It's Raining Cupcakes by Lisa Schroeder

It's Raining Cupcakes (edition 2011)

by Lisa Schroeder (Author)

Member:p6rchk
Title:It's Raining Cupcakes
Authors:Lisa Schroeder (Author)
Info:Aladdin (2011), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages

It's Raining Cupcakes by Lisa Schroeder

Cute, short book about a mom and daughter who have very different interests. Isabel's mom loves baking and Isabel just wants to get out of her small town and see the world. Isabel's mom has good days and bad days, suffering from something that looks like bipolar disease. She gets big ideas and goes all out, but then gets nervous and wants to quit. Her latest venture is a cupcake business. She purchases a building and starts renovating, when true to form, her mom wants to bail. Meanwhile, Isabel has learned about a kids' baking competition. Winners will receive an all-expense paid trip to the bake-off in New York City. Isabel is determined to win, so she can get out of Willow, Oregon, even if just for a few days. Then she starts to wonder. Is she trying to get away from Willow or her mom?

Chapter titles are fun cake flavors. Two actual recipes are included at the end. Younger middle grade girls who have any interest in baking will enjoy this one. ( )
  valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
Cupcakes are beautiful and wonderful things. A story about cupcakes, well, that'll easily draw me in. But this isn't just a story about cupcakes - it's about individuality, fear of failure, and wanting more out of life.

Source

Isabel is a dreamer. She dreams of traveling the world like her flight attendant aunt, that her mom will stop jumping from idea to idea (she's currently on a mission to own a cupcake shop), and that she'll win a baking competition all on her own. Her mother is a dreamer too, hence jumping from idea to idea. She's so excited yet so fearful of her cupcake shop. Isabel and her dad are in charge of building her confidence up in an unspoken agreement because as soon as Isabel's mom gets even slightly discouraged - she gives up. And if she gives up on her cupcake shop then who knows where their family will be.

Source

Although food books are my jam, It's Raining Cupcakes was just okay. The ending felt abrupt and really now - how does no one come to the conclusion that the mom is obviously having mood swings so she might have a mental illness?

What I did enjoy were all those cupcake recipes, the imagery of the food, the best friend (even if she was away at camp most of the time), and Isabel. Isabel tried to branch out on her own by making a tart for the baking competition, but her mom thought cupcakes would get the shop some great advertising. They all always have to try to please the mom so this causes a dilemma for Isabel. She's a good mother otherwise. I do however strongly believe she's suffering from something. I just don't know what.

Source

If you like mom and daughter stories with some yummy dessert treats then It's Raining Cupcakes might fair better for you. It's a nice and fun read but, a bit young perhaps for my taste. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
3 stars. This is a quick read, and I felt a bit ambivalent about the way the mother's issue was solved, but overall I liked it.
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
Isabel is twelve years old and lives in Oregon with her parents. To make her mother (who has never been able to hold down a job) happy, the family buys an old laundromat and turns it into a cupcake shop....

In the midst of this Isabel enters a baking contest for kids 9-14 years old. Isabel's mother wants her to bake cupcakes, but after a neighbor comes back from England and brings Isabel a box of Jam tarts, Isabel decides to enter a recipe for Jam tarts....

Isabel's mother is manic depressive, and although a name for it is not given in the book...we see how Isabel copes with her mother and her mother's disease. Unlike Ceecee Honeycut's father (from the previous book I read), Isabel's father is there for the family and does his best to support his wife & Isabel.....

This book was light and easy to read, it also held my interest and wasn't too sad. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
12-year-old Isabel wants to travel. Yes, she wants to go to Paris and Australia, but anywhere outside of Willow, Oregon would be great! She journals about her dream daily and envies her best friend who goes away to summer camp and on vacations to the Grand Canyon. Now she has a chance – if she can come up with a winning recipe for a baking contest, she’ll get to go to New York. Meanwhile, Isabel helps her Mom and Dad as they prepare to open a new business – a cupcake shop!

This is a good middle-school book dealing with some bigger issues than cupcake recipes. Isabel struggles with her self-image and feelings of jealousy. Her mother struggles with depression, though this is never stated as such, and Isabel feels responsible for helping her mother feel better. I liked how Schroeder showed the family discussing issues and Isabel being sensitive to other people’s needs and feelings. Isabel and her family have to work hard to develop the plan for their cupcake store, and Isabel also has several “failures” before she comes up with the recipe she wants to enter into the contest. It’s a positive message about finding our strengths, working to develop them, and find solutions to problems that come our way.

What I didn’t like quite so much was the way Isabel’s mother’s depression was treated. I was bothered that Isabel took so much responsibility for helping her mother “feel better.” I realize this is a middle-grade book and not written for adults, but I didn’t like the message that Isabel could bring her mother out of her depression just by encouraging her to “not be afraid,” and giving her a few library books to read. No child should be responsible for curing such a serious illness.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

Twelve-year-old Isabel dreams of seeing the world but has never left Oregon, and so when her best friend, Sophie, tells her of a baking contest whose winners travel to New York City, she eagerly enters despite concerns about her mother, who is opening a cupcake bakery. Includes recipes.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,891,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible