Fables by Arnold Lobel

Fables (original 1980; edition 1983)

by Arnold Lobel, Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)

1,318None5,892 (3.97)20
Member:ArielDean
Title:Fables
Authors:Arnold Lobel
Other authors:Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1983), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:grade 3-6 Easy

Fables by Arnold Lobel (1980)

This has twenty orginial fables about an array of animal characters, from the crocodile to the ostrich, and the lessons and morals they learn through their thoughts, actions, and words. I would use this with all grades because it is important to learn life lessons and apply to daily life in and out of school.
  rekrumrie | Dec 10, 2013 |
This book was pretty interesting. I really enjoyed the pictures and I like how after each fable, there is a lesson to the story and it tells you the lesson at the bottom. ( )
  lnmeadows | Oct 9, 2013 |
Lobel, Arnold. Fables. New York: HarperCollins Children’s Books, 1980

Title of Fable: The Hen and the Apple Tree

Characters: Hen and Wolf

Setting: Hen’s house

Theme: fable, life lessons, trickster tale

Genre: Traditional Literature, Children’s fiction

Golden Quote: “It is always difficult to pose as something that one is not.”

Summary: Twenty original fables about an array of animal characters from crocodile to ostrich.

Audience: Children 3 years of age and up

Curriculum ties: discuss morality and cautionary tales; characteristics of trickster tales; compare and contrast this trickster tales with others

Awards: Caldecott Medal Winner, 1980

Personal response: I remember reading Lobel’s fable book when I was a child and I thoroughly enjoyed it just as much then as I do today. I chose the fable entitled “The Hen and the Apple Tree” to go along with motif of trickster tales, but also because it is quite a hysterical fable. The Wolf thinks that The Hen can’t figure out that he is disguised as an apple tree to try and eat her, but The Hen is not as dumb as he thinks she is which makes his intelligence rather questionable. In this trickster tale, the one doing the tricking does not get away with it! Another aspect I like about Lobel’s Fables is remains true to the traditional versions (in both text and illustrations) and accompanies each tale with the moral of the story the end. ( )
  Angie.Patterson | Mar 1, 2013 |
I liked this book because it has a quote after each short story.

The Ducks and the Fox - two ducks take a stroll to the pond along the same route and the fox finds out. one duck wants to change but the other duck is comfortable. the fox is waiting for them then tries to grab them in his sack. They flew away but was sure to find another way next time. The quote is saying sometimes change is good.

King Lion and the Beetle - King Lion was very self aware and went to walk around with his robe, crown and jewelry. Everybody bowed and he tried to get close to the beetle to see if it was bowing as well. He bent down too hard and the heavy objects made him fall over into a mud pile. The quote is saying the higher you are in yourself then the longer distance you have to fall.

The Lobster and the Crab - Lobster and Crab went on a boat even though the waters were fierce. Crab was scared the boat was sinking but Lobster was enjoying it. Once they got to the ocean floor, Crab finally saw the beauty surrounding him. The quote is saying taking risks can bring excitement.

The Baboon's Umbrella - Baboon umbrella's was stuck open so he could not enjoy the sunshine. His friend told him cute holes in it and he could then feel the sun. Baboon did, and he was happy, but then the sun went around and it started raining. Baboon was now soaked. The quote is saying that you can't take advice from everybody.

The Camel Dances - Camel wants to be a ballerina so she practices long and hard. She performed for an audience but they did not think she did or looked good. This did not discourage Camel because she knew she did good and danced for herself. The quote is saying happiness comes from within not from the acceptance of others.

The Mouse at the Seashore - Mouse sets out on a journey to see the ocean. His parents know they cannot stop him but tell him to be careful He is attacked by cats, birds and dogs. When he finally gets to the shore, he is bloodied and bruised but also he is mesmerized by the sight. The quote is saying the road may be long and hard but the end is worth it all. ( )
  ArielDean | Jan 24, 2013 |
Fables is a cute book to teach valuable life lessons. The illustrations are amazing and go perfectly with each little story. My favorite lesson had to be that of the fox and the two ducks. It reminds us that changing our ways can indeed be a good thing. This is something the ducks learn when the fox attacks them after taking the same way to their pond everyday. ( )
  smvega | Sep 6, 2012 |
A crocodile became increasingly fond of the wallpaper in his bedroom.
I have made my decision...I have never seen the ocean, and it is high time that I did. Nothing can make me change my mind.

'Short, original fables with fresh, unexpected morals poke subtle fun at human foibles through the antics of animals. . . . The droll illustrations, with tones blended to luminescent shading, are complete and humorous themselves.' -- Association of Library Service to Children, ALA.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:01 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible