Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco

Chicken Sunday

by Patricia Polacco

In my opinion this is a great book. I liked the way the author made diversity in all the characters. The author made the characters with different religions and race in the book. This made the characters well developed. The author was able to create good children for other children to read about. You can see this when the white girl and the two African American boys make the shop owner “Pysanky eggs” (Eggs from the shop owners home town). Patricia Pollacco is able to create a great plot to her story. She’s able to create a problem that the three young children have to fix even though they didn’t do the crime. They were made able to make up for what they did with no conflict and actually benefit from circumstance. Once again in a Patricia Pollacco book, the illustrations are magnificent. The illustrations really made me feel as though I was there and gave me a clear view of what was happening on each page. This first person, fiction children’s book was able to show other children doing nice things for other people. The whole time the kids were trying to help out Ms. Eula and buy her a hat she always wanted. They were able to do this by perseverance. They made it through obstacles and were able in the end to get her the hat. The big idea and message of this book is to show children how to be “good people”. These children were never worried about themselves but always others!
  JordanMyers | Sep 23, 2014 |
After a recent reunion with a family who was so kind to me when I was young, this book resonated in a timely manner, and affirmed the fact that people can make a difference in our lives.

When a young Russian girl befriends African American brothers in her family, they vow to treat each other as family.

Visiting every Sunday, Patricia loves the chicken sunday dinners after church. She grows to thrive in the family and together she and her family of brothers vow to find a way to purchase a hat that Grandmother Eula would love to possess for Easter.

Misunderstood by the shop owner, who stero types them and their intentions, they vow to show they are well intended. When the shop keeper opens his heart and his store to the young group, they sell hand made Russian eggs in his store as a way to buy the bonnet.

So impressed with the love the children have for their beloved Grandmother, he boxes the hat and gives it to them for free. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jul 29, 2014 |
I liked this book mainly because of the characters. I think they helped set an example to bridge the gap between generations. For example, in the beginning of the story, the children and old storekeeper were not always friendly with one another. Although by the end of the story, the children and the old storekeeper gain a more positive perspective of one another. Along with the characters, the plot helped bridge the gap between generations. In the beginning of the book, when the children describe the old storekeeper they say, “He’s such a strange old man. He never smiles at anyone. He always loos so mean.” Also, in the beginning, the old storekeeper assumed the children egged his store and asks, “Why do you kids do things like this.” As the story continues, the old storekeeper and children see how their original perspective of each other was not accurate through the acts of kindness they each take part in. The big idea of Chicken Sunday is that trust can be earned when one shows good character. By the end of the story, the old storekeeper saw the children as good hearted and told them to, “Tell [your Grandma] that I know you are very good children, such good children.” ( )
  Kgranit | Mar 6, 2014 |
Patricia Polacco is such an amazing artist and writer, and I loved this book. One reason I like it is because of the multicultural aspect. Trisha is from Ukrainian and Irish descent, and her best friend is an African American boy. I like that they share cultures, she teaches him to paint eggs, and he has her over for his 'Chicken Sunday' dinners. I also like this book because of the artwork. Polacco uses a lot of contrasting light and dark colors, which adds to the light and dark skin of the characters. But, the light and dark colors are always together, such as a white background in her friend's house, or the black clothing of Mr. Kodinski, showing that color doesn't matter, and that the two characters can be friends despite their race. The main idea of this story is to work hard to give someone deserving something special. ( )
  bphill5 | Oct 28, 2013 |
This is a story about the children want to buy that special Easter bonnet in Mr. Kodinski's shop window for their Miss Eula.
this book acn be find at Pierce College
age4/5
  xiomaragrace12 | Oct 28, 2013 |
To Stewart Grinnell Washington, with love
Stewart and Winston were my neighbors.

After being initiated into a neighbor's family by a solemn backyard ceremony, a young Russian American girl and her African American brothers' determine to buy their gramma Eula a beautiful Easter hat. But their good intentions are misunderstood, until they discover just the right way to pay for the hat that Eula's had her eye on. A loving family story woven from the author's childhood.

"Polacco has outdone herself with these joyful, energetic illustrations, her vibrant colors even richer and more intense than usual, while authentic details enhance the interest. A unique piece of Americana." --Kirkus Reviews, pointer review

"In this moving picture book, the hatred sometimes engendered by racial and religious differences is overpowered by the love of people who recognize their common humanity." --Booklist, starred, boxed review

"The text conveys a tremendous pride of heritage as it brims with rich images from her characters' African American and Russian Jewish cultures--A tribute to the strength of all family bonds." --Publishers Weekly, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:37 -0400)

To thank Miss Eula for her wonderful Sunday chicken dinners, three children sell decorated eggs to buy her a beautiful Easter hat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,885,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible