Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco

Chicken Sunday

by Patricia Polacco

Recently added byCFMLibrary, UCV-RE, loranne_marc_test, fmclibrary, private library, Lxm024, amulve2

I liked the book “Chicken Sunday” by Patricia Polacco. One reason I liked this book was because of the characters. Since Patricia Polacco’s books are written about real life events the characters are relatable. In this particular story, it talks about neighbors and how they were a different religion. “They weren’t the same religion as I was. They were Baptists.” Another aspect I liked about this book was the illustrations. The illustrations took up most of the page and were brightly colored. Another reason I liked the illustrations was because the people in the illustrations were drawn with very detailed and accurate facial expressions so the reader knew how the characters were feeling. The big idea of this story is to accepting of people who have different religions. ( )
  amulve2 | Oct 30, 2014 |
Summary:
This book is about a woman who has a tradition of making large fried chicken dinners on Sundays after church. Her grandchildren and a neighbor girl see her admiring an Easter bonnet at a hat store on the way home from church. They go to the hat store to see if there is anything they can do to earn money to buy the hat for their grandmother. Some older kids were throwing eggs at the store and ran away when they got there, so the store owner thought it was them. The children were very upset that the store owner thought they were throwing eggs at his store, So they decorated eggs and brought them to him. He then realized, it wasn't them that was throwing the eggs. He then allowed them to sell their decorated eggs at his store. He also gave them the Easter bonnet for their grandmother.

Personal reaction:
This book made me feel bad. There have been many occasions where I had jumped to the wrong conclusions with my children.
This book also brought back memories of our fried chicken dinners we used to have on Sundays after church.

Classroom Extensions:
I would use this book in my class to start a discussion on jumping to conclusions and how things aren't always as they seem.
I would also use this book to start a discussion on different spring time traditions. I would also research and possibly make a Pysanky egg.
  theresazeigler | Oct 26, 2014 |
Summary:
Chicken Sunday is about a group of children who want to buy their "Miss Eula" a Sunday hat. However, being children, they do not have any money. When they go to ask for work from the owner of the store who sells said hat, they end up being blamed for the egging of his business. When the owner shames them and tells Miss Eula, they attempt to make peace by making Ukrainian eggs. The owner eventually believes the children and allows them to sell their eggs in his shop. The owner gives them the hat as the children go to buy it.

Personal reaction:
I really felt sorry for the children and their wrong place, wrong time misfortune. I would have been so upset if it had been me. I also would have been frustrated with the situation especially if I were trying to do something nice for someone else.

Classroom extension ideas:
1) I would use this book and talk about the Ukrainian eggs and what they mean in the culture, then we would decorate our own. Based on the age we might use a coloring sheet or plastic eggs.
2) I would also use this book by doing a journal opportunity. I would only read to the part where the kids were blamed for throwing the eggs and let them finish the story. The we would share some of our stories before I read the rest of the book.
  yourfavhannah | Oct 25, 2014 |
In my opinion this is a great book. I liked the way the author made diversity in all the characters. The author made the characters with different religions and race in the book. This made the characters well developed. The author was able to create good children for other children to read about. You can see this when the white girl and the two African American boys make the shop owner “Pysanky eggs” (Eggs from the shop owners home town). Patricia Pollacco is able to create a great plot to her story. She’s able to create a problem that the three young children have to fix even though they didn’t do the crime. They were made able to make up for what they did with no conflict and actually benefit from circumstance. Once again in a Patricia Pollacco book, the illustrations are magnificent. The illustrations really made me feel as though I was there and gave me a clear view of what was happening on each page. This first person, fiction children’s book was able to show other children doing nice things for other people. The whole time the kids were trying to help out Ms. Eula and buy her a hat she always wanted. They were able to do this by perseverance. They made it through obstacles and were able in the end to get her the hat. The big idea and message of this book is to show children how to be “good people”. These children were never worried about themselves but always others!
  JordanMyers | Sep 23, 2014 |
After a recent reunion with a family who was so kind to me when I was young, this book resonated in a timely manner, and affirmed the fact that people can make a difference in our lives.

When a young Russian girl befriends African American brothers in her family, they vow to treat each other as family.

Visiting every Sunday, Patricia loves the chicken sunday dinners after church. She grows to thrive in the family and together she and her family of brothers vow to find a way to purchase a hat that Grandmother Eula would love to possess for Easter.

Misunderstood by the shop owner, who stero types them and their intentions, they vow to show they are well intended. When the shop keeper opens his heart and his store to the young group, they sell hand made Russian eggs in his store as a way to buy the bonnet.

So impressed with the love the children have for their beloved Grandmother, he boxes the hat and gives it to them for free. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jul 29, 2014 |
To Stewart Grinnell Washington, with love
Stewart and Winston were my neighbors.

After being initiated into a neighbor's family by a solemn backyard ceremony, a young Russian American girl and her African American brothers' determine to buy their gramma Eula a beautiful Easter hat. But their good intentions are misunderstood, until they discover just the right way to pay for the hat that Eula's had her eye on. A loving family story woven from the author's childhood.

"Polacco has outdone herself with these joyful, energetic illustrations, her vibrant colors even richer and more intense than usual, while authentic details enhance the interest. A unique piece of Americana." --Kirkus Reviews, pointer review

"In this moving picture book, the hatred sometimes engendered by racial and religious differences is overpowered by the love of people who recognize their common humanity." --Booklist, starred, boxed review

"The text conveys a tremendous pride of heritage as it brims with rich images from her characters' African American and Russian Jewish cultures--A tribute to the strength of all family bonds." --Publishers Weekly, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:37 -0400)

To thank Miss Eula for her wonderful Sunday chicken dinners, three children sell decorated eggs to buy her a beautiful Easter hat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible