I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld) by Terry…

I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Terry Pratchett

2,280None2,790 (4.25)1 / 126
Member:the_dodger
Title:I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edición: Reprint, Paperback, 368 páginas
Rating:***
Tags:2012

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (2010)

2010 (20) 2011 (14) children's (17) Discworld (318) ebook (26) English (11) fantasy (463) fiction (229) hardcover (18) humor (144) Kindle (15) library (13) magic (46) Nac Mac Feegle (30) novel (18) Pratchett (55) read (16) read in 2010 (14) satire (16) science fiction (14) series (26) sf (15) sff (23) Tiffany Aching (129) to-read (27) unread (12) Wee Free Men (15) witches (116) YA (75) young adult (82)
    Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, petwoe, elvisettey)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    petwoe: Noteably for the parallels between Tiffany and Eskarina.
    elvisettey: For the backstory on Eskarina Smith, and for the parallels between Tiffany and Esk.

English (93)  German (1)  All languages (94)
The most recent in the series. It has been wonderful to see Tiffany grow in these books. She still maintains her cleverness since the original- but wiser in some of her choices. There is still a feeling that she has a lot to learn. I can't wait to see even more of this character.

There has also been a board game created based upon all the Tiffany books and some of the Disc World witches books! ( )
  DeweyEver | Feb 24, 2014 |
What a combo! Terry Pratchett read by Stephen Briggs. I'm just sorry that these books come to an end. The creativity that created this world is astonishing. There is a great deal of depth the the stories and a great deal of laughter. Heath and I were amazed at the Feegle Glossary included at the end of this book. I did get the print book to peruse the glossary. It didn't work as well in the audiobook. Long may Terry Pratchett live and write! Thank you Stephen Briggs for your wonderful reading! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Review originally posted at EmmaMaree.com

I recently read Terry Pratchett's latest Tiffany Aching/The Wee Free Men series book, "I Shall Wear Midnight".

I love Sir Terry Pratchett's writing, and I wasn't disappointed at all here - the same wonderful mix of humor and wordplay was abundant, alongside the detailed worldbuilding that surrounds the Discworld novels.

It was a lot darker than previous books, though - the story opens with a village riot, and Tiffany helping out a village girl who's been beaten up by her father and lost a child because of it. Tiffany is trying to take care of the locals in her home, The Chalk, but with rumors spreading and fear rising against witches, her job is becoming not just unglamorous, but dangerous. She's determined to find out the cause, knowing that her home and her life both hang in the balance.

Some of the descriptions were more graphic than usual for this series, and while the previous books were suitable for young readers this one definitely leans more towards the female YA reader crowd. ( )
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |

My favorite thing about this is seeing the community of characters come together -- both in terms of characters from various Discworld sub-series appearing AND in terms of the community-building within this book. So many novels consist of a few lead characters and zillions of incidental walk-ons who don't really matter. But here every character is part of at least one community, and they all feel valued as individuals rather than utilized as extras to accomplish a plot device. It's fantastic.

Now I'm impatient for Snuff to come out! ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
This is Tiffany Aching's fourth adventure and because of a bit of misfortune and luck (not on her part anyway), she is now faced with her worst enemy yet. An evil so foul that you could pass out just from smelling it. People are dying, and more will die, and she alone must face it and find a way to win, for her life, for her Chalk, and for witches everywhere ( )
  IAmAndyPieters | Dec 25, 2013 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why was it, Tiffany Aching wondered, that people liked noise so much?
Still, it could have been worse, she told herself as they set off. For example, there could have been snakes on the broomstick.
It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you don't know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you're going. And if you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.

It starts with whispers.

Then someone picks up a stone.

Finally, the fires begin.

When people turn on witches, the innocents suffer. . . .

Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the bits of witchcraft that aren’t sparkly, aren’t fun, don’t involve any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.

But someone—or something—is igniting fear, inculcating dark thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this unrest and defeat the evil at its root—before it takes her life. Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

Chilling drama combines with laugh-out-loud humor and searing insight as beloved and bestselling author Terry Pratchett tells the high-stakes story of a young witch who stands in the gap between good and evil.

Fifteen-year-old Tiffany Aching, the witch of the Chalk, seeks her place amid a troublesome populace and tries to control the ill-behaved, six-inch-high Wee Free Men who follow her as she faces an ancient evil that agitates against witches.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,427,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible