Open House by Elizabeth Berg

Open House (edition 2000)

by Elizabeth Berg

Member:writestuff
Title:Open House
Authors:Elizabeth Berg
Info:Random House (2000), Paperback, 241 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Women's Fiction

Open House by Elizabeth Berg

This was a good, quick, brainless read for me. After reading Jane Eyre and a book on Buddhism this gave me something brainless. For about twenty four hours. I can't say there was anything I disliked about it, it's simply a little mainstream for me. There was nothing particularly special about it. Except for King. King is a great character and I wish the author had taken the time to more fully develop him. Give him more of a history, more strength. ( )
1 vote KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
What happens when your husband leaves and you have to make a living all on your own? It can happen...and sometimes it turns out better than imagined. ( )
1 vote Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
fine light book about a newly divorced mother of a young son putting her life back together by renting rooms in her house, getting a temp job, and getting to know who she really is. Perfectly acceptable distraction. Nothing superb
  mochap | Feb 13, 2014 |
Elizabeth Berg is one of my favorite authors due to her strong character development and compelling story lines. This book while not my favorite, is quite good. Samantha finds her long marriage coming to an end, and is struggling to come to terms with her husband's choice. Samantha sets out to begin a new life for both herself and her so. In the process she begins to rediscover herself. ( )
1 vote janiereader | Nov 8, 2012 |

Elizabeth Bergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, BeckyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jean-Isabel McNutt
You know before you know, of course. You are bending over the dryer, pulling out the still-warm sheets and the knowledge walks up your backbone. You star at the man you love and you are staring at nothing: he is gone before he is gone.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345435168, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, August 2000: The narrator of Elizabeth Berg's Open House calls divorce "a series of internal earthquakes ... one after the other." She ought to know. Samantha is abandoned by her husband in the opening pages of this three-handkerchief special, and the resultant tremors keep her off-balance for most of the novel. There are practical problems aplenty, of course, including a shortage of money and an 11-year-old son to raise. But Sam's sense of emotional bereavement is far worse, despite the fact that her husband had been giving her the conjugal cold shoulder for years:
I miss David so much, yes I do, I miss the presence of another person in my bed at night, even if he doesn't touch me; the reliability of someone else being there in the morning, even if they only shave and stare straight ahead into the mirror while you lean against the bathroom doorjamb with your cup of coffee, chatting hopefully.
The loneliness in her "as constant and as irrefutable" as circulating blood, Sam begins to rebuild her life. She finds herself a job and takes in a couple of boarders to help meet her mortgage payments. (One of them, a depressed student named Lavender Blue, informs her that "life was nothing but one major disappointment after the other"--the sort of homily that Sam is understandably reluctant to hear these days.) She also starts dating, with disastrous results. Yet this comically kvetching heroine does manage to find love in the ruins, and by the time Open House winds down, it's hard not to believe that she's much better off. Throughout, Berg alternates her snappy and sappy registers like a real pro. And the conclusion, which most readers will be able to spot a mile off, seems just right--the light at the end of the post-matrimonial tunnel. --Anita Urquhart

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:40 -0400)

Samantha's husband has left her, and, after a spree of overcharging at Tiffany's, she settles down to reconstruct a life for herself and her eleven-year-old son.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,033,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible