What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg

What We Keep (1998)

by Elizabeth Berg

Recently added bydanigoose1, private library, UICS, Tiffy83, bluet, mryan40, tennwisc, heidio, jennifersoule, Dmtcer

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
Well-written as usual, but I did not like the narrator Ginny at all. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
I'm reading the Elizabeth Berg books I've missed and they are all just plain treasures. I love the way she writes and I'm delighted that there is a new book. They are all different in their own special ways and I am just happy to have another Berg book ahead of me. I only have one or two of her older books to catch up on--how sad is that!!! ( )
1 vote nyiper | Mar 9, 2013 |
The story is told from the point of view of the daughter, who never forgave the mother who left the family. The mother, however, was stifled by the traditional role demanded of her and left in order to find herself. On the whole, it's a rather shallow handling of an important subject. ( )
  bookfest | Sep 7, 2012 |
BJ1,#83 ( )
  SoozyBee | Apr 4, 2012 |
An easy and enjoyable read about two sisters who visit their mother after not communicating with her for 30 years. Most of the novel is about the events that led to the decision by Gina and Sharla to reject their mother, who left them shortly after the arrival of a new female neighbour who they blame for their mother's departure. ( )
  CarterPJ | Dec 10, 2010 |
China Decorates our table Funny how the cracks don't Seem to show You're right next to me But I need an airplane I can feel the distance Getting close

-From "China" by Tori Amos
To women who risk telling the hard truths
Outside the airplance window the clouds are thick and rippled, unbroken as acres of land.

Ginny Young crosses the country for a reluctant reunion with the mother she has not seen in 35 years. During the long hours of her flight, she returns in memory to the summer when she turned 12 and her family turned inside out...

Do you ever really know your mother, your daughter, the people in your family? In this rich and rewarding new novel by the beloved bestselling author of
Talk Before Sleep and The Pull of the Moon, a reunion between two sisters and their mother reveals how the secrets and complexities of the past have shaped the lives of the women in a family.

Ginny Young is on a plane, en route to see her mother, whom she hasn't seen or spoken to for thirty-five years.   She thinks back to the summer of 1958, when she and her sister, Sharla, were young girls. At that time,a series of dramatic events--beginning with the arrival of a mysterious and sensual next-door neighbor--divided the family, separating the sisters from their mother.  Moving back and forth in time between the girl she once was and the woman she's become, Ginny at last confronts painful choices that occur in almost any woman's life, and learns surprising truths about the people she thought she knew best.

Emotional honesty and a true understanding of people and relationships are combined in this moving and deeply satisfying new book by the novelist who
"writes with humor and a big heart about resilience, love and hope. And the transcendence that redeems" (Andre Dubus).

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:35 -0400)

Estranged from her mother and her sister for thirty-five years after a series of dramatic events, Ginny Young arrives at a reunion that reveals the family she thought she knew.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible