Corduroy (Book and Bear) by Don Freeman

Corduroy (Book and Bear) (original 1968; edition 2008)

by Don Freeman

Member:kirby.kirschmann
Title:Corduroy (Book and Bear)
Authors:Don Freeman
Info:Viking Juvenile (2008), Edition: Har/Toy, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:fiction, classic, friendship, dedication, fantasy, acceptance, reluctant readers

Corduroy by Don Freeman (1968)

Recently added bycesdemo, Keelz09, Kacie11, jowan82, xoxotayb

I think this is a great book for 3 big reasons. First, the setting is something that is so curious for children. A department store after hours is something children would have never seen, but have definitely have wondered about if they've ever been in a store around closing time when they make announcements. I think it would engage the children to read a book that explores a place they are naturally curious about. Next, I like how the girl comes back to the store with her own money to buy the bear after her mother says no because of his missing button. I think this demonstrates a strong positive worth ethic and a sense of pride in earning money. This is important to show children. Lastly, I like how she finds a friend in the teddy bear that was always never good enough for somebody. Its reassuring to young students to know they will fit in somewhere, especially when major changes are occurring like starting at a new school. The moral of the story is that their is beauty in everything. ( )
  Kacie11 | Dec 1, 2016 |
This is a good lesson about fixing things that are broken. I think this book provides a good lesson about saving money and buying things on their own instead of expecting their parents to buy everything for them.
  ChloeFukuda | Nov 28, 2016 |
This was always one of my favorite books as a kid. I loved the idea of stuffed animals coming to life when no one was watching them . ( )
  NaomiJohnston | Nov 24, 2016 |
Corduroy is a children's classic that I myself grew up reading. All children will benefit from reading this classic story about a sweet bear who has lost a button and goes searching for it. While Corduroy doesn't find a button, he does find a home while catching the eye of a little girl shopping, who doesn't care that he is missing a button from his clothes.
  cgjohn3570 | Nov 21, 2016 |
This is my all time favorite book from when I was little! I can still remember the bear I got that we said was Corduroy. This is such a great story to read to students. ( )
  Oliviacap | Nov 21, 2016 |
To Sally Elizabeth Kildow and Patrick Steven Duff Kildow, who know how a bear feels about buttons
Corduroy is a bear who once lived in a toy department of a big store.

Have you ever dreamed of being locked in a department store at night? The endearing story of Corduroy paints a picture of the adventures that might unfold (for a teddy bear at least) in such a situation. When all the shoppers have gone home for the night, Corduroy climbs down from the shelf to look for his missing button. It's a brave new world! He accidentally gets on an elevator that he thinks must be a mountain and sees the furniture section that he thinks must be a palace. He tries to pull a button off the mattress, but he ends up falling off the bed and knocking over a lamp. The night watchman hears the crash, finds Corduroy, and puts him back on the shelf downstairs. The next morning, he finds that it's his lucky day! A little girl buys him with money she saved in her piggy bank and takes him home to her room. Corduroy decides that this must be home and that Lisa must be his friend. Youngsters will never get tired of this toy-comes-alive tale with a happy ending, so you may also want to seek out Dan Freeman's next creation, A Pocket for Corduroy. (Ages 3 to 8)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670063363, Hardcover)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

A toy bear in a department store wants a number of things, but when a little girl finally buys him he finds what he has always wanted most of all.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140501738, 0140542523, 0670063363, 0670013110

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible