American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder

American Vampire Vol. 1 (edition 2011)

by Scott Snyder, Stephen King, Rafael Albuquereque (Illustrator)

Member:Grisanwich2
Title:American Vampire Vol. 1
Authors:Scott Snyder
Other authors:Stephen King, Rafael Albuquereque (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2011), Paperback, 200 pages
Rating:*****

American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder (Author)

Recently added byAnthonyJMelchiorri, linum, dmarthur, karynmilk, midorin, maribou, private library, DougGoodman

What if the great American novel was a gruesome story of vampires? Can't wait to read more... ( )
  DougGoodman | May 16, 2014 |
I'll start this off by saying that I fully expected to hate this.. or at least be bored by it. Despite the fact that Scott Snyder is highly regarded in the comic industry at the moment - what with kicking all kinds of ass with the recent Batman reboot/relaunch/whatever - and perennial favorite, Uncle Stevie lending his writing chops to the series, I still expected mediocrity.

Why?

Because I'm starting to hate vampires. No, this isn't an anti-twilight rant nor does it have anything to do with disliking something because it's popular. It mostly has to do with just a never ending stream of what feels like average content. Take Justin Cronin's The Passage series. While I felt the first book was OK at best, the second book was unbearable, so much so that I put it down - I just couldn't soldier on through something I feel so negatively about.

The good news is, with lowered expectations, it only really leaves room for someone to move up. That or dive down into the sub basement of boredom.

Snyder and King craft a story bringing together two distinct periods in time involving two pretty different characters. While at their core, they're a lot a like, it's there origins that bring about conflicting emotions in the reader. One, an outlaw of the old wild west and the other, a struggling young actress in 1920s Hollywood.

Both were excellent and certainly leave a lot in the open for future volumes. I already enjoy Snyder's writing but Rafael Albuquerque's art is exceptional to say the least. His visuals sync up perfectly with the style of the story that's being told and offer up some pretty gruesome shots.

This is the kind of vampire storytelling I can get behind. You've got compelling characters with an interesting plot for them to play around in. It doesn't feel manufactured and the inclusion of vampires never really feels like a gimmick used to cash in on the genre's massive popularity.

I've got volume one and two sitting on my coffee table all set to go - I think I'll be breezing through these in pretty rapid succession. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
The first comic written by stephen king, and it is as well written as his novels. ( )
  ExpatTX | Mar 31, 2014 |
An ok book I guess... Would have been better if Steven King hadn't gone into a rant in his intro about how much he hates sparkling vampires and vampire romance and such - which I tend to agree with - but this book was just as bad so his snootiness sort of ruined it for me. But I didn't actually hate it, so it gets two stars, I guess. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
This was very enjoyable. A return to the "proper" vampires as evil murderous creatures rather than the modern romanticized sparkly versions. Twists that you wouldn't see coming. And of course a new angle. It had a kind of "Blade" (the movie, I've yet to encounter the comics he was loosely based on) feel to it. Not to say that it's the same, it's not, at all. Just the general vague idea behind it. Something old and something new. It was good, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take it. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Nov 12, 2013 |

Snyder, ScottAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Albuquerque, RafaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
King, StephenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Here's what vampires shouldn't be: pallid detectives who drink Bloody Marys and only work at night; lovelorn southern gentlemen; anorexic teenage girls; boy-toys with big dewy eyes.

"A new vampire for a new century. Cunning, ruthless, and rattlesnake mean, Skinner Sweet has a reputation for cussedness as long as he is ornery. As the first vampire conceived on American soil, however, he's not your usual creature of the night. Stronger, fiercer and powered by the sun, Sweet is the first of a new breed of bloodsucker: the American Vampire. Forty-five years after rising from his grave, Sweet finds himself in 1920s Los Angeles, where the young and beautiful are drawn like moths to the burning lights of Hollywood. Something beyond simple human greed is at work here, however, as struggling young actress Pearl Jones is about to discover. When her movie-star dreams are transformed into a bloody nightmare, Sweet provides her only chance for survival as well as the power to take revenge" -- dust jacket back.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,213,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible