Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics: That…

Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics: That Will Be Able to Come Forward… (1783)

by Immanuel Kant, Gary Hatfield (Editor)

I read large portions of this work slightly drunk, and that either assisted my understanding or had no effect. It's definitely better taken in as a whole rather than scrutinized sentence by sentence. The man repeats himself enough that things will start coming together if you just press on. Don't ask me to explain anything. It makes sense in my head, but I can't make it come out my mouth. ( )
  SomethingIshy | Jan 29, 2016 |
  OberlinSWAP | Jul 20, 2015 |
  OberlinSWAP | Jul 20, 2015 |

Never will the 'I love it/ I like it/ It's okay...' rating system be less helpful than with this book. But it is okay as a helping hand for Kant's first Critique. Where the ideas are most compelling, this book is clearest; where the ideas are the least compelling, this book is dense and nonsensical (hello, tables of judgment/concepts/principles). Anyway, it's silly to rate this book. This edition, on the other hand, is great: it has a fantastic introduction, useful selections from the first critique, and the early reviews of the CPR that Kant responds to in the appendix to the Prolegomena. The translation could be smoother, but then, Kant could have been smoother too.

It sucks, but I think the best track is to read the CPR first, and then this, or maybe this, then CPR, then this again. I can't really see that you'd get much out of the Prolegomena alone. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
This is what I read on lazy Sunday afternoons.

A very concise (and almost readable!) work by Kant, summarizing and clarifying some of the monstrous and intricately detailed trails of thinking from his masterwork, The Critique of Pure Reason. Lays out the groundwork for the philosophy of science, logic, and metaphysics. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |

Kant, Immanuelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hatfield, GaryEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hatfield, GaryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hatfield, GaryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hatfield, Gary C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schulz, KarlEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If it becomes desirable to present any cognition as science, it will be necessary first to determine exactly its differentia, which no other science has in common with it and which constitutes its peculiarity; otherwise the boundaries of all sciences become confused, and none of them can be treated thoroughly according to its nature.

Se si definisce "metafisica" una conoscenza che si svolge interamente nel pensiero, senza riferimento all'esperienza, come è possibile una metafisica critica, e non dogmatica? Guidato da questa domanda, Kant nei Prolegomeni del 1783 elabora l'idea di una conoscenza a priori, fondata sul pensiero puro, ma che sia anche sintetica, in grado cioè di aggiungere nuovi contenuti riferiti all'esperienza. Spinti dalla nostra esigenza di oltrepassare con il pensiero i limiti della conoscenza, cerchiamo continuamente di pensare l'oggetto della metafisica, per quanto esso sia fuori dalla sfera delle nostre possibilità cognitive. Se, quindi, i confini del conoscere non coincidono con quelli del pensare, è possibile sviluppare una filosofia di carattere morale e religioso e non puramente scientifico. Da qui inizia la profonda lettura di Piero Martinetti, che attraverso un commento puntuale dei passi più importanti dello scritto kantiano, ne mette in luce, accanto alla profondità teorica, l'estremo e insuperato valore etico-pratico.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0872205932, Paperback)

This edition of Prolegomena includes Kant's letter of February, 1772 to Marcus Herz, a momentous document in which Kant relates the progress of his thinking and announces that he is now ready to present a critique of pure reason.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:29 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,735,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible