The Zahir: A Novel of Love, Longing and…

The Zahir: A Novel of Love, Longing and Obsession (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Paulo Coelho

Member:rightantler
Title:The Zahir: A Novel of Love, Longing and Obsession
Authors:Paulo Coelho
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Tags:Y05, philosophy, fiction

The Zahir by Paulo Coelho (2005)

English (40)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Estonian (1)  All (1)  All (51)
This book holds the Guiness record for 'most translated book (65 languages) by a living author'. After reading this, my reaction was like 'Really? :-O' Honestly, I started liking it initially. It contains some philosophical thoughts and the whole plot of the story revolves around the saying 'If you truly wish something, the whole universe conspires in favor of you to achieve it'. Then gradually it became a cheesy love story. Out of nowhere this girl 'Fatima' appeared and gave the purest of love to the protagonist 'the boy' (No wonder! He's the protagonist :-P). I think Paulo Coelho tried to say how important it is to pursue one's dreams, to make them happen and why one shouldn't ignore his/her 'heart's call'. For some people this certainly is a very inspiring novel. For me, Coelho destroyed a promising beginning entirely. Wasted my time, totally! ( )
  Shaker07 | May 18, 2017 |
I believe the quotations below will be sufficient to show how likeable and interesting is this book:

“When someone leaves, its because someone else is about to arrive- I'll find love again.”

“We don't always choose the best solution but we carry on regardless, trying to remain upright and decent in order to do honor not to the walls or the doors or the windows but to the empty space inside, the space where we worship and venerate what is dearest and most important to us.”

“absolute freedom doesn't exist, what does exist is the freedom to choose anything you like and then commit yourself that decision”

“We must at all costs avoid saying no because people prefer those who say yes, and this allows us to survive in hostile territory.”

“The comodado or giving-up point: there is always an event in our lives that is responsible for us failing to progress: a trauma, a particularly bitter defeat, a disappointment in love, even a victory that we did not quite understand, can make cowards of us and prevent us from moving on. As part of the process of increasing his hidden powers, the shaman must first free himself from that giving-up point and, to do so, he must review his while life and find out where it occurred.”

“What we need to learn is always there before us, we just have to look around us with respect and attention in order to discover where God is leading us and which step we should take next.” ( )
  Angela16 | Mar 20, 2017 |
Some time ago, I came across this post in the Elephant Journal. Judging from what Tammy Stone wrote, the book was apparently very good and 'woke her up'. I had been meaning to read Paulo Coelho's works for the longest time as well, but I didn't know which book to start on. And since I had been going through some stuff when I came across that article, I decided that that was the first Paulo Coelho book that I was going to read.
Ater asking opinions from friends about the book, they were a bit apprehensive. One of my friends suggested that it may not be everyone's cup of tea, and that I should consider buying a pre-loved version. I did, and then I came on Goodreads to read other people's review and found that the majority hadn't liked it. Good thing I bought a pre-loved one instead then.
I thought it was okay though. It's not exactly the most interesting of books I've read, but it did come with a few good lessons. It was quite an easy read; and I don't mean that as in it was interesting, rather, I couldn't seem to put it down when I read it. I was glad to finish it though.
The ending, I felt, was not too well closed. Also, it could probably be due to personal beliefs and experiences, but I really didn't like the idea that both the writer and Esther were married, but were okay with sleeping around with other people. But I guess, to each their own eh?
There were, I think, also some situations left unanswered. Or maybe Paulo intended it to be open-ended. But I can say this though: I don't think I'd pick up another book of Paulo's. I don't mean that in a bad way or an offense; just that perhaps his books aren't really my cup of tea after all. ( )
  KrystleLow | Oct 27, 2016 |
To say that “The Zahir” is my least favorite Paulo Coelho book is an understatement. In fact, I only finished this book because I am very stubborn and because I was waiting for that signature Coelho payoff at the end. The payoff never came.

“The Zahir” is the story of a world famous author who is abandoned by his wife because their marriage has turned monotonous, their love has changed, and they have become different people. After writing and selling millions of copies of a book about his experience as the abandoned husband, the author is contacted by a young man who claims to know where the author’s wife is hiding. The author and the young man become friends…followed by literary allusions, historical asides, and philosophical musings. The author and the young man embark on a trip to find the Zahir (that which is external and surface-level in Islam, as well as the name the author uses to describe his wife). Like in many of his other books (The Alchemist, The Pilgrimage), the reader embarks on a pilgrimage with the author. This time, however, I didn’t much enjoy the trip. In truth, my favorite part of the book was the part told from the point-of-view of Mikhail, the young man from Kazakhstan who leads the author on a journey through Paris, through his own life, and eventually to the enigmatic wife.

This book is the reason I sometimes need a break from Paulo Coelho. ( )
  CarinaRodrigues | Mar 22, 2016 |
According to the author, “In Arabic zahir means ‘visible; present; incapable of going unnoticed.’ It can refer to an object or a person, and that object or person gradually takes over our every thought until we are unable to think of anything else. This could be considered a state of holiness or a state of madness.” In the novel, our narrator is an author whose wife disappears unexpectedly. She becomes his Zahir, and this “novel of obsession” details his journey (both spiritual and physical) to find her. Like many of Coelho’s other novels, it is a story of love, spirituality, redemption, and growth, among other things.

I like this book, although I like all of Coelho’s other books. This one is fairly similar to his other books; however, it’s different enough that I get something new from it. I generally have more questions than answers by the time I finish reading him, but I like books that make me think. I also really liked the truly international flavor of this book. Coelho takes us through France, Kazakhstan, Croatia, and Brazil, along with reminiscences from the United States, Afghanistan, Italy, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain, North Africa, and probably others that I’ve forgotten. Overall, it wasn’t quite as good as some of his others, but it was very good. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Paulo Coelhoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Costa, Margaret JullTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janssen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[four epigraphs] "O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who turn to you. Amen".

"What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose
one of them doth not leave the ninety and nine in the
wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
Luke 15:4".

"ITHACA [poem]
Constantine Cavafy (1863-1933)
translated by Rae Dalven".

"According to the writer Jorge Luis Borges, the idea of the Zahir comes from Islamic tradition [...]
Faubourg Saint-Pères
Encyclopedia of the Fantastic (1953)".
[...] This book is dedicated to you, Christina, my wife.
"Her name is Esther; she is a war correspondent who has just returned from Iraq because of the imminent invasion of that country; she is thirty years old, married, without children."
Freedom is not the absence of commitments, but the ability to choose—and to commit myself to—what is best for me.

The narrator of The Zahir is a bestselling novelist who lives in Paris and enjoys all the privileges money and celebrity bring. His wife of ten years, Esther, is a war correspondent who has disappeared along with a friend, Mikhail, who may or may not be her lover.

Was Esther kidnapped, murdered, or did she simply escape a marriage that left her unfulfilled? The narrator doesn't have any answers, but he has plenty of questions of his own. Then one day Mikhail finds the narrator and promises to reunite him with his wife. In his attempt to recapture a lost love, the narrator discovers something unexpected about himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

Set in Paris and in the enchanting landscape of central Asia, this new novel by the author of the international bestsellers The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes follows the journey of a man obsessed with finding the wife who left him without an explanation. The narrator of The Zahir is a bestselling novelist who lives in Paris and enjoys all the privileges that money and celebrity bring. His wife of ten years, Esther, is a war correspondent who, despite her professional success and freedom from the conventional constraints of marriage, is facing an existential crisis. When she disappears along with a friend, Mikhail, who may or may not be her lover, the authorities question the narrator. Was Esther kidnapped, killed, or did she simply abandon a marriage that left her unfulfilled? The narrator doesn't have any answers but he has plenty of questions of his own. Then one day Mikhail, the man with whom Esther was last seen, finds the narrator and promises to take him to his wife. In his attempt to recapture a love lost, the narrator discovers something unexpected about himself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,488,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible