Corduroy (Book and Bear) by Don Freeman

Corduroy (Book and Bear) (original 1968; edition 2008)

by Don Freeman

Member:kirby.kirschmann
Title:Corduroy (Book and Bear)
Authors:Don Freeman
Info:Viking Juvenile (2008), Edition: Har/Toy, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:fiction, classic, friendship, dedication, fantasy, acceptance, reluctant readers

Corduroy by Don Freeman (1968)

Corduroy is a fantasy book about a bear who lives in a department store. A little girl stops by and wants to buy him, but her mother says no because he is missing a button. That night, he goes looking for the missing button for his overalls. He ends up in a furniture store where he knocks over a lamp. The security guard returns him to his department store. The next day the little girl comes back and buys him, giving him a new button and a friend. This book is a good fantasy book because it is set in a real place, a department store in the mall. It involves real people doing real things. The concept is of a moving, talking bear, which cannot happen in real life. Freeman does a good job of including details, like knocking over a lamp, wanting a friend, and missing a button, that make Corduroy seem real and believable. This is a good fantasy overall because you can believe that what is happening is real. ( )
  jbohall14 | Feb 2, 2016 |
Great book to teach about point of view and perspective, lovely book for talking about the art as well.
  charity_thurman | Jan 29, 2016 |
In this book Corduroy is a teddy bear at a department store that longs to be bought and given a home. Nobody will buy Corduroy because he is missing a button. He goes in search of a button, but couldn't find one. The next day a girl buys him even though he is missing one of his buttons. This story implies to children that it does not matter what someone looks like what matters is on the inside.
The illustrations are fairly colorful and depict Corduroy's journey as he searches through the department store for his lost button. ( )
  jproc55 | Jan 27, 2016 |
This was a really sweet story about a little bear who wanted to be loved and have a home, and a little girl who gave him that. What made this book great was the characterization of the bear and little girl. In the book that bear thinks, moves, talks, and has feelings, which definitely makes this a fantasy book. I think this book is great because the feelings the little bear has about wanting to have a home and to be loved are all feelings that we have as humans.
I would use this book in my classroom to show what a fantasy book would look like, and then maybe compare it to another book. I would also use this book to help comfort students that are going through foster care or in any situation where they want a home, because they would be able to relate to the emotions in this book really well.
GENRE: Fantasy ( )
  epatt14 | Jan 26, 2016 |
I don't remember having read (or been read) this book as a child, but I recently picked it up for my young son (2 1/2). We both really enjoyed it.

I like the toy come to life imaginative story (seen elsewhere too, but done well, so I like it). I love that the girl has saved up money for the toy and returns on her own for him. I like that Corduroy's thinking about things (I have always wanted, I guess I wanted, etc) mimics Lisa's thinking (I have always wanted). I love that Lisa accepts Corduroy as is, but remarks that he'll be more comfortable with his strapped fastened, and goes about helping him. It felt like being a good friend, not fixing. I love that Lisa can hear Corduroy at the end, that she speaks directly to his statement.

The illustrations are fine, not great, but I do like that the main human character is black. ( )
  kparr | Dec 31, 2015 |
To Sally Elizabeth Kildow and Patrick Steven Duff Kildow, who know how a bear feels about buttons
Corduroy is a bear who once lived in a toy department of a big store.

Have you ever dreamed of being locked in a department store at night? The endearing story of Corduroy paints a picture of the adventures that might unfold (for a teddy bear at least) in such a situation. When all the shoppers have gone home for the night, Corduroy climbs down from the shelf to look for his missing button. It's a brave new world! He accidentally gets on an elevator that he thinks must be a mountain and sees the furniture section that he thinks must be a palace. He tries to pull a button off the mattress, but he ends up falling off the bed and knocking over a lamp. The night watchman hears the crash, finds Corduroy, and puts him back on the shelf downstairs. The next morning, he finds that it's his lucky day! A little girl buys him with money she saved in her piggy bank and takes him home to her room. Corduroy decides that this must be home and that Lisa must be his friend. Youngsters will never get tired of this toy-comes-alive tale with a happy ending, so you may also want to seek out Dan Freeman's next creation, A Pocket for Corduroy. (Ages 3 to 8)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670063363, Hardcover)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

A toy bear in a department store wants a number of things, but when a little girl finally buys him he finds what he has always wanted most of all.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140501738, 0140542523, 0670063363, 0670013110

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,053,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible