DRAGON'S EGG by Robert L. Forward

DRAGON'S EGG (original 1980; edition 1981)

by Robert L. Forward

Authors:Robert L. Forward
Info:Del Rey (1981), Paperback
Tags:fiction, science fiction

Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward (1980)

Recently added byWicker, jcds3365, Lukerik, kevbry, erlck, srkal, private library, perdalum, baubie, alpharia
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

If you are obsessed with plot and character then you need to read this novel. It has neither and still works. In concept it is what is technically termed, I believe, 'far-out'.

It's quietly and calmly written which works well with the technological aspects, though if I'm honest, I don't understand the science and in place of 'magnetic monopoles' or whatever I just read 'flux capacitor' and 'inverted tachion field'.

The lack of characterisation is caused by the sheer amount of time that passes. A cheela can barely come on stage before they're dead and during the latter sections so little time passes for the humans that you only see them for a few seconds at a time. The cheela are wonderfully conceived and you really get a sense of how physically weird they are. Love the way that inside they're just like us and how the development of their civilisation mirrors and comments on our own.

Yes, a thoroughly enjoyable novel. I love the bit with the black holes at the end. It's complete in itself but there's also a sequel called Starquake.

It anyone's interested there's a very loose Star Trek Voyager adaptation called The Egg. ( )
  Lukerik | Nov 17, 2015 |
I was amazed at how much my interest in this novel sped up as I read it. It starts slowly enough half a millions years ago and much of it takes place one day in the not too far future as a space expedition to visit a neutron star approaches within a manageable number of diameters of the solar system. Apparently this is a classic of hard science fiction and I can see why. Quite a number of characters appear and pass on limiting their time on the scene, but there are quite a few heroic and epic stories told. I was quite satisfied when I finished it in one day. I just did not want to put it down. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book very much. The opening bit of the Cheela's story is a tad slow and the ending, while providing perfect closer is also a tad hokey. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It reminded a great deal of The Listeners by James E. Gunn. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 2, 2014 |
Life on a neutron star, from a physicist. Who knew something so prosaic could be spellbinding? ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 27, 2013 |
A very interesting treatment of different time scales in our reactions with other intelligences. The Cheelas live 40 minutes per generation as they inhabit a neutron star. We help them move through their development but in the long run.... a good read in hard Sci-Fi. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 26, 2013 |

Robert L. Forwardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034543529X, Paperback)

In a moving story of sacrifice and triumph, human scientists establish a relationship with intelligent lifeforms--the cheela--living on Dragon's Egg, a neutron star where one Earth hour is equivalent to hundreds of their years. The cheela culturally evolve from savagery to the discovery of science, and for a brief time, men are their diligent teachers . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:44 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible