Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Joanne Fluke

1,206616,637 (3.53)1 / 124
Member:Rainrider
Title:Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
Authors:Joanne Fluke
Info:Kensington Pub Corp (2001), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke (2001)

Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

You can’t eat cookies without milk, so when the local milk delivery man of Lake Eden is found dead in his truck outside of Hannah Swenson’s shop, The Cookie Jar, still clutching her cookies, she takes it upon herself to help the investigation.

This is one of those books where I have to scratch my head and wonder why it turned into a popular series. Maybe I’m too critical- I’ve always been a stickler for good writing in books, but even with the leniency I give the fluffy cozy mysteries, this is a bit of a wash.

I think the major problem that I have with this book is that Hannah is billed as a helpless woman who can’t find a man, hates her overbearing mother, doesn’t know how to act like an adult, and then somehow has managed to open and run a successful cookie shop in a tiny town. To add insult to injury, she is transformed after being forced into one cocktail dress, and has two suitors by the end of the book, when before no man ever gave her a second glance.

It just got boring. The amount of clichés and the negativity drummed up by Hannah and her mother is so overwhelmingly tiresome. Hannah complained about her mother offering to buy her a free pair of shoes, for goodness sake! This woman is somewhere around thirty, if I remember correctly, but she acts and complains like a spoiled sixteen year old. It just reads like a poorly written soap opera that has run its course and needs to be canceled.

The mystery itself isn’t really anything to get excited about, once we are actually given the clues to lead us to the killer. Hannah’s investigation is the closest I have seen to a real investigation, and she barrels into interviewing people as if she actually has legal authority. I believe she even impersonates a legal officer by linking herself to the police department with some interviewees, which is borderline illegal. I do see where she would get that impression, however, because her brother-in-law is an officer looking for a promotion, so he lets her do all of the work so he can put his name on it.

This is another one of those endings where the killer admits all, and the protagonist barely escapes. I’m used to seeing these at this point, so I don’t really count it against the book, especially since Hannah walked herself into a trap and was too distracted by her hate of tea sandwiches to pay attention to what was happening at the time.

It got two stars because it isn’t bad enough for a one star review, but I about gave up halfway through this. Don’t be completely turned off by my review, as this is a series that has 18 books as I write this, so I’m assuming a lot of people liked it. I bought the second in the series, Strawberry Shortcake Murder, before reading the first one so I’m hoping the writing improves.

(www.FictionForesight.com) ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |
Short and fun, lightweight murder mystery reading. The mystery was sufficiently tangled, the characters were a bit hit-or-miss, but nothing grated. All in all, an easy, enjoyable read. Includes some yummy-sounding recipes (I seem to be reading a lot of books with recipes lately (without any particular intention of doing so) -- someone must be telling me that I need to cook more!) ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
So much fun, plus I love the recipes. This book really did make me crave a good cookie. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This was the first cozy mystery that I read and I was hooked thereafter. I would say that alone is quite a recommendation. I love the small town setting, the quirky characters and the excellent mystery. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
Only Okay cozy mystery with recipes. The plotting is weak. I find it repetitive. There's little sexual tension. Weak character development. Still, I think it's worth trying one more in the series before giving up. (NOTE - I have,in fact, read a few more and they do get better.) ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 3, 2016 |

Joanne Flukeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Ruel.
Thanks, honey.
Hannah Swensen slipped into the old leather bomber jacket that she'd rescued from the Helping Hands thrift store and reached down to pick up the huge orange tomcat that was rubbing against her ankles.
ebook ISBNs: 9780758252951 & 9780758252937

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 075822530X, Mass Market Paperback)

Hannah Swensen already has her hands full, between dodging her mother's attempts to marry her off, and running Lake Eden, Minnesota's most popular bakery, The Cookie Jar. But when the Cozy Cow Dairy's beloved deliveryman is found murdered behind Hannah's bakery with her famous Chocolate Chip Crunchies scattered around him, Hannah sets out to track down a killer. The more Hannah snoops, the more suspects turn up. This is one murder that's starting to leave a very bad taste in Hannah's mouth, and if she doesn't watch her back, her sweet life may get burned to a crisp.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:21 -0400)

While trying to avoid her mothers matchmaking schemes, Hannah Swensen stirs up trouble when she investigates the murder of her punctual delivery man whose body was discovered behind her bakery surrounded by her world-famous chocolate chip cookies.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,980,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible