American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder

American Vampire Vol. 1 (edition 2011)

by Scott Snyder, Stephen King, Rafael Albuquereque (Illustrator)

Member:slimy07
Title:American Vampire Vol. 1
Authors:Scott Snyder
Other authors:Stephen King, Rafael Albuquereque (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2011), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 200 pages
Collections:Read
Tags:Graphic Novel, Vampires, Vertigo, Day walker, western, Hollywood, 1920s, outlaws, sheriff

American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder

This graphic novel tells two stories, one in the 1920s and one in the old west. At first I couldn't tell exactly which tale was the one about the American Vampire. As I went on I finally figured out. The stories are both exciting and the art style was phenomenal. I absolutely loved it. Cannot wait for the next volume to come out. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
I am going to start including graphic novels here because THAT'S WHY.
Well, this was good. I'm not exactly in the market for vampire fiction, certainly not vampire comics. Never heard of Scott Snyder, and Stephen King's name didn't do much to increase my interest. This hearks back to Vertigo's horror roots, of course, though they're a pretty diverse line nowadays, but you rarely get a Vertigo title without a dark and violent edge.
Two parallel stories of vampirism, one in the Wild West, the other in 1930s Hollywod. The older story is about the birth of a new breed of vampire, an outlaw desperado, and the later storyline is about another, newer version of the breed and her battle with the older class of European vamp that inadvertently created her. It's a cracking read, with great art, makes excellent use of its' setting and promises to deliver a lot more in future volumes. Excellent.
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |

Snyder, Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, Stephenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Albuquerque, RafaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Here's what vampires shouldn't be: pallid detectives who drink Bloody Marys and only work at night; lovelorn southern gentlemen; anorexic teenage girls; boy-toys with big dewy eyes.

"A new vampire for a new century. Cunning, ruthless, and rattlesnake mean, Skinner Sweet has a reputation for cussedness as long as he is ornery. As the first vampire conceived on American soil, however, he's not your usual creature of the night. Stronger, fiercer and powered by the sun, Sweet is the first of a new breed of bloodsucker: the American Vampire. Forty-five years after rising from his grave, Sweet finds himself in 1920s Los Angeles, where the young and beautiful are drawn like moths to the burning lights of Hollywood. Something beyond simple human greed is at work here, however, as struggling young actress Pearl Jones is about to discover. When her movie-star dreams are transformed into a bloody nightmare, Sweet provides her only chance for survival as well as the power to take revenge" -- dust jacket back.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible