Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint by Jay…

Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint (1956)

by Jay Williams, Raymond Abrashkin, Jay Williams

Series: Danny Dunn (1), Danny Dunn - Pocket Order (7)

Published in 1956, this reminds me of the dreadful science-fiction television shows from the same time. The story is improbably, the characters are flat and stereotypical, the humor is lame - but the retro feel and the hard science (aside from the anti-gravity paint) is sound and delightful and I'm glad I purchased this for my "Geek Books for Children" collection!
I read another of these stories a few weeks ago. This one is the first. The one I read then is the third, and introduces the Irene Miller - an smart-mouthed, intelligent girl - which is probably why I like that one better. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 21, 2014 |
This book is simply brilliant. Should be compulsory reading for any budding inventor or scientist. While we are waiting for reality to catch up and anti-gravity paint to become available in the stores, the adventures of Danny Dunn help pass the time. ( )
  NilsAndersson | Jan 19, 2014 |
From 1969 vintage Scholastic cover:

"Look out!" cries Professor Bullfinch. But he is too late. Danny Dunn has already knocked over the mysterious flask. The strange glowing liquid spills to the floor.

Not until the professor shoots to the ceiling does the scientist realize what has happened. Gravity has been conquered...and by accident!

Danny has a hard time keeping the news "top secret" as the professor starts working for the government on the first anti-gravity spaceship. Little does Danny know that he will find himself a passenger on the first flight--or what a wild ride and hair-raising tour of the planets that ride will be!
  Sasha_Doll | Sep 7, 2007 |

Jay Williamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abrashkin, Raymondmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, Jaymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Keats, Ezra JackIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hank and John
and Chris and Vickie
Space Captain Daniel Dunn stood on the bridge of the Revenge with his eyes on the viewer screens.

When Danny Dunn tips over the mysterious jar of glistening liquid, he has no way of knowing that he will involve himself, his friend Joe, and Professor Bullfinch in a wild flight between planets. But anything can happen when Danny is around - and practically does!

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible