Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward

Dragon's Egg (original 1980; edition 1980)

by Robert L. Forward

9921912,910 (3.96)27
Member:mashiox
Title:Dragon's Egg
Authors:Robert L. Forward
Info:Ballantine Books (Mm) (1980), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 345 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward (1980)

Recently added byISCCSandy, private library, badube, jigarpatel, Eternytie, livus, RogueElf, FlatFeat, glennhayward
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

(Original Review, 1991)

I just got around to reading DRAGON'S EGG. It is probably one of the best hard science fiction novels I've ever read. I thought the human characterization was weak in places (not enough introspection, lack of diversity of characters), but clearly Bob knows about the scientific establishment! Actually, I thought that the alien characters were better drawn.

But there is a nit to pick, which I do not believe I have seem mentioned in SFL (*). With a very high Gauss field, not to mention the dense atmosphere, would not there be some strange optical effects? The atmosphere should make for strange refraction patterns, similar to those on Venus, where the horizon curves UP into the sky. And the high Gauss EM field should make optical effects dependent upon the direction you are observing them. If this is correct, then the optics practiced on the DRAGON'S EGG must be far more complicated than were presented in the book.

The only real mention I recall of strange optics were those at the poles, which were attributed to relativity. Are they the EM effects mentioned above? Or were they effects due to the high gravity (acceleration) at the surface? (I believe the distinction here is between the special and the general relativity effects).

Note to Dr. Forward: the book had to be special ordered... how many are out and why are they so scarce? Also, do you ever think a single book will win the Nobel, Pulitzer, Hugo, Nebula, and Moebius {?} prizes? Somehow, no matter how good a book it is would seem not to appeal to at least one of the judging groups! Also, how fast is long and short talk? Does the reference to acoustic waves mean "sound" speed? The speed of sound seems fantastically slow communication method to beings a million times faster than us.

The ending of DRAGON'S EGG in the original draft sent to Ballantine/Del Rey was a long, rambling discussion on the future of intelligent life. It was full of philosophy on robotics and the nature of intelligence, space, time, and the universe. It encompassed all of space and time and contained zero plot, characterization, and action. Fortunately Lester del Rey got to Bob Forward before the readers had this rambling letdown ending imposed upon them. HOWEVER, those masochists among you who would like to plow through 4000 words of the stuff (cut from 7000 words) can send me their NETMAIL address and sometime next week I will inflict a copy on you...I've got it on my BBS but it's still not publicly available.

I also note that there is a sequel to Hal Clement's "MISSION OF GRAVITY" called "STARLIGHT" which evidently has been out since '71, but which I just noticed. I enjoyed "MISSION", though I found "DRAGON'S EGG" a much more interesting discussion of much the same problems. A major difference between the two is that Clement assumes the Mesklinites run on real-time (e.g. "human" time), and the cheela run on mega-human time (1 million times faster). It Is interesting that Clement did think of this, as witnessed by his character remarking "We knew things would fall faster here, but we just assumed you (Mesklinites) would therefore have faster reaction times."

[2018 EDIT: This review was written at the time as I was running my own personal BBS server. Much of the language of this and other reviews written in 1980 reflect a very particular kind of language: what I call now in retrospect a “BBS language”.]

[2018 EDIT (*): "Science Fiction League" for those of you who have no idea what it means...] ( )
  antao | Oct 26, 2018 |
If you are obsessed with plot and character then you need to read this novel. It has neither and still works. In concept it is what is technically termed, I believe, 'far-out'.

It's quietly and calmly written which works well with the technological aspects, though if I'm honest, I don't understand the science and in place of 'magnetic monopoles' or whatever I just read 'flux capacitor' and 'inverted tachion field'.

The lack of characterisation is caused by the sheer amount of time that passes. A cheela can barely come on stage before they're dead and during the latter sections so little time passes for the humans that you only see them for a few seconds at a time. The cheela are wonderfully conceived and you really get a sense of how physically weird they are. Love the way that inside they're just like us and how the development of their civilisation mirrors and comments on our own.

Yes, a thoroughly enjoyable novel. I love the bit with the black holes at the end. It's complete in itself but there's also a sequel called Starquake.

It anyone's interested there's a very loose Star Trek Voyager adaptation called The Egg. ( )
1 vote Lukerik | Nov 17, 2015 |
I was amazed at how much my interest in this novel sped up as I read it. It starts slowly enough half a millions years ago and much of it takes place one day in the not too far future as a space expedition to visit a neutron star approaches within a manageable number of diameters of the solar system. Apparently this is a classic of hard science fiction and I can see why. Quite a number of characters appear and pass on limiting their time on the scene, but there are quite a few heroic and epic stories told. I was quite satisfied when I finished it in one day. I just did not want to put it down. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book very much. The opening bit of the Cheela's story is a tad slow and the ending, while providing perfect closer is also a tad hokey. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It reminded a great deal of The Listeners by James E. Gunn. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 2, 2014 |
Life on a neutron star, from a physicist. Who knew something so prosaic could be spellbinding? ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 27, 2013 |

Robert L. Forwardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034543529X, Paperback)

In a moving story of sacrifice and triumph, human scientists establish a relationship with intelligent lifeforms--the cheela--living on Dragon's Egg, a neutron star where one Earth hour is equivalent to hundreds of their years. The cheela culturally evolve from savagery to the discovery of science, and for a brief time, men are their diligent teachers . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:44 -0400)

"Forward's book is a knockout. In science fiction there is only a handful of books that stretch the mind--and this is one of them"--Arthur C. Clarke From the Paperback edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,101,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible