Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth…

Dream When You're Feeling Blue

by Elizabeth Berg

Remembrance by Theresa Breslin (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Set in World War I, this is a similar story of girls on the homefront writing to their boyfriends, who are away at war. "Remembrance" is much stronger, and an amazing book.
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Though set in a different war, I kept noticing similarities between these two book's characters.

Interesting book with some good perspective on WWII and how children were "forced" to feel guilty about buying gum rather than war bonds, writing letters to soldiers each night, etc.

BUT--the ending was the WORST!!!!! Absolutely did not make sense at all and made you feel that Kitty really did make one too many sacrifices and was it worth it in the long run. ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Aug 16, 2014 |
This was a 3-4 star book until the last 5%. I was enjoying it. It was a pleasant read, it was a nice story, a little predictable, and then all the sudden the one sister's fiance is marrying the the other sister? there was a single line lead up. there was a lame wrap up. The ending was HORRIBLE! it was like someone said "no you can't go over 306 pages. that's it." 50 more pages would have given it some context, some idea how it happened. Instead it left me feeling annoyed that I could have been reading something else.
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
A delightful, easy read, touching and homey. I loved it, even though I wanted to shake Kitty once in a while. ( )
  TerriBooks | Sep 12, 2013 |
this filled the bill for some light summer entertainment, although I found the audio a bit whiny and phony at first, but then perhaps Kitty was just really that shallow. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
An endearing story about a Chicago family during WWII. It primarily follows three sisters. It gives very detailed information about the period and the reactions to the war from both home and abroad. Couldn't help but shed a tear at the end. ( )
  Marzia22 | Apr 3, 2013 |
For my father, Arthur P Hoff, who taught me the meaning of true courage and good character
It was Kitty's turn to sleep with her head at the foot of the bed.

New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Berg takes us to Chicago at the time of World War II in this wonderful story about three sisters, their lively Irish family, and the men they love.
As the novel opens, Kitty and Louise Heaney say good-bye to their boyfriends Julian and Michael, who are going to fight overseas. On the domestic front, meat is rationed, children participate in metal drives, and Tommy Dorsey and Glenn Miller play songs that offer hope and lift spirits. And now the Heaney sisters sit at their kitchen table every evening to write letters–Louise to her fiancé, Kitty to the man she wishes fervently would propose, and Tish to an ever-changing group of men she meets at USO dances. In the letters the sisters send and receive are intimate glimpses of life both on the battlefront and at home. For Kitty, a confident, headstrong young woman, the departure of her boyfriend and the lessons she learns about love, resilience, and war will bring a surprise and a secret, and will lead her to a radical action for those she loves. The lifelong consequences of the choices the Heaney sisters make are at the heart of this superb novel about the power of love and the enduring strength of family.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:21 -0400)

After sending their men off to fight in the war, sisters Kitty and Louise Heaney join their flirtatious younger sister, Tish, in writing letters to servicemen overseas, in a study of life during World War II from the perspective of the young men on the battlefield and the women left behind on the home front.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,155,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible