B.P.R.D., Vol. 12: War on frogs by Mike…

B.P.R.D., Vol. 12: War on frogs (edition 2010)

by Mike Mignola (Author), John Arcudi (Author), Guy Davis (Illustrator), Karl Moline (Illustrator), Peter Snejbjerg (Illustrator)5 more, Herb Trimpe (Illustrator), John Severin (Illustrator), Dave Stewart (Colors), Bjarn Hansen (Colors), Clem Robins (Letters)

Member:donutage
Title:B.P.R.D., Vol. 12: War on frogs
Authors:Mike Mignola (Author)
Other authors:John Arcudi (Author), Guy Davis (Illustrator), Karl Moline (Illustrator), Peter Snejbjerg (Illustrator), Herb Trimpe (Illustrator)4 more, John Severin (Illustrator), Dave Stewart (Colors), Bjarn Hansen (Colors), Clem Robins (Letters)
Info:Dark Horse (2010), Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Moorestown
Rating:***
Tags:comics, serial, american, 21c, BPRD, horror, fantasy

B.P.R.D., Vol. 12: War On Frogs by John Arcudi

Back in history we go, again. This volume is mostly a rehash of what's been going on, demonstrated with some little side stories of the fighting of frogs that we hadn't seen before. Kind of boring since we've already dealt with the frog battles on smaller levels, but they were still good stories. I was quite fond of the last chapter, 5, with Liz and a new girl as the focus.

I really loved Herb Trimpe and Karl Moline's art, and am sad Herb wasn't able to ink his own, as I much prefer his style to Guy Davis'. I enjoyed John Severin and Peter Snejbjerg's art also, and more especially Bjarne Hansen's color work on Snejbjerg's art, a couple spots in particular were exquisite, like the couple two-page spreads near the end of his chapter. ( )
  .Monkey. | Dec 17, 2013 |
War on Frogs could do with some slowing down and introspection. It's a series of short stories taken from the earlier years of the Frog War, and it's a pleasure to see Roger and Daimio again. So far, it's been rather episodic and big-frog-go-boom, which is not why I read these books. It's struck me how far from Mignola's original creepy-beautiful/occult-humour the series has gone. That's okay, in a way - it needed to grow in different directions - but this isn't a good entry so far; too crash-bang, not funny enough, and too superficial.

Note, guys: here's a reason Mignola didn't favour a rear angle on Roger. We don't want to see his grey butt hanging out with the big metal ring dangling in front. Not everyone is Mike Mignola, but please, some dignity here.
1 vote Cynara | Jun 14, 2011 |
This volume provides more detail about what was going on in the agency while Liz was under the spell of the lotus, through the eyes of agents without super-powers. ( )
  kivarson | Nov 23, 2010 |

Arcudi, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, Guymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mignola, Mikemain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense's ongoing war against the frog monsters explodes in five short stories set before Roger's death in B.P.R.D.: The Black Flame.--Amazon.com

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,149,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible