I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld) by Terry…

I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Terry Pratchett

2,357972,666 (4.24)1 / 129
Member:the_dodger
Title:I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edición: Reprint, Paperback, 368 páginas
Rating:***
Tags:2012

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (2010)

Recently added byNineLarks, Balailey, private library, Geovos, divinenanny, tollelege9, lexmccall, angstophile
    Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, petwoe, elvisettey)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    petwoe: Noteably for the parallels between Tiffany and Eskarina.
    elvisettey: For the backstory on Eskarina Smith, and for the parallels between Tiffany and Esk.

English (96)  German (1)  All languages (97)
I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett is the 38th Discworld novel and the last of the Tiffany Aching books. Tiffany is back on the Chalk as their witch. And that means dealing with the unpleasantries of life, such as domestic violence. As this is the Disc, there are things that feed off the anger of people, and now one of these things has come to the Chalk.

Meanwhile, change has come to the Chalk with the death of the Baron. Tiffany therefore has to go and bring home the new Baron, Roland. It's her first time in the big city and you can imagine what can happen when a witch and her Nac Mac Feegles descend on Ankh-Morpork!

As this is the end of the Tiffany Aching series, it's time for Roland and Tiffany to assume the roles laid out for them. Roland must do his part as the Baron and use his influence to guide the development of the Chalk. Tiffany as the witch takes on her grandmother's role, being a shepherdess and a mentor for the Baron.

It's also a chance to see Tiffany as a full-fledge (albeit young) witch among her peers. Through Tiffany's friendship with the Roland, his wedding will be a big draw of both witches and nobility, including Magrat who is both. So it's fun to see Granny, Nanny, and Magrat all together again, even though Magrat has stepped aside from witchcraft for the most part, leaving her place in the trio to Agnes (Carpe Jugulum).

Like so many good YA series, this is one that grows with its readers. In the course of four books (Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, and I Shall Wear Midnight we see Tiffany grow. We see her go from raw talent, through initial lessons, to making mistakes and fixing them, to her first big responsibility as a full fledged witch. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 2, 2014 |
When I first came across this book (long before I knew of Tiffany Aching or Discworld), I wanted to read it, but the cowardly part of me didn't want to face the horrible things that were to come. If that makes sense..

Anyway I'm glad to have read it, though sad that the Tiffany Aching series has ended for now. I'm glad she found Preston..because there needs to be romance!

All in all excellent characters as usual, no diminishing of TP's trademark hilarity, though this had a few more serious overtones.

And yay as always for the Nac Mac Feegles & their new member Wee Arthur of the Polis (ye ken) :D ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Possibly my favorite Discworld book. Then again, I can't really remember probably half of the books in the series, and I just finished reading this one, so I'm not sure I trust my current opinion. In any case, this was a very good book. Though my five-star rating of it says as much anyhow. I was somewhat put off by the fact that this book was listed, among the other Discworld books, as "for younger readers," but I suppose that's mostly because the main character is younger than most of the main characters in the rest of the books, since nothing else about the writing or plot seemed to differ stylistically from any other Discworld novels.
So, anyway, another amazing book from one of my very favorite authors! ( )
  -sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |
So, anyway, another amazing book from one of my very favorite authors! ( )
  -sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |
Reliable. Entertaining, thoughtful, charming and full of human kindness and humour. Just what I wanted. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why was it, Tiffany Aching wondered, that people liked noise so much?
Still, it could have been worse, she told herself as they set off. For example, there could have been snakes on the broomstick.
It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you don't know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you're going. And if you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.

It starts with whispers.

Then someone picks up a stone.

Finally, the fires begin.

When people turn on witches, the innocents suffer. . . .

Tiffany Aching has spent years studying with senior witches, and now she is on her own. As the witch of the Chalk, she performs the bits of witchcraft that aren’t sparkly, aren’t fun, don’t involve any kind of wand, and that people seldom ever hear about: She does the unglamorous work of caring for the needy.

But someone—or something—is igniting fear, inculcating dark thoughts and angry murmurs against witches. Aided by her tiny blue allies, the Wee Free Men, Tiffany must find the source of this unrest and defeat the evil at its root—before it takes her life. Because if Tiffany falls, the whole Chalk falls with her.

Chilling drama combines with laugh-out-loud humor and searing insight as beloved and bestselling author Terry Pratchett tells the high-stakes story of a young witch who stands in the gap between good and evil.

Fifteen-year-old Tiffany Aching, the witch of the Chalk, seeks her place amid a troublesome populace and tries to control the ill-behaved, six-inch-high Wee Free Men who follow her as she faces an ancient evil that agitates against witches.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,778,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible