Inside Out: A Novel by Barry Eisler

Inside Out: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Barry Eisler

Member:Chatterbox
Title:Inside Out: A Novel
Authors:Barry Eisler
Info:Ballantine Books (2010), Edition: 1st Printing, Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:Suspense, Mystery, Brooklyn Public Library

Inside Out by Barry Eisler

An interesting premise & I really liked the end. Political, but not party politics. Ben is definitely in a quandary with a lot of action & no one is clean. This is taken straight from the headlines, too. There's enough truth there that it makes you wonder if it is fiction or not.

I like Ben as a hero better than Rain. He's more believable - easier to relate to, especially in this situation. Great motivations for all the players & excellent characterization. Even the bad guys have understandable & believable motives. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
The CIA has lost some stuff. Evidence of their torture of people etc. An ex-agent named threatens to release this on the internet unless he gets a nice round 100 million in diamonds.

Treven is one of the guys tasked by a spook colonel superior to find him. No big fan of his bosses either, he ends up working with an FBI agent.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2012/02/inside-out-barry-eisler/ ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Feb 18, 2012 |
If you're looking for a political thriller with the bite of reality, then go no further. It's got good pacing, action, and an ear to the underbelly of the CIA political regime. ( )
  revslick | Oct 23, 2011 |
Inside Out by Barry Eisler 2010

Eisler sure knows how to write a page turner. I think I have read all of his other books (thanks Nick), and enjoyed them. This is the second of the books featuring Ben Treven, and I like the character. I also like when they continue along in books so that you can get to know them better. Ben is one of those guys that are good at their job though in this book it’s fairly ambiguous as to what that position might be, but he is not perfect. As I said it was a fast passed read regarding so CIA torture tapes and lots of maneuvering on how to get them back and to whose benefit. There is a bad guy that might not be a bad guy in the end, who has a secret. Some people might think it’s a bigger deal than I do but I understand that in some communities it is a bigger deal. I like the tie into Dox and Rain even if just to open up the chance of working together in future books. The real surprise to me came in the end as the action dies down to look at how the US really works, now I understand that this is a work of fiction and that it just underlines my personal thoughts that the system is broken and most people don’t know or care but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

I like Eisler’s writing in general but two things I wanted to mention in my first review of one of his books I like how he mentions specific equipment, clothing, and heck even a watch. Being a visual guy sometimes I look stuff up just to see what it is, some authors go overboard with this but Eisler is just right for me. Lastly he has a great website, I defiantly have found myself looking at it and following the links to the places that are in the books. Like the specifics the locations put me right there, hopefully out of the line of fire. www.barryeisler.com ( )
  23blue | Mar 6, 2011 |
not my cup of tea. i don't like fiction about evil america. first of all who cares and second no country is smart enough for tremendous conspiracies. ( )
  mahallett | Feb 6, 2011 |

Reluctantly agreeing to work unofficially for his old commander in order to clear himself of a legal dilemma, Ben Treven investigates the whereabouts of secret CIA tapes showing U.S. soldiers committing torture, records that a twisted bomb expert is using to blackmail the government.… (more)

31 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Inside Out by Barry Eisler was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,049,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible