Dolphins at Daybreak by Mary Pope Osborne

Dolphins at Daybreak (1997)

by Mary Pope Osborne

Recently added byPriyanjanaP, Sarah_P, nichole6, ladypembroke, private library, fumcod, Mrs.Hartmann, RWAMAGANA

I thought this was a great book. The first reason why I liked this book was because of the writing. Contained in the book were numerous instances of inner dialogue as well as dialogue between characters. An example of inner dialogue from the book was, “Having the same dream must mean something, he thought.” An example of dialogue between two characters was, “But dreams aren’t real,” said Jack. “Some dreams aren’t. But this one is,” said Annie. I liked how the author utilized both forms of dialogue in the book because it drew me into the various situations that occurred in the book, as well as made me easily understand the personalities of the characters. The second reason why I liked the book was because even though it was considered a chapter book, the book included illustrations. I liked this because it allowed me to see how the writing connected to the illustrations. I was able to see the characters’ emotions come alive through the illustrations. The main ideas from the book were cooperation and teamwork, habitats and ecosystems, and fish and marine life. ( )
  Germuth | Nov 15, 2014 |
The Magic Tree House series is a wonderful collection of books for young readers. I really enjoyed this book for so many reasons. The language was very descriptive, which contained several sensory details. Two examples of these types of details used in the book are “The sky was pale gray. The air felt freshly washed” and “A breeze blew through the window. Sea gulls cried. Waves lapped the shore.” Sensory details are extremely beneficial to a story because it keeps the reader interested. Also this allows the reader to picture in their minds what is occurring throughout the story. There is a large amount of dialogue provided that helps tell a story. The writing is organized into chapters. The chapters are arranged in sequential order of events happening to Annie and Jack. My favorite aspect of this story is the bond between the characters, Jack and Annie. They are both realistic and well-developed siblings, who take adventures to new places together. Jack is the restrained older brother who learns through books and writing down information. He always has a book, pencil, and notebook paper in his backpack ready to look up information and take down notes. Annie is the adventurous younger sister who learns through exploring. She is always willing to take the risks when exploring the different adventures with her older brother. Jack protects Annie and attempts to keep them both out of trouble in this adventure. I loved the black-and-white illustrations by Sal Murdocca because they are very detailed. Although this story is fictional, it still contains factual information about sea life. An example of this would be “The giant clam of the coral reef is three feet wide and weighs up to 200 pounds.” Therefore, when readers are exploring Jack and Annie’s adventure, they are also learning new information about marine animals and life in the ocean. The message that Jack and Annie learned is that dolphins are their heroes in this particular story. This is obvious when Annie says, “I guess they were the true pearl in the oyster.” The big idea is brothers and sisters can work together, solve problems together, and explore new places together. ( )
  kflach1 | Nov 9, 2014 |
The Magic Tree House series is wonderful and I really enjoyed this book in the series for so many reasons. The language was very descriptive and contained several sensory details. Two examples of sensory details used are “The sky was pale gray. The air felt freshly washed” and “A breeze blew through the window. Sea gulls cried. Waves lapped the shore.” Sensory details are beneficial to a story because it keeps the reader interested and allows them to picture in their minds what is occurring. There is a large amount of dialogue provided, which I believe helps tell a better story. The writing is well organized into paragraphs and chapters. The chapters are arranged in chronological order of events. My favorite aspects of this story are the characters. Jack and Annie are believable and well-developed siblings who adventure to exciting new places together. Jack is the precautious older brother who learns through books and writing down information. Annie is the adventurous and daring younger sister who learns through exploring. Jack protects Annie and attempts to keep them both out of trouble. I love sibling bond these two characters have with each other. The plot of this story is Jack and Annie must travel to the ocean and solve a riddle for Morgan le Fay. Suspense is created when an octopus grasps onto Jack and Annie’s mini-sub, when the ceiling of the mini-sub cracks and leaks, and when a hammerhead sharks follows the siblings through open water. Fortunately, two dolphins safely bring Jack and Annie back to land. I enjoyed the black-and-white illustrations because they were very detailed. Although this story is fictional, it still contains factual information about sea life, such as, “The giant clam of the coral reef is three feet wide and weighs up to 200 pounds.” Therefore, as readers are enjoying Jack and Annie’s adventure, they are also gaining knowledge on marine animals. The message that Jack and Annie learned is that dolphins are heroes, which is evident when Annie states, “I guess they were the true pearl in the oyster.” The big idea for readers is brothers and sisters can work together to solve problems and have adventures. ( )
  jgiann2 | Apr 21, 2014 |
"For Jack and Annie when the Magic Tree House whisks them off to the middle of the ocean. Luckily, they find a mini-submarine on a coral reef. Unluckily, they are about to meet a giant octopus and one very hungry shark. Will the dolphins save the day? Or are Jack and Annie doomed to be dinner?" - Amazon
  kristynzonsius | Dec 3, 2013 |
★★★★Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9) by Mary Pope Osborne

Dolphins at daybreak, is yet again another great addition to the magic tree house series. Jack and Annie set out to become Master Librians. To do this they must solve 4 riddles, and through under water exploration at the coral reef, they find their first answer. ( )
  Chantelle713 | Sep 25, 2013 |
For Mattie Stepanek
Jack stared out the kitchen window.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067988338X, Paperback)

Jack and Annie are ready for their next fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

IT'S SINK OR SWIM

for Jack and Annie when the Magic Tree House whisks them off to the middle of the ocean. Luckily, they find a mini-submarine on a coral reef. Unluckily, they are about to meet a giant octopus and one very hungry shark. Will the dolphins save the day? Or are Jack and Annie doomed to be dinner?

Visit the Magic Tree House website!
MagicTreeHouse.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

Their magic tree house takes Jack and Annie deep into the sea, where they meet up with dolphins, sharks, and octopi as they search for the answer to an ancient riddle.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,032,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible