Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco

Chicken Sunday

by Patricia Polacco

I would use this book in the 2nd grade to work on sequencing with my students. This book has a good plot line and the students would be able to put events in order. ( )
  SarahSangalli | Apr 26, 2016 |
"Chicken Sunday" includes differences in race, religion, and culture. Many characters are brought in from different backgrounds and beliefs yet are all able to agree on the importance of respect, friendship, and love. This story starts off with an older lady, Miss Eula, taking her children to church and seeing a beautiful hat in a shop window. The children, from different races and religion, come together to get their loved one what she wants most for Easter Sunday. The Russian language was included many times in this story. Words such as Spaseeba (Thank you) and Chutzpah (Courage) were used. Not only does this allow children to see how people from all over the world get along, it also exposes them to different languages and cultures. ( )
  jmistret | Apr 26, 2016 |
I think students would like this book because it is all about doing something nice and generous for someone you love. I liked it for that aspect as well. I would use this in a 2nd-3rd grade classroom and would use it in a lesson on sequencing with a plot chart. I would read this book in a read-aloud and we would go through the plot charts together. ( )
  SalemSmith | Apr 20, 2016 |
I thought this book was really cute. I absolutely loved the illustrations throughout the book. Particularly on pages 3 and 4 when Polacco provides real-life photographs, I think this was a great touch. The illustrations absolutely work with and enhance the story. I think that the plot was very straight-forward and easy to understand. For example on the page when the children were blamed for vandalizing Mr. Kodinski's home, I was afraid where the story was going to go next. I didn't have to wait long! The next page built up a little bit more suspense, but then the page after than, I had some closure. The story provides a sense of hope because these children didn't need to do these things, but since they did, Miss Eula was so proud of them. I think the main idea or message of this book is to do nice things for other people. Miss Eula was elated when the children had done those nice things for Mr. Kodinski, and thus, Mr. Kodinski also did something nice in return. ( )
  hfetty1 | Apr 12, 2016 |
When Patricia was a young child, she grew up with the Washington family in her neighborhood, which included Miss Eula and her grandsons, Stewart and Winston. Patricia was good friends with them and went to their baptist church with them, even though she practiced a different religion. Miss Eula would always stop to admire a particular hat in a shop window on the way back from church. The three kids were trying to save up enough money to buy Miss Eula that hat so they sold decorated eggs. Once they had enough money, the store owner said he knew who they were buying it for and said they could take the hat to give to Miss Eula. The family of the three kids and Miss Eula, even if Patricia wasn't related, was an underlying theme as well as the perseverance to get Miss Eula the hat she wanted to pay her back for everything she did. ( )
  NoelAbadie | Mar 31, 2016 |
To Stewart Grinnell Washington, with love
Stewart and Winston were my neighbors.

After being initiated into a neighbor's family by a solemn backyard ceremony, a young Russian American girl and her African American brothers' determine to buy their gramma Eula a beautiful Easter hat. But their good intentions are misunderstood, until they discover just the right way to pay for the hat that Eula's had her eye on. A loving family story woven from the author's childhood.

"Polacco has outdone herself with these joyful, energetic illustrations, her vibrant colors even richer and more intense than usual, while authentic details enhance the interest. A unique piece of Americana." --Kirkus Reviews, pointer review

"In this moving picture book, the hatred sometimes engendered by racial and religious differences is overpowered by the love of people who recognize their common humanity." --Booklist, starred, boxed review

"The text conveys a tremendous pride of heritage as it brims with rich images from her characters' African American and Russian Jewish cultures--A tribute to the strength of all family bonds." --Publishers Weekly, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:42 -0400)

To thank Miss Eula for her wonderful Sunday chicken dinners, three children sell decorated eggs to buy her a beautiful Easter hat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible