What We Keep: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's…

What We Keep: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle) (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Elizabeth Berg

1,0201712,440 (3.74)7
Member:Deelightful
Title:What We Keep: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
Authors:Elizabeth Berg
Info:Ballantine Books (1999), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction

What We Keep by Elizabeth Berg (1998)

English (16)  German (1)  All languages (17)
This book was pretty good, but a little "fluffy". I was really into it when the mom started acting weird, but was kind of disappointed with how it turned out. I thought there would be something more surprising and/or shocking about her strange behavior. It was so sad to read; I felt so horrible for those girls. As a mother of two girls myself, I cannot even imagine doing that. I pretty much hated the mother character after she left, and felt no compassion for her when her girls didn't want to be with her. I don't think it is ever ok for a mother to leave her kids, no matter what the reason. That being said, I also feel like if she did decide to leave, she should have just left and been done with it. She made it ten times worse for her girls to move back and still try to be in their lives. How confusing for them! I understand that the mom wasn't happy. But I feel like she could have tried to fix that without just leaving. She could have talked to her husband and worked something out. She could have pursued being an artist without leaving her family. Anyway, it was just sad. And the whole Jasmine thing made it very confused too. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
Very quick read. Not my favorite Berg, but enjoyable. Interesting take on mother / daughter relationships and the price women may pay for wanting to live independently (from husbands, etc.). ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
47yo woman reminiscing about the summer when she was 12 and everything changed when her mother left ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
Well-written as usual, but I did not like the narrator Ginny at all. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
I'm reading the Elizabeth Berg books I've missed and they are all just plain treasures. I love the way she writes and I'm delighted that there is a new book. They are all different in their own special ways and I am just happy to have another Berg book ahead of me. I only have one or two of her older books to catch up on--how sad is that!!! ( )
1 vote nyiper | Mar 9, 2013 |
China Decorates our table Funny how the cracks don't Seem to show You're right next to me But I need an airplane I can feel the distance Getting close

-From "China" by Tori Amos
To women who risk telling the hard truths
Outside the airplance window the clouds are thick and rippled, unbroken as acres of land.

Ginny Young crosses the country for a reluctant reunion with the mother she has not seen in 35 years. During the long hours of her flight, she returns in memory to the summer when she turned 12 and her family turned inside out...

Do you ever really know your mother, your daughter, the people in your family? In this rich and rewarding new novel by the beloved bestselling author of
Talk Before Sleep and The Pull of the Moon, a reunion between two sisters and their mother reveals how the secrets and complexities of the past have shaped the lives of the women in a family.

Ginny Young is on a plane, en route to see her mother, whom she hasn't seen or spoken to for thirty-five years.   She thinks back to the summer of 1958, when she and her sister, Sharla, were young girls. At that time,a series of dramatic events--beginning with the arrival of a mysterious and sensual next-door neighbor--divided the family, separating the sisters from their mother.  Moving back and forth in time between the girl she once was and the woman she's become, Ginny at last confronts painful choices that occur in almost any woman's life, and learns surprising truths about the people she thought she knew best.

Emotional honesty and a true understanding of people and relationships are combined in this moving and deeply satisfying new book by the novelist who
"writes with humor and a big heart about resilience, love and hope. And the transcendence that redeems" (Andre Dubus).

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:44 -0400)

Estranged from her mother and her sister for thirty-five years after a series of dramatic events, Ginny Young arrives at a reunion that reveals the family she thought she knew.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,548,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible