I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

I Shall Wear Midnight (2010)

by Terry Pratchett

Other authors: Paul Kidby (Cover artist)

Series: Discworld (38), Discworld: Tiffany Aching (4), Discworld: Young Adult (5)

3,3941312,415 (4.24)1 / 207
    Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, petwoe, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    petwoe: Noteably for the parallels between Tiffany and Eskarina.
    ijustgetbored: For the backstory on Eskarina Smith, and for the parallels between Tiffany and Esk.

English (129)  German (2)  All languages (131)
3.5 stars

Tiffany Aching is now 15 years old. She is a good witch and helps people when they need help. Unfortunately, an older man, the Baron (also the father of Tiffany’s friend, Roland) passes away under her care. Also a girl, Amber, has been abused by her father and she is found with the Nac Mac Feegles (the tough Scottish fairies) and their “kelda” (female leader). Somehow an evil force has awakened and is coming after Tiffany.

Hard to write a summary, as there were a few different things going on. Overall, I liked the book, though some parts were better than others. I found Amber’s storyline interesting, as well as when Roland’s fiancee, Letitia, appears – I liked her, too. There were parts that I didn’t find quite as interesting, but overall, it was enjoyable. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 15, 2019 |
A good finishing point for Tiffany Aching, but not quite up up to my level of expectations. Pratchett is a favorite of mine and I will always give his work the benefit of the doubt, but I couldn't help but think while reading this that perhaps this is the beginning of the end.

'I Shall Wear Midnight' is not bad, not at all, its just that it is similar to certain earlier books in the series in that it lacks synthesis. There's a great deal of build-up and events, but by the end there were still a couple of loose ends and characters that didn't seem fulfilled.

Its probably in bad taste to say it, but I think this could be the beginning of the end because Pratchett was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's in 2006 or thereabouts. If anything, his books have only kept improving since then, becoming ever more nuanced and sophisticated and dealing with heavy stuff -- all the while, delivering laughs -- all through this past decade. I Shall Wear Midnight is the first one that shows any sign that all is not well with Pratchett.

It could be that he just wasn't feeling Tiffany Aching as a character anymore and wanted to wrap up her story properly instead of just leaving her, another concession to the kid/young adult market. That kind of forced writing could explain why I felt this book was lacking.

The Cunning Man didn't seem to compare to a young girl facing the Queen of the Fairies and the Hiver, or defeating Winter and the bit of buzz I caught about a certain female wizard making an appearance didn't live up to the oddly out-of-place 'reality' of it. As much as I was glad to see her, it wasn't necessary and could only confuse younger readers who haven't read the other Discworld books.

But, being Pratchett, even slightly flawed Pratchett, means a good, fun read. This will satisfy most fans, even this one, even if I must insist on pointing out the main behind the curtain.

Discworld

Next: 'Snuff'

Previous: 'Unseen Academicals' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is my favorite Tiffany Aching story so far. The theme is witchhunts, evil and misunderstandings. Both Tiffany and Pratchett are at their full power and compassion. Tiffany finds her match. I loved the full compendium of witches that show up, and run-in with the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. All of it bathed in wise-cracks and hilarious observations, as usual. A new favorite! ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I have two copies of each of the books in the series. One copy for having, one for sharing out. The final book did not disappoint... I laughed, I may have cried *a very little* at the end. Not much. We are not saps over here at Casa Wilde. Oh no.

I am glad these books are in the world. ( )
  sussura | Sep 29, 2018 |
The Tiffany Aching series' of Discworld is my favorite so far largely because of the performance of Stephen Briggs on the audiobook. While the books are excellent, funny stories, they're made much better when I can hear the shouts of Crivens! for myself. I've got one book left in this series, The Shepherd's Crown, and I can't imagine reading it on paper (or e-ink) at this point. ( )
  neverstopreading | Jul 9, 2018 |

Mayer, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I dedicate this book to Mr [George Ewart] Evans, a wonderful man who helped many of us to learn about the depths of history over which we float. It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you don't know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you're going. And if you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.

Terry Pratchett
Wiltshire
27 May 2010

Author's note.
Why was it, Tiffany Aching wondered, that people liked noise so much?
Still, it could have been worse, she told herself as they set off. For example, there could have been snakes on the broomstick.
Roland was staring at Tiffany so nonplussed he was nearly minused.
The room (at Keepsake Hall) was full of bookcases, and the books on them gleamed. These weren't cheap modern books; these were books bound in leather, and not just leather, but leather from clever cows who had given up their lives for literature after a happy existence in the very best pastures. The books gleamed as Letitia moved around the large room lighting other lamps. She hauled them up toward the ceiling on their long chains, which swung gently as she pulled so that the shine from the books mixed with the gleam from the brasswork until the room seemed to be full of rich, ripe gold.
"A wedding almost straight after a funeral...I can tell you in truth that at such times the universe gets a little closer to us. They are strange times, times of beginnings and endings. Dangerous and powerful. And we feel it even if we don't know what it is These times are not necessarily good, and not necessarily bad. In fact, what they are depends on what we are."

It starts with whispers.

Then someone picks up a stone.

Finally, the fires begin.

When people turn on witches, the innocents suffer. . . .

Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the bits of witchcraft that aren’t sparkly, aren’t fun, don’t involve any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.

But someone—or something—is igniting fear, inculcating dark thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this unrest and defeat the evil at its root—before it takes her life. Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

Chilling drama combines with laugh-out-loud humor and searing insight as beloved and bestselling author Terry Pratchett tells the high-stakes story of a young witch who stands in the gap between good and evil.

Fifteen-year-old Tiffany Aching, the witch of the Chalk, seeks her place amid a troublesome populace and tries to control the ill-behaved, six-inch-high Wee Free Men who follow her as she faces an ancient evil that agitates against witches.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,436,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible