Curious George by H. A. Rey

Curious George (original 1941; edition 1973)

by H. A. Rey, Margret Rey

Member:conlonk
Title:Curious George
Authors:H. A. Rey
Other authors:Margret Rey
Info:HMH Books (1973), Hardcover, 64 pages
Rating:*1/2
Tags:Children's story, funny, picture book

Curious George by H. A. Rey (1941)

Weebeastology Volume I by micah linton (vinoartist)
    vinoartist: Most likely to remember and pass along.

This is a book that was very popular from my childhood. I love the simple illustrations of a curious monkey who constantly gets in trouble. Although they could be much better if the colors were more vibrant. But overall they are very clear about what is going on which is good for young children. This book is perfect for young children who are curious and imaginative. It shows what could happen to them if they get into mischief. But this book could also encourage children to explore their surroundings and use their imagination.

One thing about this book that I did not particularly like was that there were times when the pictures and text did not exactly match up.One example of this was when George was taken from Africa by the man in the yellow hat. The text says "George was sad" but then the pictures shows the exact opposite. George is with the man in the yellow hat and is smiling and looks very happy. To a young child this could be very confusing because the book says one thing but the pictures show another. Overall, I liked this book because it was such a main part of my childhood. I remember reading these books with my mom and that was the best. ( )
  sreinh2 | Oct 13, 2014 |
I found this book to be entertaining as well as slightly informational. The author uses context within the book that is comprehensible for young readers, but uses some strong context. The author uses matching illustrations which make it easier to understand the story that is taking place. I also like how the author uses repetition within their writing with their use of "curious". This writing style is important for young readers and writers to be able to identify, as well as model within their own writing. ( )
  kcrous3 | Oct 1, 2014 |
Summary
A story about a curious little monkey who is captured by a man in a yellow hat and brought back to the man's home. He names the monkey George and George is so curious and wrecks havoc in the city. From being whisked away by a bunch of balloons to dialing the fire department on accident, this book is non stop action and adventure. Fun for all ages.

Personal Reaction
This book can be enjoyed by anyone! I love turning the pages to see what George gets himself into next. It's suspenseful and funny. One of my favorites as a child and one of my two year old son's favorites now. He is just as curious and actually, reading this book is helping him understand his own little curious self.

Classroom Extension
I would use this to spark a conversation among the children about their own curiosities. I would also have them draw a picture about a time when they were most curious and got into situations like George. I would also share with them a time that I was most curious as a kid.
  sarah_desrosier | Sep 17, 2014 |
Curious George is a tale about a Monkey from Africa and his adventure to the zoo in America. A man in a yellow hat finds George in a jungle while in Africa. He plans to take him to a zoo in America. George likes the man in the yellow hat and goes with him. George gets into mischief while on the boat home and falls overboard. When he arrives at the man in the yellow hats home, he find the telephone fun to play with, but accidently calls the fire department. George is arrested and sent to jail. George is able to escape from jail through the bars and begins exploring the city. When he sees a man with balloons he decides he wants one. When George grabs the balloons he is whisked away and flies over the city. The man in the yellow hate sees him and rescues him. The man in the yellow hat takes George to the zoo, a nice place for George to live. ( )
  natalie.loy | May 29, 2014 |
In my opinion, the book Curious George by H.A Ray is one of the best children’s books I have read. I like this book because of the way the author portrays each character. The Man with the Yellow Hat is George’s caretaker who can never seem to keep ahold of rambunctious and curious George. I enjoyed the plot line of how George is taken from the wilderness to a city in hopes of living in a zoo. Another reason why I liked this book is because of the illustrations. For example, the author shows George and the Man with the Yellow Hat smoking a pipe and eating dinner together. This comical personification is enjoyable and relatable throughout the entire story. This modern fantasy has an overall message of friendship and opportunity. ( )
  arodri13 | May 7, 2014 |

Rey, H. A.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rey, Margretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is George.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039515023X, Paperback)

In this, the original book about the curious monkey, George is taken from the jungle by the man in the yellow hat to live in a new home, but--oh, what happened! Though trying to be good, George is still very curious and takes a swim in the ocean, escapes from jail, and goes for a flying ride on a bunch of balloons. This treasured classic is where it all began for the curious, loveable monkey and is a must have for any children's book collection.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:54 -0400)

The curiosity of a newly-captured monkey gets him into continual trouble.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible