Corduroy by Don Freeman

Corduroy (original 1968; edition 2008)

by Don Freeman

Member:Laceyjo10
Title:Corduroy
Authors:Don Freeman (Author)
Info:Viking Juvenile (2008), Edition: Har/Toy, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:friendship, bears, buttons, little girl, store, lost, belonging

Corduroy by Don Freeman (1968)

What is not to love about Corduroy, it is a classic story about a stuffed animal who just wants a friend. The text is written in short simple text through the eyes of a third person narrator. The story has matching illustrations filled with color and purpose. Although I would say this book is more suitable for young children, I feel that every reader can relate to Corduroy and feel empathetic for him and his situation. I like how the author gave Corduroy, a teddy bear, human-like qualities, for example, walking, riding an escalator talking and thinking. These qualities help achieve that empathy for Corduroy and bring out the most important themes of the story: hope, courage and friendship.
  mtrail3 | Mar 6, 2015 |
This lovable story was one of my favorites because it had meaningful text, wonderful illustrations, and an overall great plot. Corduroy is a story that every child could enjoy reading because we have all had that special toy we did not want to part with as a young boy or girl. The text in this way makes the story easy to relate to when trying to find something that is lost but very important to you. Also, I found that the illustrations did well to match the text in what was being described. An example of this is during the text the reader reads about Corduroy climbing off the shelf and traveling the escalator for the first time. Seeing the little bear on one of the much bigger steps helps put his feelings of curiosity into perspective. Lastly, I find this book enjoyable due to its interesting plot. At first the bear seems to not have a chance at finding a family to love him when a girl passes by and wants to take him home. However, the parents feel it is not a suitable toy since it is missing a button to the overalls being worn. As the story progresses and Corduroy searches for the button he later does find a home with the same young girl and spends a happy life with her. Overall the message this story tells is that although someone or something may have flaws it does not mean we can't discover the impact they will have on our life. ( )
  anunez1 | Mar 5, 2015 |
This book is a touching book about a teddy bear that has been on a shelf at the toy store for a while. He is afraid that no one will want him since he is missing a button. He eventually gets taken home by a girl who loves him and fixes his button. This book is so great because it shows the theme of being loved by others even with your flaws. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Of course, I enjoyed hearing Martina Boller present the classic story of our friend Corduroy. A classic, Corduroy has a wonderful story line and great message portrayed to the readers of all ages. With pictures on every page the readers are able to match the text with the words on the page. As a modern fantasy book, I enjoyed the fictional story about the teddy bear. Freeman does a great job of sharing the emotions of all the characters in the book, Lisa and Corduroy. Freeman tells an adventurous story full of details. I enjoyed the fact that Lisa still buys Corduroy with all her money despite the fact that he is missing a button! At the end of the book, both Lisa and Corduroy are happy and our now best friends forever! ( )
  jspare2 | Mar 2, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a wonderful book. I believe everyone loves this book, or has read it at some point in their childhood. This book has a lot of emotion and depth in it. If you stop and think about how corduroy felt when nobody wanted him, or when the little girl says that she wanted him “no matter what”. The author does a good job describing the emotions of the characters in the story. This book really did push me to think about things like children left out or acceptance regardless of what you wear. The message of this book is about love and friendship and how to accept others for who they are.
  pbusto1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
To Sally Elizabeth Kildow and Patrick Steven Duff Kildow, who know how a bear feels about buttons
Corduroy is a bear who once lived in a toy department of a big store.

Have you ever dreamed of being locked in a department store at night? The endearing story of Corduroy paints a picture of the adventures that might unfold (for a teddy bear at least) in such a situation. When all the shoppers have gone home for the night, Corduroy climbs down from the shelf to look for his missing button. It's a brave new world! He accidentally gets on an elevator that he thinks must be a mountain and sees the furniture section that he thinks must be a palace. He tries to pull a button off the mattress, but he ends up falling off the bed and knocking over a lamp. The night watchman hears the crash, finds Corduroy, and puts him back on the shelf downstairs. The next morning, he finds that it's his lucky day! A little girl buys him with money she saved in her piggy bank and takes him home to her room. Corduroy decides that this must be home and that Lisa must be his friend. Youngsters will never get tired of this toy-comes-alive tale with a happy ending, so you may also want to seek out Dan Freeman's next creation, A Pocket for Corduroy. (Ages 3 to 8)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670063363, Hardcover)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:38 -0400)

A toy bear in a department store wants a number of things, but when a little girl finally buys him he finds what he has always wanted most of all.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140501738, 0140542523, 0670063363, 0670013110

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,156,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible