Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The King and Dr. Nick: What Really Happened…

The King and Dr. Nick: What Really Happened to Elvis and Me

by George Nichopoulos

192791,552 (3.5)2

Huge Elvis fan here, so like the rest I wanted a clear understanding of how he died. Who better to tell us the story than his family doctor. There was some controversy when Elvis died, surrounding Dr. Nick (as they called him), though he was found to be uninvolved in Elvis's death.
I thought this was a great translation of events. I believe Dr. Nick had no control over everything Elvis did. Who could control someone like him?
This book really challenged everything I thought I knew. When you hear the perspective from one of the closest people to him at that time, it's hard not to listen.
A really great book, for anyone who's curious. Definitely one for the Elvis fans out there!!! I recommend to those interested in the topic. I don't feel it will be for everyone. ( )
  fredamans | Feb 1, 2010 |
This book is written by the man who was the main personal physician for Elvis the last 10 years of his life. He provides details of the day Elvis died, describes what daily life was like for Elvis as he performed, and the publicity and legal issues that came up after his death.He does this with very little bashing, and a lot of respect for most of the people he interacted with. He also has a love of Elvis.

I may be too young for this book. I was 8 years old when Elvis died. My father shared his love of the man and his music, which I still have to this day. But there was never really discussion of any of the rumors or recurring publicity around his death and the possible use of drugs. That means the main premise of this book, to defend the legacy of Elvis, was not necessary for me. It is an interesting view of how hard Elvis worked, how seriously he took his performances, and some of the physical struggles he had.

It also provides a look at the frustrating machinations of the media and the side-affects of political maneuvering. None of that has changed for the better.
***********
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
  lauranav | Jan 27, 2010 |

For the first time, Nichopoulos reveals the true story behind Elvis's drug use and final days--not the version formed by years of tabloid journalism and gross speculation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,500,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible