Jamaica Inn / Rebecca / Frenchman's Creek /…

Jamaica Inn / Rebecca / Frenchman's Creek / My Cousin Rachel (1978)

by Daphne du Maurier

Other authors: Emma Chichester Clark (Illustrator)

Here I review JAMAICA INN, alone, and mark this book as read until I read the other novels in this book. Although I read REBECCA many years ago, I will have to reread it in order to review it.

After reading JAMAICA INN, I could confirm that my reading taste has changed over the years, but it also has remained the same. That is, the flowery (for lack of a better word) language that Daphne DuMaurier uses and the sexist remarks scattered here and there irritated me in 2016 while I accepted both when I read REBECCA in 1969. But, after a while, I just enjoyed the story and accepted it as it was written in the 1940s.

Mary, the main character of JAMAICA INN, has come to Jamaica Inn to live with her aunt and uncle after her mother's death. Her uncle turns out to be a horrible man who Mary comes to detest. Mary learns, usually through deliberate snooping but sometimes against her will, her uncle's business.

DuMaurier clearly intended to show that Mary is above the usual role cut out for the 19th century woman. Even so, in order to enjoy this novel, the reader still has to accept that it was written with 1940s sensibilities. ( )
  techeditor | Jan 23, 2016 |
Rebecca/Jamaica Inn/Frenchman's Creek/My Cousin Rachel all in one volume- I think my favorite was My Cousin Rachel. great suspense and perfect summer reading. ( )
  KatharineDB | Jul 19, 2011 |

Maurier, Daphne duAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clark, Emma ChichesterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again. (Rebecca)
It was a cold grey day in late November. (Jamaica Inn)
When the east wind blows up Helford River the shining waters become troubled and disturbed and the little waves beat angrily upon the sandy shores. (Frenchman's Creek)
They used to hang men at Four Turnings in the old days. (My Cousin Rachel)
Author is Daphne du Maurier

Omnibus edition comprised of four novels sharing a common background; Cornwall, England.

A Contents: Jamaica Inn', Rebecca', Frenchman's Creek', and, My cousin Rachel'.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,014,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible