The Blind Contessa's New Machine: A…

The Blind Contessa's New Machine: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Carey Wallace

Member:SarahAddisonAllen
Title:The Blind Contessa's New Machine: A Novel
Authors:Carey Wallace
Info:Pamela Dorman Books (2010), Hardcover, 224 pages

The Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey Wallace (2010)

Lovely written book. Was sad about how it ended. I'm glad I stumbled upon this book at hpb. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
The Blind Contessa’s New Machine – Carey Wallace
4 stars

How does a blind princess protect her secret heart? This is a fairy tale of a lovely young contessa, her tragic loss of sight, and her experience of love and passion. Based very loosely the invention of a very early typewriter, this story is a little gem. Short enough to read in one sitting, I returned from this book feeling as if I’d spent an afternoon basking in the sun of an Italian villa. Given that the book deals mainly with the Contessa’s loss of vision there is a surprising sense of a great scenic film in the descriptions.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This is a sparkling little jewel of a book, a beautiful love story about a young woman in 19th century Italy who is loosing her sight, full of luminous prose and delightfully vivid descriptions of the countryside. Enchanting. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
A charming fairy tale of a novel, set in Italy. Era undisclosed but I'd guess 18th century. A beautiful young contessa goes blind. Her frivolous yet tender husband Pietro gives her a singing parakeet while bedding her maid servant (one of whose tasks is to inventively "read" a set of large illustrated books to her mistress); her soulmate, neighbor & eventual lover, the eccentric Turri builds her a writing machine (for the composition of notes of assignation). All "action" revolves around a small lake & cabin built by the contessa's father (meant as a gift to his wife who was born by the sea, but given instead to his daughter when her mother rejected it). Just as the fairy tale begins to become tiresome, the narrative rather abruptly ends. The rest of their lives (one suspects they might not have lived entirely happily ever after)are withdrawn from the reader. Another kind of blindness, inevitable yet unexpected at the same time. ( )
  Paulagraph | May 25, 2014 |
Not bad albeit a little bit predictable. Since it has been more than a year since I read it, I recall wishing that the lead male protagonist, whose name escapes me, was more fleshed out and developed. Perhaps it is something for a follow-up work.
  VeritysVeranda | Sep 29, 2013 |

Unable to convince her family and desirable fiancé that she is going blind, early nineteenth-century Italian contessa Carolina Fantoni turns to her dreams and an eccentric local inventor when she loses her sight, inspiring the inventor's development of the first typewriter.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible