Fables by Arnold Lobel

Fables (original 1980; edition 1983)

by Arnold Lobel, Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)

Member:ArielDean
Title:Fables
Authors:Arnold Lobel
Other authors:Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1983), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:grade 3-6 Easy

Fables by Arnold Lobel (1980)

More lessons a la' Aesop - but some are also quite funny. Some aren't advice I would take - but then again the moral of one is "Advice from friends is like the weather. Some of it is good; some of it is bad." If you've ever felt as if you want to be friends with Frog and Toad and their creator, read this book. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I'm a big fan of short stories with aspects of wonder and magic, so I found this book to be a great read with great variety. For each of the twenty fables, the author's text occupies one page and beautiful illustration on the facing page. The author is also mindful to give a moral to each story. While the moral is genuine and hits home for many readers, the tone of the fables is cheerful and playful rather than moralistic. This aspect of the stories illuminates the minds of young readers especially while also incorporating important life lessons they should take into consideration as well. ( )
  ajohns75 | Mar 26, 2015 |
Fables by Arnold Lobel

Summary: Fables is a collection of very short stories that all have a moral at the end to teach children a good lesson to learn. There is one about two ducks who follow the same path every day and meet a mean fox, which advises a change of paths can sometimes be a good thing. There is another about a crocodile who will not leave his bedroom because the wallpaper’s orderliness (the flowers being in a straight line with perfect order) comforts him, and the outside garden is too much of a mess, that advises that too much order is not always a good thing.

Personal Reaction: I found this to be a fun read. The short stories allow you to be able to read to a child with a very short attention span, and can maybe even help them learn a lesson. The pictures go along with the stories, most do not add anything new, but are still fun to look at.

Extension Ideas:
1. Discuss the morals with the children after reading the stories. Try to see if they can think of any examples where that lesson might be a good one to learn, or tell them some yourself.
2. Take ideas from the different stories and make crafts, like jewels for the King Lion, or flowers for the crocodile.
  yelhsajoh | Feb 11, 2015 |
Fables by Arnold Lobel is a book I feel indifferent about. This book is a bunch of short stories compiled together with what seems to be advice quotes following each story. I felt indifferent about this book because of it range of stories and ideas. Some of the stories were happy and normal and some were just downright strange. I couldn't tell if these stories had an agenda or were meant to be funny. The story The Cat and the Visions is about a cat fishing for and envisioning a large fish to eat. As time goes on he keeps envisioning a smaller and smaller fish since it seems unlikely that he’ll catch a big one. But in the end, he catches a big fish because he never gives up. This story had a happy ending and seemed to teach patience. But in contrast you have the story The Baboons Umbrella. It is just a weird story with no meaning. In this story the baboon wants to have sunlight come through the umbrella he’s carrying because it is stuck open. Instead of just putting the umbrella down or not carrying it he decides to cut large holes in it. Well of course, shortly after he does this it begins to rain and he gets soaked. The one thing I did like about this book were the small advice quotes after every story. Even though most didn't make sense I enjoyed the concept of leaving the reader with a thought. I liked the ones such as “At times, a change of routine can be most helpful”, “Even the taking of small risks will add excitement to life” and “A child’s conduct will reflect the ways of his parents.” But then you get some off the wall ones like “All’s well that ends with a good meal.” And the one that followed a story about a pig on a diet going to the candy store to find it closed, “A locked door is very likely to discourage temptation.” They just didn't make sense. I feel like the big idea in this book is entertainment. Having the collection of different short stories doesn't allow for an overall theme. And the quirkiness of the stories also make me feel like there is no deeper meaning involved. ( )
  EmmaBrockwell | Oct 11, 2014 |
really enjoyable short fables. So many and so creative. ( )
  MiguelPut | Aug 4, 2014 |
A crocodile became increasingly fond of the wallpaper in his bedroom.
I have made my decision...I have never seen the ocean, and it is high time that I did. Nothing can make me change my mind.

'Short, original fables with fresh, unexpected morals poke subtle fun at human foibles through the antics of animals. . . . The droll illustrations, with tones blended to luminescent shading, are complete and humorous themselves.' -- Association of Library Service to Children, ALA.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

Twenty original fables about an array of animal characters from crocodile to ostrich.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,072,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible