The Last Time I Saw You: A Novel by…

The Last Time I Saw You: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Elizabeth Berg

Member:kjchenicek
Title:The Last Time I Saw You: A Novel
Authors:Elizabeth Berg
Info:Random House (2010), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:**

The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg

Recently added byrena75, Sbojo32, CYGeeker, lyndavaughan

2.5 I'm a Berg fan but this was a disappointment. The character's actions and dialogue were juvenile and didn't ring true. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg
Audio narrated by the author

Realistic and sometimes sentimental portrait of a group of adults returning to their hometown for their 40th--and last--class reunion. Interesting and insightful look at how we tend to revert back to who we were "back then" when we regroup with old friends, and how no matter our age, we can still easily relate to our inner teenager with our different struggles, insecurities, humiliations, disappointments, dreams, and moments of success.

I really liked this story and the reminder that we all have our challenges to face--even those who seemingly have always had it all. The class beauty may have always felt lonely; the football star has always been successful with the ladies but struggles with finding true connections with people and finds out too late when he loses what is most important to him; and the reminder that as we age, there is the great equalizer of battling health crises. Those who were considered outcasts seem to end up the happiest because they have learned how to appreciate the simple things, focus on what is really important to them, and let the rest go. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | May 23, 2016 |
A fortieth high school reunion affords classmates the opportunity to re-evaluate their lives. Classmates approach the weekend with excitement, enthusiasm and trepidation.

Newly divorced; widowed; the popular girl - just diagnosed with ovarian cancer; the nerd summoning up the courage to talk to the unattainable girl; the cheerleader wondering whether she has anything to offer - it's a pretty routine cast of characters and a pretty formulaic beach book - but Elizabeth Berg writes well. I was interested right to the end. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Dec 12, 2015 |
The setting … a fortieth high school reunion. The characters … everyone who had something left unsaid or undone in high school. The story … the exploration of roads taken or not, opportunities missed and finding out that life is not so bad after all.

As much as I was hoping to enjoy this book, I finished it only because I started it.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
could not put it down! story of a group of people who are attending their 40th and last high school reunion. info on each of several people and their imperfect lives leading up to it and the culmination at the end. v good. ( )
  lhaines56 | Jun 8, 2015 |
High school, those are your prime suffering years.
You don't get better suffering than that.
~UNCLE FRANK (Steve Carrell), Little Miss Sunshine
Every parting gives a foretaste of death
as every reunion a hint of the resurrection.
~ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER
Maybe one day I can have a reunion with myself.
~SEBASTIAN BACH
For Phyllis Florin
and
Marianne Quasha
Dorothy Shauman Ledbetter Shauman is standing in front of the bathroom mirror in her black half-slip and black push-up bra, auditioning a look. Her fortieth high school reunion, the last one, is one week away, and she’s trying to decide whether or not to draw a beauty mark above her lip for the occasion. It wouldn’t be entirely false; she does have a mole there, but it’s faint, hard to see. She just wants to enhance what already exists, nothing wrong with that; it’s de rigueur if you’re a woman, and it’s becoming more common in men, too. Wrong as that is. Dorothy would never have anything to do with a man who wore makeup or dyed his hair or carried a purse or wore support hose or cried or did any of those womanly things men are appropriating as though it’s their god-given right. No. She prefers an all-American, red-blooded male who is not a jerk. They’re hard to find, but she holds out hope that she will have some sort of meaningful relationship with one before she’s six feet under.

To each of the men and women in "The last time I saw you", this reunion means something different. A last opportunity to say something long left unsaid, an escape from the bleaker realities of everyday life, a means to save a marriage on the rocks, or an opportunity to bond with a slightly estranged daughter, if only over what her mother should wear.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,999,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible