The Invisible Bridge (Vintage…

The Invisible Bridge (Vintage Contemporaries) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Julie Orringer

Member:RochelleJewelShapiro
Title:The Invisible Bridge (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:Julie Orringer
Info:Vintage (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 784 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Www ll, Nazi occupation of Hungary and Paris, love story, architecture

The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer (2010)

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: Both of these books are beautifully told novels, set in World War II.
    22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels deal with Eastern Europe during WWII and with the stress that war and separation puts on a marriage.
    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (Milda-TX)
    Four Mothers: A Novel by Shifra Horn (one-horse.library)

English (100)  Norwegian (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (104)
Love story set in Hungary and Paris before/during WWII. Appreciated the family tales and the trusting bonds between friends. As this is a really huge book, start it only when you've got a few days' time and don't have to put it down for too long. ( )
  Milda-TX | Aug 24, 2014 |
I both liked and didn't like this book. It almost made me nervous. I kept waiting for something to happen. Lots of things both good and bad did happen, but it somehow felt unsatisfactory. I would have liked to heard more from the other characters point of view while they were separated from Andras. ( )
  busyreadin | Jul 4, 2014 |
This big yawning novel starts with a simple, young Jewish man named Andras. He’s an aspiring architect from Hungary, who moves to Paris to study. From there we meet Klara and the two begin a tumultuous affair. That covers a tiny splice of the beginning of the novel. After that it’s an exploration of Europe in the 1930s and ‘40s. We see the Germans rise to power, the change in attitude towards the Jewish community across the continent, the other people who are persecuted, etc. It reminded me in a lot of ways of Birdsong, another book that begins with a love story but quickly escalates into an exploration of war and its dehumanizing effect.

Andras and Klara’s romance is certainly central to the whole book, but life gets in the way of their little world. Their troubles and Klara’s past seem so unimportant in the larger scheme of things. As signs of war start building all around them, their options begin to disappear. They realize that whatever happens, if they can stay together they will be alright. Unfortunately, that’s not always possible when your country is at war.

It really feels like two very different books. One tells the story of an ambitious man who falls in love with an older woman. The other is about a Jewish man trying to survive the horrors of World War II in Budapest. Both books are beautiful, but by the end of the novel it’s hard to even recognize the characters you met at the beginning. I suppose that realistically that’s exactly what war does to people. It strips away the things that make them who they are and turns them into something harder. This book shows that transformation in heartbreaking way.

BOTTOM LINE: At times I felt like I couldn’t see the trees for the forest. The writing is beautiful, the story is powerful, but there’s just so much there that it’s easy to get a bit lost. I still loved reading it and would highly recommend it to anyone who loves WWII stories.

“Her starfish pin glittered like a beautiful mistake, a festive scrap torn from an ocean-liner ball, blown across the sea and caught by chance in the dark waves of her hair.”

“The scent of it blew through the channel of the Seine like the perfume of a girl on the threshold of a party. Her foot in its satin shoe had not yet crossed the sill, but everyone knew she was there. In another moment she would enter. All of Paris seemed to hold its breath, waiting.”

“I wouldn’t trade your complication for anyone else’s simplicity.”

“Strange that war could lead you involuntarily to forgive a person who didn’t deserve forgiveness, just as it might make you kill a man you didn’t hate.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 10, 2014 |
Wholly disappointed in this book. It started out strongly with a young Hungarian Jew, Andras, embarking on his architecture studies in Paris, 1937. His brother Tibor is off to Italy to study medicine. In Andras's student years, an incredibly maudlin love affair with an much older woman and the introduction of the woman's unbelievably narcissistic daughter spoiled the rest of the book for me. The brothers' student visas expire and they must return to their homeland. The rest of the novel is the atrocities Hungarian Jews face. The brothers must join different labor battalions, from the Carpathians to Ukraine. In the face of events during the war years, their family tries to stay together. The book was much too sentimental for me. When Andras meets and woos Klara, the story was ruined for me. Although the writing style was good, I thought the author was too wordy. Some of the novel could have been cut. I felt she was manipulative and trying to pull my heartstrings. Some last-minute 'rescues' I felt were implausible, such as the Nazi general pulling Andras from a horrific labor camp to assign him to one to which he could commute from home, or even the love affair and marriage. ( )
  janerawoof | Jun 5, 2014 |
""He could see the inchworm in his mind even now, that snip of green elastic with it's tiny blunt legs, coiling and stretching its way toward the tabletop, on a mission whose nature was a mystery. Survival, he understood now - that was all. That contracting and straining, that frantic rearing-up to look around: It was nothing less than the urgent business of staying alive." p437"
— Julie Orringer (The Invisible Bridge)

I think this quote also describes the length and breadth of this book; slowly coiling and stretching it's way through it's story. ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
"The Invisible Bridge" is a stunning first novel, not just in the manner that Orringer's acclaimed short stories seemed to predict, but in a wholly unexpected fashion. Her short fiction is resolutely contemporary, closely — almost obsessively — observed and firmly situated in the time and place we now inhabit. "The Invisible Bridge," by contrast, is in every admirable sense an "ambitious" historical novel, in which large human emotions — profound love, familial bonds and the deepest of human loyalties — play out against the backdrop of unimaginable cruelty that was the Holocaust.

Ms. Orringer’s long, crowded book is its own kind of forest, and not every tree needs to be here; her novel’s dramatic power might have been greatly enhanced by pruning. But Andras’s most enduring wish, it turns out, is to create a kind of family memorial. And Ms. Orringer, writing with both granddaughterly reverence and commanding authority, has done it for him.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (May 19, 2010)

Julie Orringerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kari RisvikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kjell RisvikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
O tempora! O mores! O mekkora nagy córesz.

O the times! O the customs! O what tremendous tsuris.

-from Marsh Marigold,
a Hungarian Labor Service newspaper,
Banhida Labor Camp, 1939

From Bulgaria thick wild cannon pounding rolls
It strikes the mountain ridge, then hesitates and falls
A piled-up blockage of thoughts, animals, cars and men;
whinnying, the road rears up; the sky runs with its mane.
In this chaos of movement you're in me, permanent,
deep in my consciousness you shine, motion forever spent
and mute, like an angel awed by death's great carnival
or an insect in rotted tree pith, staging its funeral.

-Miklós Radnóti, from "Picture Postcards,"
written to his wife during his death march from Heidenau, 1944

through a needle's eye.

-W.G. Sebald
from Unrecounted)
For the Zahav brothers
Later he would tell her that their story began at the Royal Hungarian Opera House, the night before he left for Paris on the Western Europe Express.

An unforgettable story of three brothers, of history and love, of marriage tested by disaster, of a Jewish family's struggle against annihilation, and of the dangerous power of art in a time of war.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible