DRAGON'S EGG by Robert L. Forward

DRAGON'S EGG (original 1980; edition 1981)

by Robert L. Forward

Authors:Robert L. Forward
Info:Del Rey (1981), Paperback
Tags:fiction, science fiction

Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward (1980)

Recently added byalpharia, tenaciousreader, bpagano, Ishimura, FLXobsv, rouzejp, addamour, private library, CosmicProgramBug, Lorem
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

I was amazed at how much my interest in this novel sped up as I read it. It starts slowly enough half a millions years ago and much of it takes place one day in the not too far future as a space expedition to visit a neutron star approaches within a manageable number of diameters of the solar system. Apparently this is a classic of hard science fiction and I can see why. Quite a number of characters appear and pass on limiting their time on the scene, but there are quite a few heroic and epic stories told. I was quite satisfied when I finished it in one day. I just did not want to put it down. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book very much. The opening bit of the Cheela's story is a tad slow and the ending, while providing perfect closer is also a tad hokey. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It reminded a great deal of The Listeners by James E. Gunn. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 2, 2014 |
Life on a neutron star, from a physicist. Who knew something so prosaic could be spellbinding? ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 27, 2013 |
A very interesting treatment of different time scales in our reactions with other intelligences. The Cheelas live 40 minutes per generation as they inhabit a neutron star. We help them move through their development but in the long run.... a good read in hard Sci-Fi. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 26, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book immensely, having a great preference for hard sci fi, and this is the hardest of the hard, however, there was a feeling that the author's exposition of hard science often overwhelmed what was an exceptional story. While the aliens are more than adequately dealt with, the huiman characters never develop properly, and remain ciphers. That disappointment apart, this is a great piece of writing about a fantastic world and its truly alien inhabitatants. Any devotee of pure sf will love this one. ( )
  drmaf | Sep 16, 2013 |

Robert L. Forwardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034543529X, Paperback)

In a moving story of sacrifice and triumph, human scientists establish a relationship with intelligent lifeforms--the cheela--living on Dragon's Egg, a neutron star where one Earth hour is equivalent to hundreds of their years. The cheela culturally evolve from savagery to the discovery of science, and for a brief time, men are their diligent teachers . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:44 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,815,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible