Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco

Chicken Sunday

by Patricia Polacco

This is a cute book. The big message is that if you work hard, great things can come your way. The characters are well developed and believable. Gramma Eula Mae Walker reminds me of my own grandmother. The illustrations enhance the story and is appropriate to the mood of the story. The language is clear and the writing flows and is organized. The point of view is told in first person. The author is the narrator of the story and is told by her point of view. ( )
  Tee_Barnett | Oct 28, 2015 |
Chicken Sunday is a book I personally enjoyed because of the plot twists and unpredictability. While I was reading it, I never could’ve expected for it to end how it did. In my opinion, this is a good book for all ages. It teaches a great moral lesson for kids and shows the innocence and true caring that the main characters have. I found the writing to be very engaging, I was eagerly waiting for every page to find out what was going to happen next. Though many unexpected things happened, like the kids being framed, the story was very easy to follow because of its great organization. The characters were well developed and it was from their point of view. This made it very interesting when they got themselves into trouble because we were able to feel and understand their thoughts and feelings. As I mentioned earlier, Patricia Polacco did a great job incorporating problem and solution into the plot to keep it suspenseful for me. As always, her illustrations brought the story to life. Their simple colors and beauty can help readers connect to the story and relate it back to their own personal experiences. ( )
  mcicch2 | Oct 5, 2015 |
“Chicken Sunday” is written and illustrated by Patricia Palacco. I enjoyed this book because it reflects multiculturalism and diversity is a significant yet subtle way. For example, Mrs. Eula and the boys represent a middle/lower class African American family in the 1960’s while Patricia is a young, white, Jewish girl. All of the characters interact with Mr. Kodinski, a Jewish hat shop owner, who the book hints at had been a survivor of the holocaust. The book also reflects how honesty and doing the right thing pays off. An example of this is when the children apologize to Mr. Kodinski by making him traditional Jewish decorated eggs that he later allows them to sell in his store. Patricia Palacco is always a delightful read for children and parents. ( )
  bboyd7 | Sep 25, 2015 |
“Chicken Sunday” by Patricia Polacco is a great book for kids. Often children find themselves in a situation where they are misunderstood or blamed for something they did not do. This is what happened to Patricia, Stewart and Winston but do to their determination they were able to show Mr. Kondinski that they were not the ones who threw the eggs at his door. This can teach children to find ways to solve problems. Also like the children in the book trying to find responsible ways to make money kids can learn to be helpful and even find their own ways to earn money. ( )
  cbucci1 | Sep 15, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading Patricia Polacco’s “Chicken Sunday” for several reasons. First of all, I liked the message of the book. “Chicken Sunday” shows that kind deeds are often rewarded. Patricia and her neighbors want to buy Miss Eula an expensive Easter hat, and their kindness is rewarded when the owner of the hat shop gives them the hat for free. This book teaches children how they should treat other people, especially adults. There are also several different cultures in “Chicken Sunday,” Patricia is Russian-American, and her neighbors are African-American. I would recommend this book to K-2nd grade teachers, and anyone else who wants to read a great picture book. ( )
  swarnk1 | Sep 14, 2015 |
To Stewart Grinnell Washington, with love
Stewart and Winston were my neighbors.

After being initiated into a neighbor's family by a solemn backyard ceremony, a young Russian American girl and her African American brothers' determine to buy their gramma Eula a beautiful Easter hat. But their good intentions are misunderstood, until they discover just the right way to pay for the hat that Eula's had her eye on. A loving family story woven from the author's childhood.

"Polacco has outdone herself with these joyful, energetic illustrations, her vibrant colors even richer and more intense than usual, while authentic details enhance the interest. A unique piece of Americana." --Kirkus Reviews, pointer review

"In this moving picture book, the hatred sometimes engendered by racial and religious differences is overpowered by the love of people who recognize their common humanity." --Booklist, starred, boxed review

"The text conveys a tremendous pride of heritage as it brims with rich images from her characters' African American and Russian Jewish cultures--A tribute to the strength of all family bonds." --Publishers Weekly, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:42 -0400)

To thank Miss Eula for her wonderful Sunday chicken dinners, three children sell decorated eggs to buy her a beautiful Easter hat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible