Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Joanne Fluke

1,196606,704 (3.53)1 / 122
Member:Rainrider
Title:Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
Authors:Joanne Fluke
Info:Kensington Pub Corp (2001), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke (2001)

So much fun, plus I love the recipes. This book really did make me crave a good cookie. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This was the first cozy mystery that I read and I was hooked thereafter. I would say that alone is quite a recommendation. I love the small town setting, the quirky characters and the excellent mystery. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
Only Okay cozy mystery with recipes. The plotting is weak. I find it repetitive. There's little sexual tension. Weak character development. Still, I think it's worth trying one more in the series before giving up. (NOTE - I have,in fact, read a few more and they do get better.) ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 3, 2016 |
Good "summer" reading. ( )
  Suziere | Jan 24, 2016 |
I've seen the colorful and tasty covers of the Hannah Swenson mystery series by Joanne Fluke over the years so while looking for a book to fulfill a reading challenge I thought this was just the time to check it out. I'm not a big cozy mystery fan. I prefer a more gritty and suspenseful read when picking up a mystery. I have to say the first book was quite amusing and I enjoyed it much more than I expected.

Hannah Swenson, the owner of a popular bakery called The Cookie Jar, is also a proficient amateur sleuth. When Ron LaSalle, delivery man for the Cozy Cow Dairy is killed behind her shop, she is determined to find his killer. She convinces her sister's husband Bill who is the local Sheriff that she can help him get information from suspects by plying them with her cookies. Everyone liked Ron so she knows once she finds the motive she will find the killer.

Hannah is single and her mother is always trying to set her up with any available Lake Eden unmarried man. She makes up new cookie recipes, tries to avoid her mother's phone calls, and spends her free time with her one-eyed cat, Moishe, who is quite the character. There were some implausible parts of the mystery like clues that seemed to fall together a little too predictably and it's completely unbelievable that her brother in law would ask for her help in investigating a murder. As a former accountant I was also curious about her financial bottom line since it seems like she was giving away a lot more free cookies than she was selling them!

The characters were entertaining and like most cozy mysteries it had a bit of a predictable ending. I will admit she kept eliminating suspects and it wasn't until almost the end before I figured out who the killer was. I think I'll keep this series on my list for when I'm looking for a low blood pressure type of read.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |

Joanne Flukeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Ruel.
Thanks, honey.
Hannah Swensen slipped into the old leather bomber jacket that she'd rescued from the Helping Hands thrift store and reached down to pick up the huge orange tomcat that was rubbing against her ankles.
ebook ISBNs: 9780758252951 & 9780758252937

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 075822530X, Mass Market Paperback)

Hannah Swensen already has her hands full, between dodging her mother's attempts to marry her off, and running Lake Eden, Minnesota's most popular bakery, The Cookie Jar. But when the Cozy Cow Dairy's beloved deliveryman is found murdered behind Hannah's bakery with her famous Chocolate Chip Crunchies scattered around him, Hannah sets out to track down a killer. The more Hannah snoops, the more suspects turn up. This is one murder that's starting to leave a very bad taste in Hannah's mouth, and if she doesn't watch her back, her sweet life may get burned to a crisp.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:21 -0400)

With allusions to the movie Fargo, Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder stars a red-haired cook called Hannah Swensen and a very eccentric assortment of Minnesota locals whose lives are disturbed by a killer in their midst.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible