DRAGON'S EGG by Robert L. Forward

DRAGON'S EGG (original 1980; edition 1981)

by Robert L. Forward

Member:xenchu
Title:DRAGON'S EGG
Authors:Robert L. Forward
Info:Del Rey (1981), Paperback
Tags:fiction, science fiction

Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward (1980)

I enjoyed the book very much. The opening bit of the Cheela's story is a tad slow and the ending, while providing perfect closer is also a tad hokey. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It reminded a great deal of The Listeners by James E. Gunn. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 2, 2014 |
Life on a neutron star, from a physicist. Who knew something so prosaic could be spellbinding? ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 27, 2013 |
A very interesting treatment of different time scales in our reactions with other intelligences. The Cheelas live 40 minutes per generation as they inhabit a neutron star. We help them move through their development but in the long run.... a good read in hard Sci-Fi. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 26, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book immensely, having a great preference for hard sci fi, and this is the hardest of the hard, however, there was a feeling that the author's exposition of hard science often overwhelmed what was an exceptional story. While the aliens are more than adequately dealt with, the huiman characters never develop properly, and remain ciphers. That disappointment apart, this is a great piece of writing about a fantastic world and its truly alien inhabitatants. Any devotee of pure sf will love this one. ( )
  drmaf | Sep 16, 2013 |
Dragon's Egg is a weird mix of hard sci-fi and a goofy pseudo-alien civilization. A team of scientists from Earth investigate a neutron star and are very surprised to discover a thriving civilization where time passes a million times faster. Or, it should be more accurate to say, a race of extremely small and dense beings living under the extreme gravity and magnetic field of a neutron star eventually discover that their god is a human-manned spaceship, and that those humans (the "Slow Ones") live a million times slower than they do.

I say goofy because despite being absolutely nothing like humans physically, these aliens go through the same patterns of development, including a tribal stage, a Roman Empire-like with barbarians, a State religion and a Jesus, democracy, and so on. Forward has got the science part perfectly right, but his sociology is absurd to say the least. Maybe I've been spoiled by Ursula LeGuin, but I can't suspend disbelief about this, it is just too silly.

The last third of the book does not really redeem the rest, but it's a lot better, since Forward leaves his idea of social development behind and never really comes back to it, which is for the best.

The whole "humans find a planetoid where time passes a lot faster and see a whole civilization develop" has been done and done, and I was really hoping for something great, especially with the wonderful premise of life on a neutron star, the physics and biology of which is very well developed. But as much as I want to love this book, I can't. You can't drive a whole story purely with exacting science, as fascinating as it is. ( )
  FrancoisTremblay | Nov 16, 2012 |

Robert L. Forwardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034543529X, Paperback)

In a moving story of sacrifice and triumph, human scientists establish a relationship with intelligent lifeforms--the cheela--living on Dragon's Egg, a neutron star where one Earth hour is equivalent to hundreds of their years. The cheela culturally evolve from savagery to the discovery of science, and for a brief time, men are their diligent teachers . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:26 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,768,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible