Dreaming of the Bones by Deborah Crombie

Dreaming of the Bones (original 1997; edition 1999)

by Deborah Crombie

6862013,895 (4.03)61
Member:flips
Title:Dreaming of the Bones
Authors:Deborah Crombie
Info:Pan Books (1999), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Murder Mystery/Thriller
Tags:Duncan Kincaid, Gemma James, serial, police, murder, mystery, England, British, novel, fiction

Dreaming of the Bones by Deborah Crombie (1997)

One of my favorite series is the one featuring Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James by Deborah Crombie as this author gets the mix of mystery and the on-going romance between the main characters just right. Dreaming of the Bones is the fifth book in the series, and we find Duncan and Gemma have settled into their working and romantic relationship.

When Duncan’s ex-wife calls from Cambridge and ask him to look into a past death that was labelled a suicide, Gemma is not best pleased, but when another death that is definitely murder occurs she is quick to join Duncan in his investigation.

This book will change the relationship between the two in a specific way and I am looking forward to seeing how they work things out in the future. I admire how this author realistically portrays her characters, they make adult decisions and are taking their relationship slowly as they learn to adjust to having a significant other in their lives after being let down in the past. Both a well done mystery and another step for this developing adult relationship, Dreaming of the Bones was a great addition to the series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 23, 2015 |
Deborah Crombie provides her fans a mystery that spans all the way back to WWI.

The intricate story tells of Lydia Brooke, a poet. When she was a student at Cambridge in the 1960s, she emulated her namesake, Edwardian poet, Rupert Brooke.

Lydia died five years prior to the events in this story. Her death was attributed to suicide.

Dr. Vic McClellan, Duncan Kincaid's former wife, calls him out of the blue and asks for his help. Duncan and his lover, Gemma Jones, have a comfortable life together. Duncan is a police superintendent at Scotland Yard and Gemma is a police sergeant there.

Gemma is a bit uncomfortable with Duncan seeing his former wife but doesn't say anything. While Duncan hadn't heard from Vic since she walked out on him twelve years ago, he agrees to help.

When he does, the fun begins. The complexity winds up and the literary characters jump out of the page.

Vic is doing a biography on Lydia and something about her death doesn't seem right. She wants Duncan to look at the case.

Although it's not in Duncan's district and he takes vacation to investigate, the facts begin to unravel
There is a major surprise and a guest of characters who might be guilty of murder. Alfred Hitchcock would be watering at the mouth thinking about directing this novel as a movie.

We visit the historical times back to WWI when Rupert Brooke died in 1915. Crumbie tells us that Brooke never saw action during the war. He died of blood poisoning at Division Field Day and when Churchill and other officials read his sonnets about the war, they thought he'd make a good martyr.

There is good insight into the character of Lydia through the newsy letters she writes to her mother.

Overall, interesting, an excellent police procedural and as Duncan and Emma examine the suspects, it is a story that captivates the reader. ( )
  mikedraper | Apr 20, 2015 |
This is the fourth book in the Deborah Crombie series about Duncan Kincaid, an upper-class Scotland Yard superintendent, and Sergeant Gemma James, his partner and lover. The fact that I have not read the others in this series did not prevent me from enjoying this book. In this fourth book Vic McClellan, Duncan's ex-wife and a member of the English faculty at Cambridge, is writing a biography of Lydia Brooke, a Cambridge poet whose death five years earlier was attributed to suicide. Convinced that Lydia didn't kill herself, Vic asks Duncan to look into the poet's death. Duncan is reluctant, because of his personal feelings for Vic—she left their marriage 12 years earlier. But based on her evidence he is convinced that there may be some questions about the death. Soon he is even more certain when Vic is murdered. Assisted by Gemma, he sets out to find the killer. I found this book to be fast paced, well written (not always the case with mysteries), with a number of twists and turns. I also enjoyed the developing relationship between Duncan and Gemma, particularly as it is effected by Duncan’s feelings for his ex-wife. This is a series I plan on continuing to read. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Feb 16, 2015 |
I love this series, but found this book to be my least favorite of the ones I've read so far. The intertwining of all the literary allusions, and the need to consult literature to solve this one was a bit of a stretch. Still, I enjoyed getting some backfill on Kinkaid's previous marriage, and his relationship to the young boy Kit.

It's definitely worth reading in sequence, but only as a placeholder to get to the next one ( )
1 vote tututhefirst | Sep 1, 2014 |
I had a rough start with this book--there were so many characters, but once I got them all sorted it was enjoyable. ( )
1 vote carlyrose | May 1, 2013 |
There are four ways to write a woman's life:
the woman herself may tell it,
in what she chooses to call an autobiography;
she may tell it in what she chooses to call fiction;
a biographer, woman or man,
may write the woman's life
in what is called a biography;
or the woman may write her own life,
in advance of living it, unconsciously,
and without recognizing or naming the process.

CAROLYN HEILBURN,
from Writing a Woman's Life
This book is for Terry,
with gratitude for her voice,
among many other things.
The post slid through the letter box, cascading onto the tile floor of the entry hall with a sound like the wind rustling through bamboo.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061150401, Mass Market Paperback)

"Deborah Crombie might be the most British of American mystery novelists," said an astute reviewer in reference to Mourn Not Your Dead, the fourth book in her excellent series about Duncan Kincaid, an inoffensively upper-class Scotland Yard superintendent, and Sergeant Gemma James, his rougher-edged partner and lover. In addition to her finely tuned ear for the subtler nuances of Britspeak, Crombie--a resident of Richardson, Texas--achieves a rare and therefore enviable balance between the details of her characters' private lives and the plot of each particular book. That delicate balance is especially welcome in Dreaming of the Bones, when Kincaid's former wife, Dr. Victoria McClellan, threatens his personal and professional equanimity. A Cambridge don, Vic has been writing a biography of poet Lydia Brooke, who claimed kinship to the distinguished World War I bard Rupert Brooke, and whose suicide five years before is now beginning to appear suspiciously like murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:32 -0400)

The Scotland Yard duo of Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James, who are investigating the murder of a woman poet, discover a clue in her poetry. A look at a Cambridge literary set. By the author of Mourn Not Your Dead.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,091,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible