Fables by Arnold Lobel

Fables (original 1980; edition 1983)

by Arnold Lobel, Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)

Member:ArielDean
Title:Fables
Authors:Arnold Lobel
Other authors:Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1983), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:grade 3-6 Easy

Fables by Arnold Lobel (1980)

Fables by Arnold Lobel is a book I feel indifferent about. This book is a bunch of short stories compiled together with what seems to be advice quotes following each story. I felt indifferent about this book because of it range of stories and ideas. Some of the stories were happy and normal and some were just downright strange. I couldn't tell if these stories had an agenda or were meant to be funny. The story The Cat and the Visions is about a cat fishing for and envisioning a large fish to eat. As time goes on he keeps envisioning a smaller and smaller fish since it seems unlikely that he’ll catch a big one. But in the end, he catches a big fish because he never gives up. This story had a happy ending and seemed to teach patience. But in contrast you have the story The Baboons Umbrella. It is just a weird story with no meaning. In this story the baboon wants to have sunlight come through the umbrella he’s carrying because it is stuck open. Instead of just putting the umbrella down or not carrying it he decides to cut large holes in it. Well of course, shortly after he does this it begins to rain and he gets soaked. The one thing I did like about this book were the small advice quotes after every story. Even though most didn't make sense I enjoyed the concept of leaving the reader with a thought. I liked the ones such as “At times, a change of routine can be most helpful”, “Even the taking of small risks will add excitement to life” and “A child’s conduct will reflect the ways of his parents.” But then you get some off the wall ones like “All’s well that ends with a good meal.” And the one that followed a story about a pig on a diet going to the candy store to find it closed, “A locked door is very likely to discourage temptation.” They just didn't make sense. I feel like the big idea in this book is entertainment. Having the collection of different short stories doesn't allow for an overall theme. And the quirkiness of the stories also make me feel like there is no deeper meaning involved. ( )
  EmmaBrockwell | Oct 11, 2014 |
really enjoyable short fables. So many and so creative. ( )
  MiguelPut | Aug 4, 2014 |
Fables is a collection of short stories that teach a lesson. The stories are entertaining and easy to read, but make an obvious point to teach a lesson.
I found the stories very interesting, they are quick reads and very easy to understand what is the meaning behind the story.
These stories could easily be used as examples to inspire children to create their own stories and/or morals. This could also be used to open conversation about morals. ( )
  Dyne001 | Jul 7, 2014 |
This book has charming traditional stories presented in one page sections. The illustrations are often laugh provoking and definitely add meaning to some new vocabulary introduced.
  BrandiMichelle | Jun 9, 2014 |
This has twenty orginial fables about an array of animal characters, from the crocodile to the ostrich, and the lessons and morals they learn through their thoughts, actions, and words. I would use this with all grades because it is important to learn life lessons and apply to daily life in and out of school.
  rekrumrie | Dec 10, 2013 |
A crocodile became increasingly fond of the wallpaper in his bedroom.
I have made my decision...I have never seen the ocean, and it is high time that I did. Nothing can make me change my mind.

'Short, original fables with fresh, unexpected morals poke subtle fun at human foibles through the antics of animals. . . . The droll illustrations, with tones blended to luminescent shading, are complete and humorous themselves.' -- Association of Library Service to Children, ALA.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:01 -0400)

Twenty original fables about an array of animal characters from crocodile to ostrich.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,987,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible