Blackest Night by Geoff Johns
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps must join forces with their rivals of the other colors to battle the Black Lanterns, an army of undead superheroes and villains--all their deceased friends and foes--who are out to destroy all life.

Although I've never really been into the Green Lantern Corps, I picked this up on the strength of Johns' work on Flash and Infinite Crisis. An obscure villain called Black Hand has somehow become an emissary of death and black lantern rings are resurrecting dead heroes and villains in terrifying form. Lots of heroes fighting lots of super-zombies ensues. Many people die, though few of these scenes are actually affecting. There are parts I enjoyed, mainly the quiet scenes with Hal Jordan and Barry Allen just talking. The writing elsewhere is sometimes embarrassing. The art is technically good but very busy; every inch of each panel is filled with so much detail that you don't know where to look. That's just not how comic art works. There are too many "magical" explanations for events (or no explanation at all), and ultimately the color-coded emotions idea is rather silly. An average effort at best from a writer who has done much better. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
When the ancient prophecy of the Guardians come true and Black Lantern rings begin to fall on earth, bringing the dead back to something resembling life, Hal Jordan, the Green Lanterns, and the superheroes of Earth will have to align with Lanterns across the colour spectrum to attempt to defeat this new evil.

The art in this one is fantastic, which is little bit much in some cases as big chunks of the narrative is filled with what are essentially zombies off the flesh falling off and skeletons protruding school. If the initial darkness and creepiness of the villains isn't enough to throw you off, there's a great heroes unite plot going on here that focuses heavily on the Lanterns but incorporates tons of characters from across the DCU. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 25, 2018 |
Honestly, I'm glad I waited this long to read this collection, as it was extraordinarily "meh" to me.

Granted, I've been reading comics since 1976 or so, so I've seen a lot of this sort of thing before.

It was pretty and very well drawn, so kudos to Reis and Company, but Johns' work has been better.

Am I the only one who thinks bringing Barry and Hal back from the dead was a waste of time and less a tribute to the characters than fan-fic-gone-pro? I would have enjoyed this story a lot more if the center of it was Kyle & Wally as GL & Flash struggling with the potential threat of having to fight Hal & Barry as Black Lanterns and/or the whole resurrection vs. reanimation shtick.

Not bad, but hardly worth the price point or all the hype, in my opinion. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
I'm not the biggest fan of the comic books that refuse to develop a character in lieu of featuring appearances by dozens of other comic book characters. If I had wanted to read Aquaman or the Atom, I would've purchased said comics. That said, the story is kind of cool here (though unreasonably confusing) and the artwork is stellar (though the zombies are difficult to tell apart.) Honestly it seems fitting that the reader is only slightly more confused than our heroes in the story are as to what exactly is going on.

In spite of being a Green Lantern comic it seems Barry Allen is more prominent in this particular graphic novel than any other character. Mera seems to compete with Hal Jordan for the second most lines. All said and done it is a pretty comic and I can see why the comic book world went nuts for this, as the kid in the store told me it did. Not my cup of tea. ( )
  Martholamew1729 | Jul 29, 2016 |
I seldom give comics five stars, and the five stars aren't to say that there weren't a few iffy things about this TPB. For example, it was so very tireing to read because there was so much going on with the plot an din some cases, the art. The pages were in some places almost like a run-on fight.

This was an overview TPB of the Blackest Night universe spanning story line. As for the plot, well, I guess now there are many colors and kinds of Lantern rings, and there's even a Black Lantern that's Death. Well, the Black Lantern rings come to Earth and raise the dead and they fight against the Green Lanterns, Yellow Lanterns, and all the other colors of the Lantern Corps. And then White Lanterns get thrown into the mix.

Then there's the art. Holy Moley, amazing and totally awesome. Just plain astounding art. ( )
  DanieXJ | Oct 25, 2014 |

Johns, GeoffAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reis, IvanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Right now you two are Superman and Wonder Woman.
None of us thought we'd ever be envious of Guy Gardner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,753,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible