American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder

American Vampire Vol. 1 (edition 2011)

by Scott Snyder, Stephen King, Rafael Albuquereque (Illustrator)

Member:slimy07
Title:American Vampire Vol. 1
Authors:Scott Snyder
Other authors:Stephen King, Rafael Albuquereque (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2011), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 200 pages
Collections:Read
Tags:Graphic Novel, Vampires, Vertigo, Day walker, western, Hollywood, 1920s, outlaws, sheriff

American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder

Sweet is Alive and Thirsty!

American Vampire

I picked up this first volume for several reasons. Stephen King and Scott Snyder! King as anyone knows has written many mystery and horror novels, 50 plus. Snyder has written several takes on Lex Luthor, Batman and Superman. Before that, he wrote the American Vampire series.

This volume one is a compilation of the DC Comics series, issues 1-5.

It's a good time to be alive in the American West. The European vampires are slowly taking over, wanting money as well as blood. The most dastardly is a vampire gang run by Old Man Percy. They prey on young girls but one of them got infected and lived. And so did Sweet, a robber and thief. They both became American vampires.

Fascinating premise and somewhat different that the current vampire craze. Rather than sparkle, they can walk in the sun but are at their weakest during a new moon and at that time can be killed. They can see their reflections in a mirror but it's distorted. Crucifixes and stakes are old hat to these guys, as few as they are.

I cannot help but root for Sweet – he's a bad guy for sure but he is also a man who has carried out a decades-long revenge on the men who killed him originally. One of these is Jim Book.

The feud between them is really fun to read. The panels full of blood and death but done tastefully. Still, not for kids.

The novel's running narrative is by a guy who wrote "Bad Blood", a novel that talked of what happened that day when Sweet became an American vampire.

Bottom Line: Scott Snyder writes fast and develops his characters well. Stephen King, especially in "Suck on This!" is a master of his craft. Art by Rafael Albuquerque is done in a penciled, old-fashioned style that is attractive and during the death scenes, horrific. A nice piece of entertainment. Recommended.

1 vote jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
What if the great American novel was a gruesome story of vampires? Can't wait to read more... ( )
1 vote DougGoodman | May 16, 2014 |
I'll start this off by saying that I fully expected to hate this.. or at least be bored by it. Despite the fact that Scott Snyder is highly regarded in the comic industry at the moment - what with kicking all kinds of ass with the recent Batman reboot/relaunch/whatever - and perennial favorite, Uncle Stevie lending his writing chops to the series, I still expected mediocrity.

Why?

Because I'm starting to hate vampires. No, this isn't an anti-twilight rant nor does it have anything to do with disliking something because it's popular. It mostly has to do with just a never ending stream of what feels like average content. Take Justin Cronin's The Passage series. While I felt the first book was OK at best, the second book was unbearable, so much so that I put it down - I just couldn't soldier on through something I feel so negatively about.

The good news is, with lowered expectations, it only really leaves room for someone to move up. That or dive down into the sub basement of boredom.

Snyder and King craft a story bringing together two distinct periods in time involving two pretty different characters. While at their core, they're a lot a like, it's there origins that bring about conflicting emotions in the reader. One, an outlaw of the old wild west and the other, a struggling young actress in 1920s Hollywood.

Both were excellent and certainly leave a lot in the open for future volumes. I already enjoy Snyder's writing but Rafael Albuquerque's art is exceptional to say the least. His visuals sync up perfectly with the style of the story that's being told and offer up some pretty gruesome shots.

This is the kind of vampire storytelling I can get behind. You've got compelling characters with an interesting plot for them to play around in. It doesn't feel manufactured and the inclusion of vampires never really feels like a gimmick used to cash in on the genre's massive popularity.

I've got volume one and two sitting on my coffee table all set to go - I think I'll be breezing through these in pretty rapid succession. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
The first comic written by stephen king, and it is as well written as his novels. ( )
  ExpatTX | Mar 31, 2014 |
An ok book I guess... Would have been better if Steven King hadn't gone into a rant in his intro about how much he hates sparkling vampires and vampire romance and such - which I tend to agree with - but this book was just as bad so his snootiness sort of ruined it for me. But I didn't actually hate it, so it gets two stars, I guess. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |

Snyder, Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, Stephenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Albuquerque, RafaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Here's what vampires shouldn't be: pallid detectives who drink Bloody Marys and only work at night; lovelorn southern gentlemen; anorexic teenage girls; boy-toys with big dewy eyes.

"A new vampire for a new century. Cunning, ruthless, and rattlesnake mean, Skinner Sweet has a reputation for cussedness as long as he is ornery. As the first vampire conceived on American soil, however, he's not your usual creature of the night. Stronger, fiercer and powered by the sun, Sweet is the first of a new breed of bloodsucker: the American Vampire. Forty-five years after rising from his grave, Sweet finds himself in 1920s Los Angeles, where the young and beautiful are drawn like moths to the burning lights of Hollywood. Something beyond simple human greed is at work here, however, as struggling young actress Pearl Jones is about to discover. When her movie-star dreams are transformed into a bloody nightmare, Sweet provides her only chance for survival as well as the power to take revenge" -- dust jacket back.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible