Skin Spirits by Lupa

Skin Spirits

by Lupa

151997,531 (5)None

I loved this book from cover to cover. A really informative and helpful book in so many ways. Even after I finished reading the book, I’ve already used gone back to reread certain sections a good amount of times to refresh my memory on helpful tips and techniques.

This book goes into many different topics around the idea of working with animal parts for both or either spiritual and/or artistic reasons. The author spends time to go over many of the ethical concerns about such work as well as going over the very important legal aspects as well. The author, Lupa, also gives fair warning about differing legalities of certain kinds of animal parts and remains in certain states and countries as well as time periods. The author also gives certain alternative ideas for readers who do not want to work with fur or bones of the once living or remains of the animal they wish to work with can not be obtained by means that follow their own ethics or the laws of where they live.

The author also nicely goes over how to handle and work with what remains on the animal parts themselves, the ‘spin spirits.’ This material, while it was somewhat touched upon in her earlier work Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone, it is refreshing to see such a topic be expanded upon even more.

Lupa’s section on how to make and work with certain animal remains from fur to bones was again very helpful on dealing with the physical aspect of working with remains. She goes over ways to make certain tools and items from headdresses to wall hangings and from dancing skins to rattles and then some.

I warmly recommend this book, and on that note her other works on this subject as well. If this author continues write about this subject of totems, skin spirits, and so on I’ll certainly have to pick up a copy of my own. ( )
  earthlistener | May 11, 2010 |

Lupa is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,326,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible