Crime Brûlée by Nancy Fairbanks
209655,966 (3.14)8

Good enough to keep going to the end. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
You know, this wasn't a bad book, it just... wasn't. I didn't much care about the characters, couldn't figure out why the protagonist hung out with such a vile group of "friends" and really didn't give a rip if the mystery was solved.

It was very easy to just set the book down - nothing really held me. I think I got about 3/4 way through it (5 or 10 pages at a time) and finally decided to give up.

This is an airplane book. Entertaining, not taxing, and just something to point your eyes at to avoid the other people in your row. ( )
  FiberBabble | Mar 30, 2013 |
Why read: Looking for new-to-me culinary mystery series

What impressed me: I really enjoyed that Carolyn was a culinary writer. It was a great twist on the usual culinary mystery. I loved that the focus shifted away from cooking and was more on the taste and appearance of the food she wrote about.I liked traveling along with Carolyn and getting the touristy feel of New Orleans.

What disappointed me: I'm totally over the victim's jerk spouse. This comes up way too often in mysteries in every form of entertainment . Anyone who's every read a mystery or even seen an episode of Law & Order knows the spouse is always a suspect, so having this one be over the top nasty was unnecessary and slightly annoying.

Recommended: Yes. This book is definitely great for culinary mystery fans, especially foodies that aren't real interested in the actual cooking.

Continue series: If the series continues with Carolyn traveling and tasting her way around the world, I'll definitely enjoy this series for a l ( )
  TequilaReader | Feb 25, 2012 |
I don't know what to say. I wanted to like this and sometimes I sort of did but I'm not committed to this series quite yet. I think I'll have to try another in the series to see what I think of the main character.

Carolyn Blue, a professor's wife is in New Orleans with her scientist husband to attend a convention and a reunion of college friends. When her childhood friend disappears and none of her other friends including the missing woman's husband seem to care. So, Caro decides to try to solve the mystery.

I would have to say the main fault I had with the story was the believability of some of the situations and with Caro's reaction to them. I'm just not sure I'm in love with her yet. But, I'm willing to give it another try. Plus, I loved the food aspect of the whole things so that's a plus. ( )
  bremmd | Jul 10, 2010 |
Every once in a while I just have to read something that requires no thought at all... and this is certainly doing that so far! ( )
  ArtsyReader | May 21, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425179184, Mass Market Paperback)

Forty-something homemaker Carolyn Blue is through with cooking and cleaning. She’s finally decided to throw in the dishtowel—and take on a dream job as food writer. Now her plate is filled with exotic locales, delectable foods, and even a dash of crime—to taste. She could very well get used to this.

It was a perfect arrangement. Carolyn had already planned to accompany her husband to an academic conference in New Orleans—an event that meant visiting old college pals. So why not use the opportunity to write a story about Cajun cuisine? But just as she gets a taste of Creole, she gets a bite of crime…Her friend Julienne disappears at a dinner party. True, she had been fighting with her husband, but this only worries Carolyn more. Now, she has to put her taste-testing aside to search for answers—and the trail leads her right to an alligator swamp. Carolyn better act fast, because in these parts, it’s eat or be eaten…

Includes over a dozen delicious Southern recipes!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:17 -0400)

Detective and mystery stories. Forty-something homemaker, Carolyn Blue is through with cooking and cleaning. She's finally decided to throw in the dishtowel - and take on a dream job as a food writer. Now her plate is filled with exotic locales, delectable foods, and even a dash of crime - to taste. She could very well get used to this. It was a perfect arrangement. Carolyn had already planned to accompany her husband to an academic conference in New Orleans - an event that meant visiting old college pals. So why not use the opportunity to write a story about Cajun cuisine? But just as she gets a taste of Creole, she gets a bite of crime... Her friend Julienne disappears at a dinner party. True, she had been fighting with her husband, but this only worries Carolyn more. Now, she has to put her taste-testing aside to search for answers - and the trail leads her right to an alligator swamp. Carolyn better act fast, because in these parts, it's eat of be eaten.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,520,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible