Dating Dead Men by Harley Jane Kozak

Dating Dead Men (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Harley Jane Kozak

Member:1Betsey
Title:Dating Dead Men
Authors:Harley Jane Kozak
Info:Doubleday (2004), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read and kept
Tags:own, read in 2013

Dating Dead Men by Harley Jane Kozak (2004)

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
I picked this up recently at our local Friends of the Library sale because the title and cover caught my eye. I found myself really enjoying the book, even though I never felt the level of danger equaled the situations in which Wollie and her friends found themselves. In this regard it was incredibly like the Stephanie Plum series which is never a bad thing. Some lines were laugh out loud funny. The end was very compelling and I'm curious to know what happens next to Wollie.

Just realized I read this book 4 years ago! I thought I had read about Wollie somewhere! Just goes to show this book was not very memorable if the only thing I remembered about it was the characters first name!
  jules72653 | Nov 24, 2013 |
First of the Wollie Shelley series and very enjoyable with wacky characters who get involved in very serious trouble. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
The book could not keep my attention for more than a few moments at a time. The pace was frenetic, the characters inconsistent and what I understood of the plot was improbable. Miss Golly Wolley wants to own her own business on the one hand but does insane things like breaking into a hospital past midnight to leave her brother aluminum foil for no particularly good reason. Basically she is the kind of woman who walks down a dark alley in the middle of the night and then wonders how she could be so unlucky as to get attacked. Good golly Molly. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
This was trying I think for a chick lit feel, with a blend of mystery, humor, and romance told first person in a breezy voice. Wollie Shelley is the proprietor of a card shop and is part of the "Dating Project" requiring her to date 40 men in 60 days. Her life is complicated by her brother, who resides in a mental hospital. Given that the start to this novel reads like whacky, whimsical chick lit--which I wouldn't mind so much, if it had not veered into cheesy, off the rails romance aisle. In this novel, a man takes our heroine hostage and she's in love. The way she sees it, "the guy wasn't a kidnapper...for one thing, there were those dimples." Ooooh Kay. And soon I was out of there. Another Stephenie Plum wannabe that just didn't work for me. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Jan 14, 2011 |
Wollie is under some serious pressure. She is trying to keep her gift card store afloat, she’s in the midst of dating 40 men for research for a book by a famous love doctor, and now, she’s found a dead body.

A patient at the mental hospital where her brother is also staying is found shot to death and while Wollie tries to stay clear of the murder, she ends up getting into it deep.

Now an uber hottie, who may possibly be a convicted felon is trying to keep her safe as mafia men start following her, shooting at her and leaving her threatening messages.

Harley Jane Kozak, who may sound familiar because she is a famous actress, reminds me of Janet Evanovich. We all know that anything that reminds me of Janet is a plus in my book.

I picked this book up at a library sale, not really sure what I was getting myself into, but I am glad I picked it up. It was written well and it kept me reading. I didn’t catch on to who the bad guy was until he outed himself, which I love and hate at the same time. I love a book that makes me laugh, but I felt really bad for Wollie at times in the book. She just wanted to make cards and all this drama just keeps plopping into her lap.

The idea of the dating game was a good plot twist. When she was on dates, I had a hard time remembering that there were guys looking for her who could do some major damage. But, being the girly girl that I am, I kind of hated to go back to the murders and wanted more of the dating scene.

I give Dating Dead Men 4 bookmarks. There are a couple more in this series. If I run across them, I’ll grab them, but they’re not books that I’ll actively search for. ( )
  kariannalysis | Jun 30, 2010 |
To Greg Aldisert,
my last blind date.
It was a cigarette burn.

Los Angeles greeting-card artist Wollie Shelley is dating forty men in sixty days as research for a radio talk show host’s upcoming book, How to Avoid Getting Dumped All the Time. Wollie is meeting plenty of eligible bachelors but not falling in love, not until she stumbles over a dead body en route to Rio Pescado—a state-run mental hospital—and is momentarily taken hostage by a charismatic “doctor” who is on the run from the Mob. Wollie fears that her beloved brother, a paranoid schizophrenic living at Rio Pescado, is involved in the murder, so rather than go to the authorities, she decides to solve the crime on her own. As she meets up with an array of small-time crooks and swaggering mobsters only slightly more sinister than the men she’s been dating, Wollie realizes that “getting dumped” is the least of her problems. Finding true love, she discovers, sometimes means learning how to avoid getting killed . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:18 -0400)

Wollie Shelley, a greeting card artist and small business owner, is dating forty men in sixty days as a participant in a social science research project when she stumbles over a dead body. Wollie decides to investigate the murder because she is afraid her paranoid schizophrenic brother may be involved.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,720,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible