror, and possible reality to at least make you think.

I absolutely recommend this to the reluctant or struggling middle school reader, mostly girls but not exclusively. I'd ask the student, when he or she is finished reading, in what ways did the average citizen fail the children? What is this book showing about civic responsibility? The best part was the message to adults: many people didn't want to get involved when the abducted children tried desperately to get help out in public. Even though this is cheesy juvenile fiction, it was still a good reminder to keep our eyes open and RESPOND and interact with kids who are not ours and to take them seriously.

I don't recommend this to adults, unless you're an ELA teacher of grades 5-8 and want to pre-read for the kids, but this is a terrific title to get more kids reading. Kehret, keep publishing--you have found your niche. Well done! ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
A story about a father abducting his child. What I found to be the most interesting part is how it take on different views of various people. My teacher had us read this book in the 4th grade. As I see it, Abduction was unfortunately slightly under my reading level at the time, but it was very enjoyable to read. ( )
  Ponetic | May 8, 2015 |
Excellent story about a child being abducted by his father. The story is seen from most of the parties involved: the sister who blames herself for him being taken; the parents who are trying to find him; the father who has taken him; the child who is the victim; and a couple who happen upon the father and child as they are traveling and leave the boy's dog behind. Even seen from all these views, the story is easy to follow. ( )
  Joneta_Hockett | Oct 1, 2011 |
Bonnie's brother was abducted by a strange man. When Bonnie goes on the search for her little brother, she discovers how dangerous this search is- this is a little scary but not too bad(: Enjoy! ( )
  queenofthecourt12 | Sep 24, 2009 |
Abduction! - Bonnie's brother left his kindergarten classrooom to use the bathroom - and disappeared. A police dog follows Matt's scent across the school playground to the curb, where he apparently got into a vehicle. Already overwhelmed with fear, Bonnie discovers that her dog is gone, too. Good story - action and a little scary - but not too bad. ( )
  jepeters333 | Nov 16, 2008 |

ABDUCTION! by Peg Kehret. Bonnie's brother Matt leaves his classroom to use the restroom--and vanishes. A police dog traces his scent to the curb, where he apparently got into a vehicle. But why would Matt go anywhere with a stranger?

Matt is missing. Bonnie's brother left his classroom to use thebathroom —and disappeared. A police dog traces his scent to the curb, where he apparently got into a vehicle. But why would Matt go anywhere with a stranger? Overwhelmed with fear, Bonnie discovers that her dog is gone, too. Was Pookie used as a lure for Matt? Bonnie makes one big mistake in her attempt to find her brother. In a chilling climax on a Washington State ferry, Bonnie and Matt must outsmart their abductor or pay with their lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:56 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Bonnie has a feeling of foreboding on the very day that her six-year-old brother Matt and their dog Pookie are abducted, and she becomes involved in a major search effort as well as a frightening adventure.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible