Dogs Don't Tell Jokes by Louis Sachar

Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (original 1991; edition 2002)

by Louis Sachar

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Dogs Don't Tell Jokes
Authors:Louis Sachar
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2002), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Dogs Don't Tell Jokes by Louis Sachar (1991)

This book is about a boy that is named Gary Boon. His so called "friends" him Goon. This boy is a joker likes to make bad jokes and he laughs at everything. Even when someone hurts him emotionally or physically, he laughs to relieve the pain. At the end he enters a talent show and tells his best jokes at it with the perfect timing in pauses in between the punchline and the joke.

This book is perfect for people that want to feel bad for people. Even if the main character gets a good ending. I recommend this book to kids of all ages because: its funny, and it has a good story. Yet it is not a book that you would find in a "high class good books only" kind of Library. This book has no series.
  luisalucas101 | Mar 23, 2017 |
This book is hard to pin-point an age range for. The MC wants to be a comedian, and so constantly tells sort-of funny jokes in preparation for the school talent show. I'd give this to the 11-year-old I know who loves really bad jokes, but there is also mention (in a humorous way) of a woman's long-legged-ness, and jokes about envisioning people (including said beautiful woman - who's the boy's teacher) in the shower. Because of this, no 11 year old boy should read this. So where does that put it? I don't know, and all I can say is the jokes are pretty bad, with a few funny ones, Greg (the MC) is a kinda cliche outcast with a talent (for jokes, in this book), and the plot is practically non-existent. The big, horrible calamity they build up to is - no, I won't spoil it. But it's pretty anticlimactic. I don't know, I didn't really like it at all, but it's not one star. I think I'd give it one and a half, if Goodreads gave that option. The romance is clumsy, too. Forgot to mention that.
I'd say girls could read this at a younger age than boys, just because talking about women the way it is done in this book might be rather provocative in boys, but girls are more likely to roll their eyes and blush at this rather bad view of how this boy sees his female teacher. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
I remember reading this as a child, over and over. I found a copy in one of my boxes of junk, along with Holes and other school-day-era books. ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
Enjoyable, very quick read. The boys and I were laughing a lot. The story is especially appropriate right now because I have a son who wants to be the class clown and does not know when to hold back a joke. ( )
  learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
It took me a while to warm up to this one, and it can't compare to Holes, There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom, or Wayside School..., but the last fifty pages are quite good. ( )
  5hrdrive | Nov 15, 2008 |

Twelve-year-old jokester Gary Boone knows he was born to be a comedian, it's the kids in his class who think he's just a goon. Winning the school talent show would be Gary's dream come true, but on the big night his dream nearly backfires--with hilarious results.

An IRA/CBC Children's Choice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:32 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Gary, known as Goon because of his constant clowning and joke-telling, tries to change his image and make new friends at school.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,414,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible