Dreaming of the Bones by Deborah Crombie

Dreaming of the Bones (original 1997; edition 1999)

by Deborah Crombie

Member:flips
Title:Dreaming of the Bones
Authors:Deborah Crombie
Info:Pan Books (1999), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Murder Mystery/Thriller
Tags:Duncan Kincaid, Gemma James, serial, police, murder, mystery, England, British, novel, fiction

Dreaming of the Bones by Deborah Crombie (1997)

I love this series, but found this book to be my least favorite of the ones I've read so far. The intertwining of all the literary allusions, and the need to consult literature to solve this one was a bit of a stretch. Still, I enjoyed getting some backfill on Kinkaid's previous marriage, and his relationship to the young boy Kit.

It's definitely worth reading in sequence, but only as a placeholder to get to the next one ( )
  tututhefirst | Sep 1, 2014 |
I had a rough start with this book--there were so many characters, but once I got them all sorted it was enjoyable. ( )
  carlyrose | May 1, 2013 |
One of this author's earlier books that I had not read. Very much worth the read, this is an especially good book. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James face new challenges as they must solve a literary mystery involving Duncan's ex-wife. This is one of the best of the series and also a stellar example of the literary mystery (by which I mean, a mystery involving literature). Highly recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
This is the fifth book in Crombie's Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series, and it is the best one so far. Finally Ms. Crombie gets the right combination of lovely writing, interesting characters, and intriguing mystery. In this one Kincaid is asked by his ex-wife Victoria to look into the closed suicide case of a poet that she is researching for a biography. Lydia Brooke has been dead for years, but Victoria thinks there is something suspicious about her apparent suicide, and grudgingly Kincaid agrees to look into it. What is so well done here is the bridging of a past mystery with a present one. I loved the merging story lines and the glimpses that we got into Lydia's thoughts through her old letters. I also greatly enjoyed the bits and pieces of Rupert Brooke poems that we were treated to at the beginning of each chapter - relevant not just because Lydia was slightly obsessed with him, but also because they are well chosen and speak to what the chapter is about. The mystery itself is interesting and believable, but what has kept me reading these books has been the characters. Do not start with this one if you have not read the others - the character development in these stories is important, and if you start in the middle, you will miss out, and quite possibly feel detached from the main players in the story. This is one set of mysteries where you want to begin at the beginning - the first few books are not nearly as good as this one, but to enjoy this one I am convinced that you need to read the others. Luckily, each book is better than the one before it, and this one is superb. ( )
1 vote Crazymamie | Jan 4, 2013 |
The post slid through the letter box, cascading onto the tile floor of the entry hall with a sound like the wind rustling through bamboo.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061150401, Mass Market Paperback)

"Deborah Crombie might be the most British of American mystery novelists," said an astute reviewer in reference to Mourn Not Your Dead, the fourth book in her excellent series about Duncan Kincaid, an inoffensively upper-class Scotland Yard superintendent, and Sergeant Gemma James, his rougher-edged partner and lover. In addition to her finely tuned ear for the subtler nuances of Britspeak, Crombie--a resident of Richardson, Texas--achieves a rare and therefore enviable balance between the details of her characters' private lives and the plot of each particular book. That delicate balance is especially welcome in Dreaming of the Bones, when Kincaid's former wife, Dr. Victoria McClellan, threatens his personal and professional equanimity. A Cambridge don, Vic has been writing a biography of poet Lydia Brooke, who claimed kinship to the distinguished World War I bard Rupert Brooke, and whose suicide five years before is now beginning to appear suspiciously like murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:05 -0400)

The Scotland Yard duo of Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James, who are investigating the murder of a woman poet, discover a clue in her poetry. A look at a Cambridge literary set. By the author of Mourn Not Your Dead.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,775,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible