Corduroy by Don Freeman

Corduroy (original 1968; edition 1968)

by Don Freeman

Member:libr202team4
Title:Corduroy
Authors:Don Freeman
Info:Viking Juvenile (1968), Edition: 18th Printing, Hardcover, 28 pages

Corduroy by Don Freeman (1968)

Of course, I enjoyed hearing Martina Boller present the classic story of our friend Corduroy. A classic, Corduroy has a wonderful story line and great message portrayed to the readers of all ages. With pictures on every page the readers are able to match the text with the words on the page. As a modern fantasy book, I enjoyed the fictional story about the teddy bear. Freeman does a great job of sharing the emotions of all the characters in the book, Lisa and Corduroy. Freeman tells an adventurous story full of details. I enjoyed the fact that Lisa still buys Corduroy with all her money despite the fact that he is missing a button! At the end of the book, both Lisa and Corduroy are happy and our now best friends forever! ( )
  jspare2 | Mar 2, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a wonderful book. I believe everyone loves this book, or has read it at some point in their childhood. This book has a lot of emotion and depth in it. If you stop and think about how corduroy felt when nobody wanted him, or when the little girl says that she wanted him “no matter what”. The author does a good job describing the emotions of the characters in the story. This book really did push me to think about things like children left out or acceptance regardless of what you wear. The message of this book is about love and friendship and how to accept others for who they are.
  pbusto1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
Corduroy is a classic children’s book that many people have loved over the years. In my opinion, this is a great story for two reasons. The first reason that I enjoyed reading this story is because of the development of the story. The plot is very suspenseful, as the reader does not know if Corduroy will get his button back or if he will ever have a home. It was very interesting to view the book now as an adult because the illustrations are so different looking from many of the illustrations that we see in modern children’s books. The illustrations help to enhance the story but they are just very outdated. I also enjoyed reading the story because I had never noticed when I was younger that the girl in the story who eventually bought Corduroy was African American. The main message of this heart filled story was that people or in this case things should not be judged by their appearance. ( )
  mbolle1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
Corduroy is the little stuffed bear who waits for someone to love him. My favorite parts of this book are Corduroys journey through the dept. store and when Lisa finally comes back to get him. Fantastic, simple color pictures express this fully realized story.

My only complaint would be the sentiment of loneliness that is expressed in the story. Recognizing it is simply heartbreaking.

I love this story and I love reading it to my son even more. ( )
  pcadig1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
I liked this book for the illustrations. The pictures are simple but nice to look at. The illustrations also add to the story. For example, the illustrations show images to what the author is writing. I also like the story for the plot. The bear goes on an adventure to find his missing button so that someone will buy him and he will have a home. The message of the story is to not give up on something you want. ( )
  egiddi1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
To Sally Elizabeth Kildow and Patrick Steven Duff Kildow, who know how a bear feels about buttons
Corduroy is a bear who once lived in a toy department of a big store.

Have you ever dreamed of being locked in a department store at night? The endearing story of Corduroy paints a picture of the adventures that might unfold (for a teddy bear at least) in such a situation. When all the shoppers have gone home for the night, Corduroy climbs down from the shelf to look for his missing button. It's a brave new world! He accidentally gets on an elevator that he thinks must be a mountain and sees the furniture section that he thinks must be a palace. He tries to pull a button off the mattress, but he ends up falling off the bed and knocking over a lamp. The night watchman hears the crash, finds Corduroy, and puts him back on the shelf downstairs. The next morning, he finds that it's his lucky day! A little girl buys him with money she saved in her piggy bank and takes him home to her room. Corduroy decides that this must be home and that Lisa must be his friend. Youngsters will never get tired of this toy-comes-alive tale with a happy ending, so you may also want to seek out Dan Freeman's next creation, A Pocket for Corduroy. (Ages 3 to 8)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670063363, Hardcover)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:38 -0400)

A toy bear in a department store wants a number of things, but when a little girl finally buys him he finds what he has always wanted most of all.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140501738, 0140542523, 0670063363, 0670013110

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,770,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible